1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root 2.2.2 solution?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aafreen, Jun 15, 2011.

1. aafreen

aafreen Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Love that there is a thorough guide here for rooting the Ally, etc.

I believe I've made a fair effort, short of just giving a try to see what happens, to find an answer here and at mAndriod Connection. If there's a thread I missed, just point. TY.

I took the 2.2.2 ota update via that LG update app they recommended. I just wasn't thinking at the time about rooting. Stupid.

My previous device was a G1 and I was on the root bandwagon since Jesusfreke. Always good times rooting the G1. But the G1 never seemed as complicated as the Ally is. There were no cab files to run on your desktop, no dalvik-cache to worry about... But I can deal with extra steps because the likes of Trident and getitnowmarketing are awesome and make awesome guides.

But I took the damn 2.2.2 update. And it's my understanding that I don't have access to the bootloader. And I have shipped version VS740ZV8. And I can't get into recovery even if I do get root via gingerbreak or something.

So am I SOL, or is there a way for me to downgrade to V06/2.2.1 and get root and custom recovery? I'd really, really like to get on that sweet Velocity. I'll be in this device at least a full year longer.

Thanks any/all.

Advertisement

2. cr5315

cr5315 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Narnia
    If you do the 2.1 to 2.2.1 root guide, you will be rooted on 2.2.1. There is no 2.2.2 root. 2.2.2 only added bloatware.

aafreen likes this.
  3. aafreen

aafreen Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks.

So I can just use that 2.1 to 2.2.1 guide even though I'm running 2.2.x?

Also, doesn't it matter that I have shipped firmware after v06?

4. cr5315

None

Jul 23, 2010
    Narnia
    The guide takes you back to the first version of Android that shipped with the Ally no matter where you start, so it will work.

aafreen likes this.
  5. aafreen

aafreen Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Yep, I do see that now. I don't know why I had it in my head that it was a problem because I took the update.

Although I am currently stuck at step 9 and trying to figure out why. The LG update software just keeps saying there's an error. I'll just start all over again.

6. aafreen

aafreen Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    I'm getting on with this via the LGNPST method after stalling at step 9, per the root thread. Mods feel free to delete this thread.

7. xtcvapor

xtcvapor Member
    None

Sep 17, 2010
    North Carolina
    GingerBreak v1.2 works on 2.2.2 for root. Google it, use these search terms: xda gingerbreak 1.2

8. cr5315

None

Jul 23, 2010
    Narnia
    While Gingerbreak may work to root, the devs prefer you don't use them. The one click roots tend to be the ones that break your phone. And if that happens, you will get no help from them.
    If you need help and are using the guide, hit up the link in my sig and we'll help you root.

9. xtcvapor

xtcvapor Member
    None

Sep 17, 2010
    North Carolina
    I had no problems with it; In fact I used the LGNPST guide to restore back to V6 just to get Fastboot back. I had updated to 2.2.1 using LGMU and lost bootloader. I updated all the way back to 2.2.2 which I rooted using GingerBreak v1.2. Not trying to sound condescending, but I think it's an easy, fairly reliable way to root a phone, as I've used it on multiple friends' phones (Ally and non-Ally). Could always LGNPST back to V6 if needed :)

10. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Android Expert
    None

Nov 3, 2010
    Chandler, Az
    whoa whoa whoa guys!!! If you downgrade to or have an old phone that sipped with ZV6 and take the OTA updates, using gingerbreak to root wont have ANY difference. When people say down with SOC or one click roots, its not because they dont root it right, or they will break your phone, or becuase the person who made them is ugly. Its becuase most allys dont have fastboot access and the only way to get it is LGNPST or LGMU. If you already have it HOW YOU ROOT IT DOESNT MATTER. Now i believe that if your going to root your phone, you should have all the tools possible (like fastboot) but there is alot of ignorant misinformation on the subject and people bashing SOC or GingerBreak for the WRONG reasons.

jerry42570, esseebee and dautley like this.
  11. Pwnage

Pwnage Member
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I used Gingerbreak and my phone is working fine.

esseebee likes this.
  12. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Guys,

I've moved this thread moved to the all-things-root sub-forum.

Cheers!

dautley likes this.
  13. dautley

dautley Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Dickson, TN.
    I wish this board had a couple of guides that actually used the Ally forum sometimes. lol!

scary alien likes this.
  14. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    LOL, yeah, I've actually learned a ton in the last day or so while we are all going through and cataloging the threads with (hopefully) appropriate tags (please let me know if I mis-label something in the Ally forum, since I'm not that familiar with the phone, but I am trying to at least skim through the threads before assigning a category and not just blindly label based on the thread title).

I'm an old HTC Eris and Moto Droid X guy, so I'm still learning about a few additional "corners" of our little Android world here :).

You should feel a little lucky :p since the Ally forum has a ton more activity / traffic than some of the forums I've visited in the last 24 hours :eek:. I continue to be amazed at how big AF actually is.

Please let me or any of us Guides or Mods know if you need anything (I'm still learning the ropes myself, but I'm happy to try to help).

Cheers!

Love your avatar, by the way...very nice image.

Tags: