• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1... Confirmed!!

9:32:50 AM :​
tim keller: hello, i have an HTC hero...is there a date when the update for andriod 2.1 is coming out for sprint ?

9:32:54 AM :​
Suzi R: May I know the details of your concern?

9:34:04 AM :​
Suzi R: I understand your concern.

9:34:42 AM :​
tim keller: do you know an offical date when the update is coming out ?

9:35:44 AM :​
Suzi R: It will be available in April 2010.

9:36:09 AM :​
Suzi R: I am sorry, it is not possible to provide you the exact date of it's availability at this time.

Upvote 0
9:37:29 AM :​
Lisa M: Hi Ic,

9:37:34 AM :​
Lisa M: May I have your concern in detail?

9:37:38 AM :​
ic weiner: hello, i have an HTC hero...is there a date when the update for andriod 2.1 is coming out for sprint ?

9:38:04 AM :​
Lisa M: Let me check this. Please allow me a few moments to get you the details.

9:38:39 AM :​
ic weiner: ok

9:39:29 AM :​
Lisa M: Thank you for waiting.

9:39:48 AM :​
Lisa M: We are actively working on having the Android 2.1 platform available to our Hero and Moment customers over the coming weeks.

Upvote 0
9:41:12 AM :​
Archie M: Hello. How are you?

9:41:16 AM :​
joe soggybottom: hello, i have an HTC hero...is there a date when the update for andriod 2.1 is coming out for sprint ?

9:41:42 AM :​
Archie M: Thank you for providing the details of your concern.

9:41:52 AM :​
Archie M: Let me check with this.

9:42:02 AM :​
joe soggybottom: ok

9:42:22 AM :​
Archie M: Thank you for being on hold.

9:43:07 AM :​
Archie M: The updated Android 2.1 will be available by April 2010.

9:43:16 AM :​
joe soggybottom: any offical date ?

9:44:02 AM :​
Archie M: There is specific launch date for the version as of now. You can chat back with us in start of April to get it confirm.

9:44:17 AM :​
Archie M: I am unable provide the details you requested as of now.

Upvote 0
9:56:00 AM :​
Jenny S: Hello.
9:56:06 AM :​
jon potatohead: hello, i have an HTC hero...is there a date when the update for andriod 2.1 is coming out for sprint ?

9:56:40 AM :​
Jenny S: Sure, let me check this for you.

9:56:50 AM :​
Jenny S: Allow me a few minutes please.

9:56:57 AM :​
jon potatohead: ok

10:00:05 AM :​
Jenny S: It will take me a few moments to check your account. Is that ok with you?

10:00:45 AM :​
jon potatohead: im asking for info not related to my account. why would you need to check my account

10:01:10 AM :​
Jenny S: I am sorry for my sentience.

10:01:50 AM :​
Jenny S: I would like to inform you it is not showing the date, It is reflecting that coming weeks of April.

Upvote 0
idk how people are getting march 26th out of these sprint people. i keep getting april

0:11:11 AM :​
cheif large package: hello, i have an HTC hero...is there a date when the update for andriod 2.1 is coming out for sprint ?
10:11:14 AM :​
Debra D: Hello.

10:11:29 AM :​
Debra D: Let me check it.

10:11:39 AM :​
Debra D: May I have a few moments while I retrieve the details?

10:11:48 AM :​
cheif large package: ok

10:16:10 AM :​
Debra D: I am glad to inform you that we are releasing the Android 2.1 in April. The exact date has not been announced.

Upvote 0
idk how people are getting march 26th out of these sprint people. i keep getting april

0:11:11 AM :​
cheif large package: hello, i have an HTC hero...is there a date when the update for andriod 2.1 is coming out for sprint ?
10:11:14 AM :​
Debra D: Hello.

10:11:29 AM :​
Debra D: Let me check it.

10:11:39 AM :​
Debra D: May I have a few moments while I retrieve the details?

10:11:48 AM :​
cheif large package: ok

10:16:10 AM :​
Debra D: I am glad to inform you that we are releasing the Android 2.1 in April. The exact date has not been announced.

you are crazy!!! :eek: :p :D

My guess.. they are all now checking your account and seeing that you keep asking this question. So they are all repeating the original answer.
or
it is true.. about April :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
idk how ANYONE got march 26th out of them. i tired my hardest...

10:22:17 AM :​
Frank H: Hi.
10:22:20 AM :​
Dick Hairy: hello, i have an HTC hero...is there a date when the update for andriod 2.1 is coming out for sprint ?

10:22:57 AM :​
Frank H: I understand your concern let me check this for you.

10:23:01 AM :​
Dick Hairy: ok

10:25:27 AM :​
Frank H: As per our update, this HTC hero will be available in April 2010. We don't have an exact dat that when it is going to be launched.

10:25:56 AM :​
Frank H: However you can pre-register yourself to get the information of the exact launching date.

10:26:11 AM :​
Dick Hairy: listen up frank h. i know you know when its going to be launched so cut the horse crap and tell me. us HTC hero owners have been waiting about 4 months for this update.

10:26:12 AM :​
Frank H: This registration would be free of cost.

10:26:28 AM :​
Dick Hairy: we just want a date

10:27:37 AM :​
Frank H: I understand your concern.

10:28:00 AM :​
Frank H: It will be available in April 2010.

10:28:12 AM :​
Frank H: I am sorry it is not poss

10:28:28 AM :​
Frank H: Sorry for the above line.

10:28:41 AM :​
Dick Hairy: im very annoyed with the phone as of now without this update. a simple task of deleting my texts messages does not even work on this phone and the update is suppose to fix the problem.

10:29:14 AM :​
Frank H: I understand your frustration and regret any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of this issue.

10:29:16 AM :​
Dick Hairy: who makes a phone where you CANT delete text messages, tell me frank...would you want a phone that you cannot delete your text messages when you have a controlling girlfriend. i dont think so

10:31:07 AM :​
Frank H: I understand this and am sorry for this trouble.

10:31:26 AM :​
Dick Hairy: no your not sorry. you wont tell me when the update is going to be released.

10:33:22 AM :​
Frank H: I am sorry what we have is that it is going to be launched in April 2010. If I had any specific date for this launched then I would be happy to provide this date to you.

Upvote 0
It will be out when it comes out. Sometime between ten seconds ago and the end of June. Until it's out, there's no sense in going on and on about when it's going to be released...so please stop with the pointless threads about how 2.1 is coming, and you know a date because some moron at Sprint tech support told you so.

Thank you for nuking this thread... :DIt's really pathetic every time u log into the Sprint Hero forum and see another 2.1 thread claiming to know insider information about its release! When this sh*t drops it drops end of story. Anxiously awaiting a date that some screen name on Sprint chat spoon fed u is ridiculous. Go download 2.1 from xda with the fixes(including MMS) and see wat 2.1 should be like on our phones but won't be in reality thanks to Sprint's crap embedded with the software. Download it nd satisfy ur hard-on for 2.1 until the real thing drops in which swarms of developers will have an official build out within a week. Then u can proceed to download the real 2.1 build without all the Sprint crap.

Upvote 0
idk how ANYONE got march 26th out of them. i tired my hardest...

10:22:17 AM :​
Frank H: Hi.
10:22:20 AM :​
Dick Hairy: hello, i have an HTC hero...is there a date when the update for andriod 2.1 is coming out for sprint ?

10:22:57 AM :​
Frank H: I understand your concern let me check this for you.

10:23:01 AM :​
Dick Hairy: ok

10:25:27 AM :​
Frank H: As per our update, this HTC hero will be available in April 2010. We don't have an exact dat that when it is going to be launched.

10:25:56 AM :​
Frank H: However you can pre-register yourself to get the information of the exact launching date.

10:26:11 AM :​
Dick Hairy: listen up frank h. i know you know when its going to be launched so cut the horse crap and tell me. us HTC hero owners have been waiting about 4 months for this update.

10:26:12 AM :​
Frank H: This registration would be free of cost.

10:26:28 AM :​
Dick Hairy: we just want a date

10:27:37 AM :​
Frank H: I understand your concern.

10:28:00 AM :​
Frank H: It will be available in April 2010.

10:28:12 AM :​
Frank H: I am sorry it is not poss

10:28:28 AM :​
Frank H: Sorry for the above line.

10:28:41 AM :​
Dick Hairy: im very annoyed with the phone as of now without this update. a simple task of deleting my texts messages does not even work on this phone and the update is suppose to fix the problem.

10:29:14 AM :​
Frank H: I understand your frustration and regret any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of this issue.

10:29:16 AM :​
Dick Hairy: who makes a phone where you CANT delete text messages, tell me frank...would you want a phone that you cannot delete your text messages when you have a controlling girlfriend. i dont think so

10:31:07 AM :​
Frank H: I understand this and am sorry for this trouble.

10:31:26 AM :​
Dick Hairy: no your not sorry. you wont tell me when the update is going to be released.

10:33:22 AM :​
Frank H: I am sorry what we have is that it is going to be launched in April 2010. If I had any specific date for this launched then I would be happy to provide this date to you.
I dont have time to quote everything people, but I did speak with Sprint yesterday about obtaining a EVO. At the end of our call I asked about the 2.1 update. She answered it will be out at the end of March. I was very specific about when. She said there is no specific date but it says at the end of March. NO April people! This answer came from technical support, so I hope her information was accurate. But that was my experience and I wanted to share it with my fellow geeks.

Baltimore City to Piscataway NJ

Upvote 0
Not to add to this, as I've tried really hard to keep my thoughts to myself regarding this issue. I'm as anxious as any to get 2.1 (and no, I'm not rooted, nor do I have plans to), because, as I've posted in another thread I've started, I've had a lot of problems with my Hero (determined to be faulty hardware on the original device, and the replacement I just received is doing similar things) and I'm hoping 2.1 solves or alleviates a lot of those problems.

Because I've been dealing with various levels of Customer Support and Tech Support on these issues this past week, I've, of course, tried to get any info I can out of the reps through the course of my conversations to see if I could get any info. The responses I've gotten are pretty much verbatim what is littered throughout these forums regarding this topic. Ranging from, "Yes, you will be able to obtain the update on March 26 from Sprint.com/Downloads" to "We don't think it's going to wipe your phone's memory when it is released on April 4th (which is Easter BTW)" to "What is the 2.1 update?".

The bottom line is, in dealing with the various representatives at Sprint on my issue(s), I have nothing but praise to give them for their willingness to listen, help and attempt to resolve any issues as best they can, whether it's through troubleshooting or replacing a device. For the most part, they have come through for me. Unfortunately, as nice and respectful as they are, the vast majority (I've gotten a few who are the exception) are just not that technically proficient. I've actually had to explain TO THEM what the phone SHOULD BE doing or how to fix it. Granted, they need to know multiple device's specs and fixes, while we just need to know one device, however, some basic stuff that applies to all phones sometimes becomes trivial to them. I had a guy that I had to explain what the Slot Cycle Index was and what "password" (my MSL) I needed to make that happen. Again, he was more than happy to assist, he just wasn't too technically proficient.

What I'm getting at here, is that there is a really good chance that a lot of these "insiders" or CS Reps that are giving this info out, either:

1. Have NO idea what you're talking about and are just trying to give you something to go away so that they can move on to the next inquiry.
2. Truly don't have any information regarding a release date (most likely scenario) and are just reiterating what they've been directed to tell customers.
or
3. Are just blowing complete smoke up our rears for the sake of doing so.

My dad also has a Hero and dropped this one on me two weeks ago when I was over at his house:

"Hey, did you know that our Heros are getting 4G?"

me "Oh really, where'd you hear that?"

him "My 'guy' over at the Sprint store told me"

This either means that:

A. The guy was spewing complete BS at my father, knowing darn well that it's not possible for that hardware to produce 4G.

or

B. Telling my dad, what he, the Sprint rep, thought to be true.

Bottom line, with all of this explanation is this, it's coming out. It's coming out relatively soon (early Q2 according to Sprint's Tweet), it's coming out for the HTC Hero (CDMA) adn that's pretty much all we know. Believe me, I'm still crossing my fingers is DOES come out on the 26th, however, if it doesn't, it doesn't. No amount of chat transcripts or phone calls to Tech Support or calling "friends of friends who are managers at the deli that the guy from Sprint who fixes phones eats at and said it was coming out" is going to change it.

I don't want to offend anyone or poke the hornet's nest, but all of the bickering between ourselves is really only compouding the frustration. At least it is for me.

Upvote 0
Not to add to this, as I've tried really hard to keep my thoughts to myself regarding this issue. I'm as anxious as any to get 2.1 (and no, I'm not rooted, nor do I have plans to), because, as I've posted in another thread I've started, I've had a lot of problems with my Hero (determined to be faulty hardware on the original device, and the replacement I just received is doing similar things) and I'm hoping 2.1 solves or alleviates a lot of those problems.

Because I've been dealing with various levels of Customer Support and Tech Support on these issues this past week, I've, of course, tried to get any info I can out of the reps through the course of my conversations to see if I could get any info. The responses I've gotten are pretty much verbatim what is littered throughout these forums regarding this topic. Ranging from, "Yes, you will be able to obtain the update on March 26 from Sprint.com/Downloads" to "We don't think it's going to wipe your phone's memory when it is released on April 4th (which is Easter BTW)" to "What is the 2.1 update?".

The bottom line is, in dealing with the various representatives at Sprint on my issue(s), I have nothing but praise to give them for their willingness to listen, help and attempt to resolve any issues as best they can, whether it's through troubleshooting or replacing a device. For the most part, they have come through for me. Unfortunately, as nice and respectful as they are, the vast majority (I've gotten a few who are the exception) are just not that technically proficient. I've actually had to explain TO THEM what the phone SHOULD BE doing or how to fix it. Granted, they need to know multiple device's specs and fixes, while we just need to know one device, however, some basic stuff that applies to all phones sometimes becomes trivial to them. I had a guy that I had to explain what the Slot Cycle Index was and what "password" (my MSL) I needed to make that happen. Again, he was more than happy to assist, he just wasn't too technically proficient.

What I'm getting at here, is that there is a really good chance that a lot of these "insiders" or CS Reps that are giving this info out, either:

1. Have NO idea what you're talking about and are just trying to give you something to go away so that they can move on to the next inquiry.
2. Truly don't have any information regarding a release date (most likely scenario) and are just reiterating what they've been directed to tell customers.
or
3. Are just blowing complete smoke up our rears for the sake of doing so.

My dad also has a Hero and dropped this one on me two weeks ago when I was over at his house:

"Hey, did you know that our Heros are getting 4G?"

me "Oh really, where'd you hear that?"

him "My 'guy' over at the Sprint store told me"

This either means that:

A. The guy was spewing complete BS at my father, knowing darn well that it's not possible for that hardware to produce 4G.

or

B. Telling my dad, what he, the Sprint rep, thought to be true.

Bottom line, with all of this explanation is this, it's coming out. It's coming out relatively soon (early Q2 according to Sprint's Tweet), it's coming out for the HTC Hero (CDMA) adn that's pretty much all we know. Believe me, I'm still crossing my fingers is DOES come out on the 26th, however, if it doesn't, it doesn't. No amount of chat transcripts or phone calls to Tech Support or calling "friends of friends who are managers at the deli that the guy from Sprint who fixes phones eats at and said it was coming out" is going to change it.

I don't want to offend anyone or poke the hornet's nest, but all of the bickering between ourselves is really only compouding the frustration. At least it is for me.

word!!!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones