• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 ROM - Is it faster than the 1.5 Sense???

you mean bridge

I was one of those people... and I hardly think of myself as a troll... I did say I would eat it though...

eating_crow.jpg

Upvote 0
I never said that I didn't think it would be faster or slower or what ever. certainly the number of apps or even one bad app could effect it. But you can't discount the effect that use over time may have on the device. You could say that the device is super fast now, but will start to slow over time but maybe not as much as it would with 1.5.

Just saying take into account all the variables before declaring anything.

Upvote 0
Anyone else notice that they now have more app memory? I have all my old apps installed (save Weather Bug and Waze) and I am right at about 90 Mb, but was at about 60 Mb before I installed 2.1.

Also, it is a hell of a lot faster. :D

You don't run a task manager, so how do you know how much MB you have?

I used the "Running Settings"

24MB +91 in 31 Other: 36mb in 4.

It also says that the only things running are:

Touch Input, Calender, Quick Calendar, Refresh Service (part of quick cal)

Does that mean nothing else is "running" ? If i open ATM, it shows me otherwise..

Upvote 0
You don't run a task manager, so how do you know how much MB you have?

I used the "Running Settings"

24MB +91 in 31 Other: 36mb in 4.

It also says that the only things running are:

Touch Input, Calender, Quick Calendar, Refresh Service (part of quick cal)

Does that mean nothing else is "running" ? If i open ATM, it shows me otherwise..

Sorry, I am talking about ROM, not RAM. For some reason 2.1 appears to be handling app memory better than 1.5 did.

Upvote 0
I was one of those people... and I hardly think of myself as a troll... I did say I would eat it though...

I actually figured just the opposite. I had a hunch the Eris would run better with 2.1. 2.1 is furthered refined than 1.5. There are all sorts of theories out there as to why Sense specially has problems with 1.5. 2.1 handles memory and CPU resources much more efficiently than 1.5.

Upvote 0
How's the keyboard lag? I've always had terrible lag when typing on websites and a slight lag in the native SMS app. Also, how fast is the portrait-to-landscape transition in 2.1? Those are my two biggest issues with 1.5 and if this ROM fixes that I'm willing to take the plunge.

Both are much improved for me.

Reactions: ScarcelyAware
Upvote 0
much much snappier. just about everything is faster and smoother. very impressed.

just after typing this the phone started getting REALLY slow and wouldn't play music out the speaker. nice. turned it off and back on and it's fixed. i've been having to restart quite a bit the last two days. hopefully it won't continue this way or will have some fix in the regular release.

Upvote 0
just after typing this the phone started getting REALLY slow and wouldn't play music out the speaker. nice. turned it off and back on and it's fixed. i've been having to restart quite a bit the last two days. hopefully it won't continue this way or will have some fix in the regular release.

I had weird things happen that fixed with a restart when I first put 2.1 on. I did like 5 restarts that first day. Since then, haven't restarted and haven't had any problems. I think it was the ooh, got it, installing everything I used to have problem, and now that I've slowed down installing things, I'm not seeing stuff like that anymore. **knocks on wood** so I do think it just needs a little bit to "settle in".

Upvote 0
Well then let me ask you this, guys. Is there anything on the phone that IS laggy or slow?

Seems like everyone that has installed the rom can agree for the most part that it is faster and snappier than the 1.5 Sense. But is there anything that has remained slow for them?

Lag when opening some apps? Lag when you have low signal (0 or 1 bars)? Any hint of lag when swiping between the 7 homescreens?

Upvote 0
The update is much faster...fast enough to get me to hang onto my Eris until the Incredible is released. Seriously though, I was very surprised at how well it's handled things like Expose' and having everything sync'd.
Navigation seems to work fine, but it has to download components from the app store.
Not all is pretty and nice...
Answering incoming calls and making calls can still be laggy. I've missed two calls while trying to answer them and had one call go out twice...literally I had my wife on hold while calling her?
Overall am I happy with it? Yes, and definitely much happier than I was with 1.5.

Upvote 0
The update is much faster...fast enough to get Answering incoming calls and making calls can still be laggy...

This, to me, is simply unacceptable. When you request to make a call or a call is coming in, Android should make that, and all actions related to it, TOP priority. I mean literally freeze all other processes. Could you imagine trying to dial 911 while your Eris decides it has better things to do?

Upvote 0
Can u type in landscape mode in google search on the homescreen?

Nope. still portrait mode only. I hoped that one day we could have landscape mode home screen too like the cliq, but oh well.

Well then let me ask you this, guys. Is there anything on the phone that IS laggy or slow?

Seems like everyone that has installed the rom can agree for the most part that it is faster and snappier than the 1.5 Sense. But is there anything that has remained slow for them?

Lag when opening some apps? Lag when you have low signal (0 or 1 bars)? Any hint of lag when swiping between the 7 homescreens?

No lag between the home screens. Definitely more laggy on bookmarks as previously mentioned but the browser overall is much faster. Also the dialer seems slower for me at times.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones