• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1.. Don't do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just when I was about to update to 2.1...

CAn anyone tell me if application user data is retained? I.e: saved fish in fishin' 2 go app, login and settings data for apps like bloo or handcent, etc,....

I've asked before with no response...

Your kidding right? asked and answered.

sure it will save everything on your phone go for it:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Is 1.5 so bad that you want to "get off Android all together", or were you perhaps expecting too much from an unofficial, unsanctioned, untested copy of an OS that some random person leaked to the internet?

There's nothing wrong with cautioning the general population against downloading and installing the 2.1 leak, but you don't help your argument by decrying the OS as a whole.

Upvote 0
butthead.. if you read what I wrote.. I know.. I take responsibility.. just letting others know that unless you feel like messing with the phone a lot.. don't do it. Here's a tip.. if you love 2.1.. don't read a thread that says in the title not to install it... since we are stating the obvious.

Upvote 0
Just when I was about to update to 2.1...

CAn anyone tell me if application user data is retained? I.e: saved fish in fishin' 2 go app, login and settings data for apps like bloo or handcent, etc,....

I've asked before with no response...

no it is not because the app and all information relating to it are stored on the phone and when you flash a new rom the entire phone is wiped

Upvote 0
butthead.. if you read what I wrote.. I know.. I take responsibility.. just letting others know that unless you feel like messing with the phone a lot.. don't do it. Here's a tip.. if you love 2.1.. don't read a thread that says in the title not to install it... since we are stating the obvious.

Or join the thread and try to figure what the OP is doing wrong.

Upvote 0
Is 1.5 so bad that you want to "get off Android all together", or were you perhaps expecting too much from an unofficial, unsanctioned, untested copy of an OS that some random person leaked to the internet?

There's nothing wrong with cautioning the general population against downloading and installing the 2.1 leak, but you don't help your argument by decrying the OS as a whole.

Im just not that impressed.. thats all. The phone manages applications so poorly.. unless you know what you're doing.. after 5 things its super sluggish with everything open. I picture most people who have no interest geeking out on a phone wanting to smash the thing. Its no wonder android is used by 80% males where every other os is 50/50.

Upvote 0
Im just not that impressed.. thats all. The phone manages applications so poorly.. unless you know what you're doing.. after 5 things its super sluggish with everything open. I picture most people who have no interest geeking out on a phone wanting to smash the thing. Its no wonder android is used by 80% males where every other os is 50/50.

Really? Everyone I meet loves the phone and with the exception of the iPhone I would wager that smartphone usage is predominantly male.

Upvote 0
I had everything (contacts, calendar, etc.) sync back from google. I didn't load anything else or back anything else up. The only problem I am having is with gmail not showing images. Everything is working great.

just a hunch...feel bad for the people that are having problems when i havent had any..well some but just little things. nothing like not being able to make calls, phone crashing 3 times a day, and so on...after a flashed my phone i even made a new gmail account not because i claim to know something know else does, but couldn't remember my password sense i dont use it. i made another account and everything seemed to work out.

Upvote 0
Otd.... I didn't want to bug you with a pm again, but can you answer my previous post? GUess its in the wrong thread... ;)

The phone will be wiped of all data.

come to think of it.. i guess I am. The actual phone wont work sometimes without a restart, or an application will freeze and Ill need to restart to get something going again. Sometimes I just task kill but that doesnt always work.

Have you tried reflashing the rom?

Upvote 0
The only problem I've experienced is the gmail issue. But this is only when you reboot your phone. How often are you rebooting your phone for it to be that big of a deal? Like others here have said, I would do a factory reset. . .see if that does anything. If not, reflash the phone. Here is the file I used and have had none to very few issues.

PB00IMG.zip

Upvote 0
Otd.... I didn't want to bug you with a pm again, but can you answer my previous post? GUess its in the wrong thread... ;)

No offense to OTD but she is not the only person on this forum, nor did she take on the job of answering every question in every thread, especially when it has been sufficiently answered by 2 people.

If you were going to write the same wuestion over and over again on the same thread no matter how many times other users answer it then not only are bugging OTD as much as you would have if you PMed her, but you are also bugging the rest of us.

Upvote 0
hey keg.. all I said is Im not super impressed so far. Heres a suggestion.. stop reading this, and go read other threads.. then we will all be happy. This isnt some grand agenda.. its just one dude saying 2.1 has been a headache.. and I like, but dont love android. Talk about fan boys. Google's not giving you kickbacks.. and you paid for it. Last I checked a person is allowed to be critical of something they pay $100 a month for.

Upvote 0
Gotcha. So it's more of a case of you not being happy with what 1.5 had to offer, and hoping for more out of 2.1 and being let down? If so, I'd guess an official "bug free" relase of 2.1 won't address your concerns either.

The Eris is my first smart phone, but I'm pretty happy with its performance given that it's pretty much a mini laptop with severly reduced hardware specs (especially since its open source nature lends itself to third-party contributions of varying quality).

I share your opinion that the 2.1 leak isn't for the average user, but I maintain that your concerns aren't so much with 2.1 as they are with Android as a whole, which is probably a different perspective than most readers of this forum have. In any event, good luck with finding the right solution for you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones