• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 to begin rollout this week - Motorola (Updated)

I find it hilarious that just a few weeks ago every Droid power-user was totally indignent over the fact the OTA update to 2.1 didn't come on January 21. Then a whole bunch of them (myself included) rooted their Droids and now really don't care too much about the OTA because they have found how awesome the ROMs that different Devs put out are. (myself included)

This may be confirmation bias on my part but it seems like a really big portion of people who have rooted their phones only did so after realizing that an OTA wasn't coming January 21st. Just look at all the root related threads that popped up in the weeks following.

That one somewhat arbitrary date may have significantly changed the user base of the Droid forever.

and... +1 "I'm still excited for the 2.1 update just to see what the Devs do with it"

almost an exact description of my scenario, only with a minor twist:

I wasn't necessarily waiting for 2.1, I was waiting to see if an update was gonna brick rooted phones. Then I realized it was also possible for an update to prevent phones from being rooted and I didn't wanna miss that boat :p

Upvote 0
i just have root, the higher quality video recording mod, and the auto play in high quality youtube mod. I'm very excited for the new update. I don't have no custom rom so I should get the OTA update on my phone right? and it will just unroot me?
First, see my post a few above this one about what you need to have on your phone to prevent it from installing the update until you want to. It's imperitive to have all that working first.

Once that's done, just wait a bit for the ROM Devs to release their version of 2.1 which will retain root access, as well as having more bells & whistles than the standard 2.1 release, I'm sure.

Upvote 0
Direct from Engadget:

[FONT=&quot]http://www.facebook.com/motorola?v=feed&story_fbid=294428153158&ref=mf[/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://www.facebook.com/motorola?v=feed&story_fbid=294428153158&ref=mf[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]We knew Android 2.1 was coming for the Droid, but we'll confess -- we didn't expect it to come this soon. Motorola is now reporting via its official Facebook page that it's "happy to relay the 2.1 upgrade to Droid will start to roll out this week," going on to tease that it "will have more information to share on other device upgrades later." There's no detail on what the Droid update will entail or whether it'll roll out to every user this week (we doubt it), but by all indications, this is a promising sign that Moto's keeping the pedal to the metal, we'd say.

[Thanks, andrewcweaver]
[FONT=&quot]Motorola: Droid update to Android 2.1 'will start to roll out this week' originally appeared on Engadget on Mon, 08 Feb 2010 17:14:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Permalink |
post_label_source.gif
Facebook (official Motorola account) | Email this | Comments [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
AvU3Gf0F80Q
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
View article...[/FONT]

Upvote 0
I know the things droid 2.1 isnt getting but has it been confirmed that we r still getting 5 screens?

+1 for 5 screens. I could care less about any of the other parts of 2.1 but I have wanted more home screens since day one (without a home app add-on). I have resisted the root so far but if I don't get 5 I'll have to make the move (once it is available).
J.

Upvote 0
Too little too late? The phone's been out 4 months and we get a big OS boost? Pff lol. I think the 3d scrolling is kinda stupid and the animated wallpapers just a battery/cpu cycle waster.

Props to VZW for getting the update out in almost less than a month since it was announced, good enough for me.

OOps is there a thread? I checked the whole first 2 pages and I didn't see it first lol hahah :) I am super excited for 5 screens. I held off for 3 weeks now from using any homescreen replacement and I'll finally be able to keep a screen dedicated to like Astrid and Pandora etc.

The screens and smoother running are definitely what has me excited.

Upvote 0
So everyone who asks about if they should unroot, my answer is NO. Once you unroot and get the OTA update you WILL NOT be able to use the same exploit to gain root again. So basically if you want to be rooted and have 2.1 you need to wait for the devs to make a ROM, otherwise you won't have root until someone finds a new exploit which can take weeks, months or who knows. The original exploit we used to gain root access was fixed THE NEXT DAY so any future updates will have that patch, you can see it in the source tree.

Upvote 0
Hmm, really? I was looking forward to the update and then OC'ing my phone.

So just apply the update after you have root, I'm sure it will be released with root access within 24 hours by some dev. The thing is that if we use the update staright from VZW it will write over SPRecovery which leaves you SOL, once a dev grabs it they can modify that so you can apply it with SPRecovery.

Upvote 0
The 2.0.1 OTA update.zip is what allowed us to get root acces, Zinx was able to add in the su stuff and the Droid would still allow it to be flashed because of a error in reading the keys or something to that effect, I can find the thread about it and the fix on the source tree if you would like to know more. So they fixed that the day after 2.0.1 was released, which means any update after it won't be able to use that exploit.

Upvote 0
I am still waiting for some indication from Verizon that an OTA rollout is happening. Motorola has no control over when the network people choose to send it. Also, I don't care about the 3D launcher vs the app drawer, I don't have a problem with the app drawer anyway. Live wallpapers would be cool - have those been successfully ported from Nexus by a dev or not? If they ported and work fine, then I would think the 'real' update should be able to support them. All the same, I don't care a whole lot about them. I want stability, quick response time, and 5 home screens. A better gallery won't hurt, either.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones