• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 Froyo for the Captivate Discussion

This whole thing reminds me of when I was a Nokia owner...Nokia would release a firmware upgrade and the whole world would get it to their unlocked, sim free devices, but the operators such as vodafone, O2, etc would hold it up and not release it to their subsidized devices, and people would just freak out. Bottom line is most of those firmware upgrades were never made available...just the way it is with the operators like ATT. From past experience, an upgrade from eclair to froyo is fairly major and I doubt it will happen at all for the Captivate..ATT just doesn't have, or doesn't trust the technology to count on not screwing up tens of thousands of handsets..just my opinion

Upvote 0
Everyone bought this phone KNOWING that it was running eclair and not froyo. Neither Samsung nor AT&T has ever given a date certain for froyo. I don't understand why so many people are going crazy that froyo is not officially out for the Captivate yet.

Samsung and At&t sold, and we all bought, a smart phone. No more, no less. Samsung and At&t are in the business of selling phones and data plans. Not operating systems. They don't care if we buy an android, an iphone, or a windows phone. As long as we buy and get a data package.

If At&t had come out and said "froyo by sept. 23" and did not deliver, that is one thing. But to the best of my knowledge, they never did that. We all have a working phone with a beautiful screen and a lot of horsepower. That is what we purchased.

Nicely put.

Upvote 0
Some people don't want to be beta testers or VOID their WARRANTY. Installing the beta froyo builds and those based on them come with risks that some are willing to take. I am not, like a lot of others. I feel anyone and everyone that owns a captivate or any other US galaxy S phone has the right to bitch about froyo not being here yet. More than half of all forums are bitching of some sort anyway. People are just getting out their emotions to a group that can empathize. Froyo should have been here in September. All other phones in its class have had froyo for almost 2 months. I bet 2.3 will be out before our phones get 2.2, which is SAD. The damn phone came out AFTER 2.2 had been released. It's not just that we don't have it, it's a combination of things, from how Android phones receive (or don't receive) updates and how it is a poor system google has setup to not being treated right by Samsung. Anyway, all I'm saying is people have more than enough valid reasons to complain about - the fact that BETA froyo is floating out there does not void those complaints.

Agreed. I think the only way carriers and manufacturers will learn is if a nexus phone with stock android os comes to one of the two major carriers verizon or at&t. They will see the sales skyrocket for those phones when everyone wants the fancy froyo or especially gingerbread phones. The only reason I wouldn't sell my phone right now and get the nexus s when it is released is because it isn't on a major carrier and I travel to and from college and my different parents houses all the time and i need something with good coverage.

Honestly I wouldn't care about froyo except for my small hope that there may be a fix for the lag from the people who created the phone, know the ins and outs of the hardware, and it won't void my warranty. Seriously do you guys not notice the static from the lag during music playback. Or what about the freezing black screen? I know I'm not the only one considering there's a whole group of people developing lag fixes.

Reactions: s.m.knipe
Upvote 0
So, I'm running stock JF6 and for grins and giggles I tapped "check for update" (which I almost never do because I haven't been stock in a while)- I DL an update, the phone says it will install, boots to a white screen with blues text (didn't look familiar) and it gets to 50% done, popped up a "update failed" notice and rebooted.

Now I can't check again for another 24 hours. :(

Download and run Mini Kies. I had the same problem as you, now I got the JH7 update.

How Do I Update The Software On My AT&T SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone To JH7 Through Kies Mini?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if the "official" froyo update does arrive, will it be "forced" on the device, or will there be a choice to stay with 2.1..mine is working to my liking and doubt I'll upgrade-at least until I hear the reviews from those that do

No one knows because it's not out yet.

I'd be very surprised if it was "forced", however. I'd bet good money on it being something you can decline.

Upvote 0
Download and run Mini Kies. I had the same problem as you, now I got the JH7 update.

How Do I Update The Software On My AT&T SGH-i897 (Captivate) Phone To JH7 Through Kies Mini?

I tried both Kies mini and Kies (the "old" full version of Kies- "old" meaning no updates to the PC software itself).

Kies says there are no updates available.

Kies Mini will not connect to my phone. Period. (I have all the proper drivers)

I just tried the OTA, again. If failed at 50%, again.

Question, can I root, apply updates manually (I have the JH7 zip file at home), and maybe a lag fix, and then unroot w/o stability problems?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if the "official" froyo update does arrive, will it be "forced" on the device, or will there be a choice to stay with 2.1..mine is working to my liking and doubt I'll upgrade-at least until I hear the reviews from those that do

Just like with the JH7 OTA update you will have the option to "update later" and it will give you instructions for doing so (Settings>Software Update>Resume Update), or if through KIES Mini then just don't download it/upgrade...

Upvote 0
Agreed. I think the only way carriers and manufacturers will learn is if a nexus phone with stock android os comes to one of the two major carriers verizon or at&t. They will see the sales skyrocket for those phones when everyone wants the fancy froyo or especially gingerbread phones. The only reason I wouldn't sell my phone right now and get the nexus s when it is released is because it isn't on a major carrier and I travel to and from college and my different parents houses all the time and i need something with good coverage.

Honestly I wouldn't care about froyo except for my small hope that there may be a fix for the lag from the people who created the phone, know the ins and outs of the hardware, and it won't void my warranty. Seriously do you guys not notice the static from the lag during music playback. Or what about the freezing black screen? I know I'm not the only one considering there's a whole group of people developing lag fixes.

I hear no static at all in my bose over ear headphones. I also don't notice any lag unless my battery its on the verge of dying... Did I mention my gps works? As far as I'm concerned this phone is solid. Now if you ask my girlfriend she may have a few choice words abbot this phone. She has the external speaker problem.

Upvote 0
Let me change that frown to a smile (requires root privileges):

Software Updates - CapFAQ

You can also use Root Explorer to navigate to dbdata/databases/com.wssyncmldm

Delete wssdmdatabase.db and reboot.

Update count is now clear for another try prior to the 24 hour delay.

OMG! Bypassing the 24 hour update deal is way easier! Just move the date up on your phone! LMAO!

Upvote 0

That's what his link said too. I was mainly referring to the early 2011 phone. And remarking that there was nothing in that article about our phone, only canadas'. Maybe you mis-read my post, there is a period after US (as in the united states not "us" that's why it was all caps). This is the american captivate forums, I wouldn't be here if I had a canadian cap.

Upvote 0
where the hell does it say this is a american forum,,, other then in your post

I assumed so since this forum has been here (and me) months before the captivate was even announced for Rogers let alone released. I can see why they would combine the two since they are identical. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers there bro. Did you read the rest of my post?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones