• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1.. Don't do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg.. forget I ever criticized the OS.. I LOVE ANDROID!!!! Ok?

I actually liked 1.5 ok except for the app managing.. like, if you keep pressing home instead of back it leaves all the apps open. Wwho would actually know that? Wheres it even say it? If I wasnt a nerd Id never know and always wonder why the phone is so slow. I can see why iphones wont multitask.. its idiotproofing.

Upvote 0
You have such radical options. "go 1.5 or go home" is what it seems like. Why? This was a leak, you should have expected there to be hiccups.

You know how users kept posting like sheep in the 2.1 thread, asking when it would come out? Their lack of independent thinking took them to loading 2.1 up, ****ing it up, and then asking questions and annoying the rest of the community. On the internet, we sugar coat it and say "oh, the person isn't tech-savy." Really, the user is a dumbass, and in real life, would follow its GPS into a river and then try and sue.

With that being said, you took the chance, take responsibility for it. I cried and complained that 2.1 would never come in time. I got the leak the night it was released. Some minor bugs, but I stfu because I knew I had, at one point, said "I don't care if it has bugs, give it to those that want it, and give it now!!" So here I am, minor issues aside, enjoying 2.1. If you aren't, live with it. You made the decision.

You have every right to complain about something you pay $100+ for every month. Breaking your contract is one option if VZW or Android or whatever it is that's getting to you, gets to you.

Reactions: 5thAgent
Upvote 0
well said smacky.

and slop, one more thing:

...but my computer saved the file name as "PM00IMG(2)" because I had downloaded the file from two different hosts..

IT WON'T WORK UNLESS THE FILE NAME READS EXACTLY PM00IMG

I removed the file that had the (2) beside it, and put the original PM00IMG on the card...It worked beautifully.

delete the other file from your computer first

Upvote 0
you have such radical options. "go 1.5 or go home" is what it seems like. Why? This was a leak, you should have expected there to be hiccups.

You know how users kept posting like sheep in the 2.1 thread, asking when it would come out? Their lack of independent thinking took them to loading 2.1 up, ****ing it up, and then asking questions and annoying the rest of the community. On the internet, we sugar coat it and say "oh, the person isn't tech-savy." really, the user is a dumbass, and in real life, would follow its gps into a river and then try and sue.

With that being said, you took the chance, take responsibility for it. I cried and complained that 2.1 would never come in time. I got the leak the night it was released. Some minor bugs, but i stfu because i knew i had, at one point, said "i don't care if it has bugs, give it to those that want it, and give it now!!" so here i am, minor issues aside, enjoying 2.1. If you aren't, live with it. You made the decision.

You have every right to complain about something you pay $100+ for every month. Breaking your contract is one option if vzw or android or whatever it is that's getting to you, gets to you.

b187741953.jpg

Upvote 0
have I not taken responsibility in almost every post? I know what I did.. Im not blaming anyone. Ive said it a million times.. all Im doing is warning others that if they arent in the mood to dick around with their phones.. dont do it! Sheeesh.

Then I mistakingly tossed in that in my opinion android is just OK, not great. AN OPINION! We are allowed to have them. For all the talk you guys do on "iphone fanboys" the irony is a little too thick. Truth is all phones are more promise than delivery.. but the companies dont care, because they know people will be too busy having the iphones vs android fight to actually criticize the company.. actually just the opposite.

I think my eris is just o.k. OK? And I wish I didnt jump to 2.1, but I did. Its my fault.. just a cautionary tale warning others that not everyone is having a great time with the leaked os..

I cant believe I answered you smacky.. you obviously just read the thread title and nothing else I wrote.. reading comprehension.. check into it.

Reactions: ericDylan
Upvote 0
I really don't understand all the fuss. I have never done anything like this before to a phone. But I am so happy I put 2.1 on my Eris. It is now faster and more stable than ever before. The screens and keyboard are more responsive and less laggy. I can finally type without the phone having a come-apart while trying to keep up. The enhancements of 2.1 are freaking awesome!

Another significant thing I have noticed is the scroll speed is finally smooth! And from my observation just as smooth as my ipod touch. That, alone, was the biggest complaint I had with 1.5.

I hope those with troubles can get their phones working as they would like, but for me, I am thrilled! Oh, by the way, my phone cost me nothing and I pay less per month for a smart phone than anyone I know. Bonus! ;-)

Upvote 0
Have you tried a hard reset or flashing the Rom again? I'm not having any of the problems you describe.

These are part of the actions, after combing the Bugs and Fixes thread, that I tried when my 2.1 flash was giving me problems.

Link to that post... success. :)

After that... it's been smooth sailing. None of the previous problems, but mind you it's only been two days since hard reset and reflash. Will update if it flakes... so far so good, really cool.

The way it is now, with *every* app, is enough for me to believe in the build, and dismiss the Toyota-UA-like hype. Sure, you have to log into Gmail with each reboot... well outweighed by the advantages. ;)

Upvote 0
there is no fix for that? And general android question.. can you just disable gmail altogether? The only time I use it is to pay for an app.

Nope... one of the things under the caveat 'beta'... ;) Kinda minor, if you ask me.

You can just uninstall it, I think. You can disable autosynch on it if you want it to behave in the background, then just trash the icon.

Upvote 0
have I not taken responsibility in almost every post? I know what I did.. Im not blaming anyone. Ive said it a million times.. all Im doing is warning others that if they arent in the mood to dick around with their phones.. dont do it! Sheeesh.

Then I mistakingly tossed in that in my opinion android is just OK, not great. AN OPINION! We are allowed to have them. For all the talk you guys do on "iphone fanboys" the irony is a little too thick. Truth is all phones are more promise than delivery.. but the companies dont care, because they know people will be too busy having the iphones vs android fight to actually criticize the company.. actually just the opposite.

I think my eris is just o.k. OK? And I wish I didnt jump to 2.1, but I did. Its my fault.. just a cautionary tale warning others that not everyone is having a great time with the leaked os..

I cant believe I answered you smacky.. you obviously just read the thread title and nothing else I wrote.. reading comprehension.. check into it.

After reading your first post, I knew right away that the thread was going to be an hour-long special of you repainting the walls of this thread with your Maxi pad.

It doesn't sound like you're accepting responsibility, and it especially doesn't sound like you did your research. If you read up on Android before you bought the phone, you'd now you need a GMail account. Everything revolves around it, whether you use it or not.

You also had access to over 1,000 posts of people giving their opinions on 2.1. I don't know when you updated to 2.1, but if you were smart, you did one of two things. If you were an experienced user, you would have flashed 2.1 and known, going in, that it would have bugs. You would have learned to live with said bugs because 2.1 was not released by VZW, it was from the internet. If you had common sense, you would have waited to see what others had said about 2.1 and you would have made a decision then.

If you did one of the two above and it failed, you accept you had bad luck or a it was a call of bad judgement and you live with it.

Upvote 0
omg dude.. ive said it everytime.. I DID IT! I know that! Believe me. Ive been breaking my stuff for fun my whole life.. I got over it at about age 11. How many times you gotta give me the dad speech?

I also did a ton of research.. I understand it revolves around google. I just personally don't need it to revolve that much. JUST A QUESTION!

Third paragraph is just more of the same.. to WHICH I ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY! Do you want me to sign something for you? Just because I accept it's a shady upgrade doesn't mean I have to give it high praise. I only started this as another opinion because I've had nothing but trouble.

So what now.. should I carve it in my arm with a razor blade? What would make you happy about me frustrated with 2.1 even though others love it.

On another note.. a lot of my crashes are an all black screen. Anyone else get those?

Again.. you read nothing, just assumed you knew what i was going to say smacky.. go read em so I dont have to do that lame forum thing of quoting everytime I say i installed a leaked upgrade.

Now git outta my room, dad.

Upvote 0
Several people have had problems until they hard reset the phone and then reinstalled. Just make sure you back up all your contacts in google so that when you wipe your phone you can sync and get them back. I also backed up my SD card to my computer and then reformatted my SD before loading the zip file to make sure i had a clean slate before i started. So here is my procedure:

1 . Back up everything to computer. SD card to computer and contacts to google. Check to make sure that all your phone contacts are there, because ones created on your phone will not sync up to google. But everything in google will sync down to your phone. Make note of all your apps or back them up to the SD using ASTRO or something.

2. Factory reset the phone. Be aware that this will wipe out all your settings, contacts, and so forth.

3. do a *228 option one

Edit : reformat the SD

4. Move the zip file to the SD card and then reboot. Follow the instructions you have from Caddyman posted earlier.

5. Restore your data from your computer to the SD card, And restore the apps and UI to your liking.

THE end (or beginning, I hope)

Upvote 0
thanks goenmo.. I noticed that google contacts has a s/n48484884 type of number on contacts.. does that mean it'll now auto reconnect me with facebook?

The call problem just started today.. as did the camera crash and no youtube sound. All in front of my friend that loves making fun of my android phone saying "you shoulda got an iphone..."

Upvote 0
I was just wondering what that user data is in google contacts.. when you go to gmail from a web browser. It seems like maybe it saves their profile # automatically.

Is there a way to not have apps like footprints and amazon mp3 store open? There are a few more that seem like they auto launch in 2.1.. or is that just in there.

Upvote 0
The call problem just started today.. as did the camera crash and no youtube sound. All in front of my friend that loves making fun of my android phone saying "you shoulda got an iphone..."

I ahve had a few issues, like the gmail log in thing once or twice. But since I don't turn off my phone but once every couple weeks, it is not really an issue. It only seems to do it once in a while when i reboot my phone. That, the gmail imbedded picture issue, and some links in apps not connecting to web, is about it for my problems. Everything else works great. No call issues. No Handcent problems. No sound problems. Nothing major :)

Upvote 0
omg dude.. ive said it everytime.. I DID IT! I know that! Believe me. Ive been breaking my stuff for fun my whole life.. I got over it at about age 11. How many times you gotta give me the dad speech?

I also did a ton of research.. I understand it revolves around google. I just personally don't need it to revolve that much. JUST A QUESTION!

Third paragraph is just more of the same.. to WHICH I ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY! Do you want me to sign something for you? Just because I accept it's a shady upgrade doesn't mean I have to give it high praise. I only started this as another opinion because I've had nothing but trouble.

So what now.. should I carve it in my arm with a razor blade? What would make you happy about me frustrated with 2.1 even though others love it.

On another note.. a lot of my crashes are an all black screen. Anyone else get those?

Again.. you read nothing, just assumed you knew what i was going to say smacky.. go read em so I dont have to do that lame forum thing of quoting everytime I say i installed a leaked upgrade.

Now git outta my room, dad.

If I were a dad at my age, I would have done what you did. Not take responsibility. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones