• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2.2.1 ~ Phone Shuts off when Close

andoroido

Sep 6, 2010
LOL! Yep, this is the issue with the newest update on the Intercept ~2.2.1 If I close the phone [Fold it up], the phone completely shuts off, even after opening it up and pressing the button doesn't do anything. Now the strangest part is if I leave it open [the fold out keyboard] and never close it everything works fine and doesn't shut off even after the "Screen timeout". What do I do to fix this and this NEVER happen before the update.

If I close the phone [Fold it up], the phone completely shuts off, even after opening it up and pressing the button doesn't do anything. Now the strangest part is if I leave it open [the fold out keyboard] and never close it everything works fine and doesn't shut off even after the "Screen timeout". What do I do to fix this and this NEVER happen before the update.

I was baffled by your question because the Intercept isn't a fold-up phone. The keyboard slides out and in, or, as ginglish said, opens and closes.

So I'm going to assume that you really do have an Intercept and are just describing what the keyboard does in a wierd way.

I had unintended power down issues with 2.1 when putting the phone in a pocket of my jeans. This is similar to the old butt dialing problem. The solution is not to put the phone in a tight pocket. I haven't tried the phone in a tight pocket with Froyo, so I don't know if that will still cause it.

Try closing the keyboard as it sits on a desk in front of you. Does the phone power down immediately? If so, does it do a normal shutdown, or does it just go black? Do you see any force-close messages?

Let the phone continue to sit on the desk. When the screen goes off, wait 30 seconds and do the gentle touch of the power (hangup) button and see if the screen goes back on. If it does, let the phone sit there for 10 minutes and repeat the test.

Make sure when you do this that your battery is above 30%. The phone will shut itself off when the battery gets very low.

Ginglish is right that you may have to take it to a Sprint store, but I'm not sure we're at that point yet.

Let us know what you find out.

Upvote 0
ginglish,
1. Yep, with a 15 second wait before putting the battery back in, but still the problem exist.
2. Actually yes, the phone will boot up if the phone is close.

Darkseas,
When I close the phone, the screen goes completely black and does nothing more. I have to hold down the power button [hang up button] for a few seconds, and then I am greeted with the Samsung icon as the phone turns on.

I tried turning on the phone with the keyboard close, and the phone hasn't turned off yet. Though, the second I open the phone it turned off right away. So now it seems if I change the status of the phone, either by opening or closing it, the phone completely shuts off, but if I leave it open OR close the phone will not auto-turn off by it's self. Testing my intercept on about 95% battery life.

Upvote 0
I've also had this problem in the past. From my experience, it would most often occur when the battery was below 15% for some reason. Never could figure it out, and it has not happened in a few weeks. I do seem to have a similar problem where the phone seems to freeze for a few minutes and I get the samsung screen, but it does not power down like before. I believe this to be a problem with available memory. Either way, I never found a proper solution and wrote it off as a phone that can't handle its own capabilities. My next step it to uncheck the "prevent force close" features on some of the apps such as

Upvote 0
I tried turning on the phone with the keyboard close, and the phone hasn't turned off yet. Though, the second I open the phone it turned off right away. So now it seems if I change the status of the phone, either by opening or closing it, the phone completely shuts off, but if I leave it open OR close the phone will not auto-turn off by it's self. Testing my intercept on about 95% battery life.

Given your tests, and the fact that I haven't seen any other reports like this related to Froyo updates, I concur with everyone else. Hardware problem.

Sprint stores have pretty good reputations. Give one a shot.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

It appears the problem doesn't exist anymore. I was on break during work and accidentally slide open my phone and closed it. Nothing happen... since then everything is completely working as original expected. I can't explain why it is working, or what fixed it. I guess, this problem will have to come to a close without a solution.

:S

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones