• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2.1 firmware versions for spica

Sister Bob

Jun 15, 2010
Canada
Hi everyone! I'm new as you can see and I have some questions that I hope I can get some answers to. Also, I hope that I'm not starting up a topic that already exists, but I couldn't find anything that answered what I wanted to know.

Anyway. I just purchased my Samsung galaxy Spica a couple of days ago and was planning on rooting it/upgrading to 2.1. However, after looking around, I see that there are a bunch of different firmware versions for Android 2.1 on the Spica. I understand why there are different versions, my question is: which one is right for me? Are some faster than others? Is there one that works best on a Canadian (Rogers) Spica (which is what I have)?

I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing the absolute best thing in terms of upgrading before I go ahead and void my warranty. Also, is there anyway for me to backup an exact copy of my current 1.5 with all the rogers stuff that I can put back later? Can I ever un-(or de-)root? I'm just a bit worried that something will go wrong one day and then when I bring it in they tell me my warranty is void, tough luck, etc.

Uhm... Yes that's all I wanted to say. Thanks a bunch either way!

Most of your questions ARE answered in other threads.

See this thread started by a Rogers user. HERE

Other Canadian Rogers users have updated their firmware to 2.1. All you need do is install firmware, set to English, and enter your (Rogers) APN (Access Point names) settings.

You will find your current APN settings

Menu
Settings
Wireless & Networks
Mobile Network
Access Point Names
Your Provider.

Forget rolling back to 1.6.

If you want to backup your data,
I wrote some backup instructions Here

If you do update your phone, and subsequently root your phone, yes you can roll back to previous firmware, which depending on that firmware will (un-root) you phone again, although not rollback to Rogers 1.5.

Reactions: Sister Bob
Upvote 0
Just finished upgrading, everything seems to work well, if slowly. 1 odd thing is that the market shortcut disappeared from the desktop randomly but other than that.

Just need to get everything else up and running (live wallpapers, etc)

Thanks for the help, Beerkan.

Edit: It appears that I can't access the internet at all through the rogers network... I wonder why that is?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones