1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 2.2.1 Orange UK upgrade

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RedBlueGreen, Mar 9, 2011.

1. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen Member
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    Well, via Windows 7 and Kies yesterday I found out Orange UK has released 2.2.1.

This in brief is what happened for me...

1st attempt
    Started download > over an hour later download session timed out.:(

2nd attempt
    Started download > got to end of download after 1.5 hours . Msg "Failed to Convert to Upgrade Mode. Please Try Again Later". :(

I read up on the above msg and after backing up contacts etc carried out a factory reset on my phone.

3rd attempt
    Started download > got to 60+% after over an hour and download uncompressed itself and installed correctly :) Woo Hoo!:)

Impressions of 2.2.1
    Phone seems fair bit faster with less lag
    Quadrant score gone from mid 900's to 1110.

So far despite troubles installing it I'm pleased with 2.2.1 :)

Advertisement

2. antoeknee

antoeknee Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England
    No problem for me whole process took 20mins.

They have fixed the messaging bug from 2.2 where 3G needed to be active for messaging to work.

3. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen Member
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    I think it only took quite some time on the download is because of my iffy adsl speed. Does your phone seem like it's quicker?

4. antoeknee

None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England
    Just having a play.

Yep far quicker. Response is much better.

Early days but looks like a good upgrade.

5. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen Member
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    I hadn't realised about the messaging and 3G improvement but you're right it's fixed.
    I'd go as far to say my Galaxy S's response is now snappy!!!

6. CrazySte

CrazySte Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    DAMN IT

i guess my Firmware is really the one from Germany:

PDA:JPB / PHONE:JP3 / CSC:JP7 (DTM)

I just tried now to Upgrade it, and it still says that it is the latest Firmware available.

I do not feel comfortable doing the flashing with ODIN for 2 reasons:

1) i am not quite sure where my phone is from, i live in the US where the i9000 is not even sold and i purchased Unlocked from a US site

2) there is a bunch of people that bricked the phone using Odin and i am not about to blow $500 of phone away like that

I AM JUST PISSED OFF

that while some are already getting the 2.3 Update, i still haven't got the 2.2.1... this is ridiculous: why do they release the updates soo much time far apart???
    GRRR

7. wobble99

wobble99 Member
    None

Jan 8, 2011
    UK
    And about time too! Orange always claimed ignorance of the messaging bug when I called them many times. The download did take quite a while and Kies did display two dialogs at the same time, one telling me to disconnect the phone and one telling me not to.

8. ayongkot

ayongkot Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    venezia, italy
    maybe those who bricked their phone through odin upgrade did not follow the instructions? i never had any problem upgrading my firmware (from eclair 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.2.1) through odin and i had done it 10x (at least). just be sure you had the stock rom (download from samsungfirmware.com) in case of incompatibilities of various 2.2.1 releases)

9. galaxy7321

galaxy7321 Guest
    None
    Have also done this update and first impressions were good. However, I realised that the pop/imap email app (the default samsung email app) was no longer automatically refreshing / updating every 15/30/60 mins etc. I have to retrieve my emails manually now. :( Really annoyed by this because I have had so much trouble receiving emails on my Galaxy S since getting the phone back in August - it's a real pain!

Also, the internet browser now flickers when I first load a new webpage.

Otherwise I would say Orange's 2.2.1 update has made things smoother. I would like the option to delete all the stupid demo games and Orange apps though.

Any tips on how to fix the email?

10. antoeknee

None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England
    Was a pain but there was a work round where you accessed messaging through social hub and it worked OK

11. StevieB

StevieB Newbie
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Mid Beds
    At last I thought, I can upgrade by Galaxy S on Orange....unfortunately...

Kies (v 2.0.0.11014_49) informs me that my current firmware version : PDA:JF3 / PHONE:JF3 / CSC:JE5 (ORA) can not be updated.

What's going on?

Steve :thinking:

12. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen Member
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    Hi Steve - Have you tried phoning Orange support? I'm also wondering if you may have to back things up and do a reset before the upgrade...

13. StevieB

StevieB Newbie
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Mid Beds
    I have emailed support this evening after giving it another go but have not spoken to them.
    I have done a reset before hand as well but that made no difference either. I notice on the Orange support pages there is a step by step guide for the Galaxy S but its just reiterating what I am already doing.
    Steve

14. antoeknee

None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England
    Steve have a check on Twitter tomorrow there are some Orange tech support bods who are very helpful and may be able to help.

@orangehelpers

15. Thandar

Thandar Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Hi,
    Just thought I'd say I'm in the same position as Steve, also JE3, Kies says my firmware can't be updgraded. I've a feeling Orange have forgotten about this ROM and not enabled it for an update...

Edit : Looks like JE3 is an old version and Samsung have forgotten about it so Kies can't update it? They are working on it for a later release...Think I may have to figure out how to hack it, not impressed!

16. StevieB

StevieB Newbie
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Mid Beds
    Sent Orange Support a message via the website and got back a reply that my phone is on the latest software!
    Phoned up support tonight and spoke to a "very knowledgeable" techie who told me that they had had problems upgrading the Galaxy and i would have to get the upgrade direct for Sony Erricson.... (D'oh. I wondered where i was going wrong)
    Pointed out his error and he then said I needed a SIM update to activate the ability to upgrade the firmware.
    SIM update duly arrived, rebooted phone, connected Kies...
    Exactly the same message about not being able to upgrade but the firmware version is now reported as...
    PDA:JF3/ Phone:JF3/ CSC:JE5 (ORA).

We'll be back on the phone tomorrow to support...

Steve

17. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen Member
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    Steve, Thandar, good luck I hope the upgrade can be sorted for sure. I struggled like crazy to get Kies even to connect to my phone so you have my sympathy. Fingers crossed for tomoz when you recontact orange

18. antoeknee

None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England

Steve did you try Orangehelpers on Twitter? They were very helpful with issue I had.

19. Davey Boy

Davey Boy Newbie
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    ENG, UK
    i tried to update my phone when i got it last friday (through the latest kies on win 7) - got to 20%... froze for around an hour... unplugged thinking i would be ok to do the emergency recovery...but no... wouldn't work as the computer was no longer seeing the phone and the phone just had the phone--!--pc symbol... not to mention i didn't have the working 3 button recovery...

luckily, as i say, i had only just got it so went straight back and they gave me a new handset in exchange for the broke one... got it home... fixed the 3 button recovery... flashed to a stock rom from samfirmware (2.1)... built a custom ROM from ROM kitchen and now have a nice, fast, silky smooth phone with no samsung or orange junk on it - screw orange and samsung's rubbish software...

ps: i havent done all this rooting etc before (well, once i did it on my first gen ipod touch but i remember it being a lot more straight forward)! lol

20. trev7

trev7 Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Impressed with 2.2.1 wifi is better i can testify to that quadrant now in the 1000 and over bracket more snappy yep agreed thier was never a bug with messaging you just had to press contacts and send message u didnt need to activate 3g , one thing not sure yet battery may be worse ???

21. StevieB

StevieB Newbie
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Mid Beds
    Unfortunately I am at work during the Twitter support... No Orange coverage,&Twitter is blocked on our work internet. Hopefully will get a chance to give Orange Support a ring.
    Steve

22. antoeknee

None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England
    Personally found battery life to be slightly better than 2.2.

Overall phone much more responsive.

23. StevieB

StevieB Newbie
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Mid Beds
    Support at Orange after a number of phone calls eventually sorted it out...or by coincidence it was released at the sametime. Anyway the current firmware on the phone was recognised as being upgradeable. An hour later I have
    PDA:JS7 / PHONE:JPY / CSC:JS1 (ORA)

regards
    Steve