1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

2.11.605.9 OTA Update with ROOT - Verizon pushed OTA overnight!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pillpusher84, Dec 20, 2011.

1. pillpusher84

pillpusher84 Lurker

So ... I had my phone rooted prior to Verizon pushing an OTA update in my sleep. i wake up to the phone stuck on a screen with a little Droid man with an exclamation mark.

I googled around and found that the update download location is:

/cache/fumo/OTAPkg.zip

so, I removed the battery on my phone, turned the phone on, and in the 10 second I have once the phone is rebooted (before the auto-update tries to load) I open the RootExplorer app, browse to that location and delete the zip file.

I then rebooted the phone, and all seems to be okay at this point ... OTA Update 2.11.605.9 averted!

For some reason afterwards ... I was stuck in 1x data mode ... I went into airplane mode (disconnected from cell network), and then went out of airplane mode (reconnected to cell network) and this did the trick. (Not sure why I had to bother!!!)

Most importantly ... does anyone know how to BLOCK OTA updates? I am on a rooted version of the stock Verizon ROM 2.11.605.5

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dwbrewer

dwbrewer Newbie

I am rooted via Revolutionary. I am an absolute newbie:) After seeing your post, I let the phone try to apply the update. Could not get into the phone fast enough to delete the file when it failed:eek: I booted to Revolutionary and wiped the cache. The phone came back up fine. Pretty stupid on my part:) So, to get the update, do we have to load the whole base ROM with the update included? If so, it may be time for me to experiment with different ROMs.

3. Buddha64

Buddha64 Android Enthusiast

There's another thread which said to rename com.smithmicro.DM or freeze it.

4. TrueMetalGeek

TrueMetalGeek Member

Well today I went to leave for work and grab my phone.
    Within seconds of taking it off of the USB/Charger I see that Android with the explanation mark.

I'm like "WTF is this???"

When I got to work I peaked online using a PC and found this thread.

Whew! I deleted /cache/fumo/OTAPkg.zip like PillPusher said within the measly 10 seconds from boot to where it shuts down again to install the update.

I of course have ROOT with the usual mods recommended to go with it which stopped the install evidently.

Glad to get it going after just an hour or so. Thanks guys.

5. TrueMetalGeek

TrueMetalGeek Member

Oh bummer!
    Looks like Verizon pushed their updated to my phone again this morning!
    The alarm went off at 7AM as usual.
    I turn off the alarm, unplug the USB cable and walk away.

A few min later I go to pick it up (it's 7:08 as I type this) it's got the Android with the exclamation mark.

So I just now selected WIPE CACHE PARTITION and rebooted.
    Got the notice that the update failed and let it boot up.

We'll see what happens.

6. spektre1

spektre1 Lurker

I just want to chime in my thanks. I had to do the same thing this morning when I woke up to that beautiful error screen. So thanks for finding this solution this quickly. I do want to ask though, is there a way to disable automatic OTA updates? I cannot find a control for this within the settings, and google's failing me on this.

7. DRGW3001

DRGW3001 Lurker

Mine has done the same thing 4 times now. I've been scouring Google this morning looking for a way to disable OTA for the meantime. I did see another post though, that offers a modified version of 605.9 for those who are already rooted. Since this is my first post on this forum, needless to say I'm trying to figure out how to apply all of this.

8. TrueMetalGeek

TrueMetalGeek Member

Can you link us to the post?

That may be something to do so we get the updates.

I got the error again this AM.
    I just did the cache wipe and rebooted.

Just now it gave me a message about how it was about to download one.
    It gave me the option to defer it for 5 days.

9. Been using this solution I found on line it does work it shows the update fails. use a root file explorer like Es file explorer and rename system/etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.BAk, this will cause the install to fail

10. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

People this is why we have the "all things root subforum. There's solutions readily available for these types of problems!

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews