• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 + music + car/bluetooth

tangomango

Jan 30, 2010
Michigan
When I play music, whether is through the default player or CUBE player, my music stutters every 15~20secs.

Not only music though. I had voice GPS running and even the voice was being stuttered.

I thought it may have been some interference, but this happened on a 45min drive, to and from.

This never happened before the 2.2 update.

any ideas?

Hi once again guys!

I just did a complete factory reset and I installed no apps. I tried to use the default player but the stuttering is still happening. It's weird, like I said, it happens to all audio while I'm using Bluetooth, even the GPS sound.

Could my car be at fault here? I'll have to try my brother's bluetooth function when I get a chance.

Any other advice you fellas can provide? I would hate taking in to the store for a replacement, as this is my 3rd phone (first phone was problem with keyboard, 2nd was giving bootup problems).

Upvote 0
I upgraded tp the latest build with yet another factory reset, but prblem still persists.

My only options atm are to try sync in a different car, or take it to the store for my 4th replacement phone.

Also, I've never tried rooting or anything.

You should seriously consider syncing to another BT device to see if the problem returns. While you're at it, if you have another media device with BT, please sync it to your car and see if the problem follows your car's stereo. This troubleshooting method tells us one of a few things depending on the scenerio:

Reference Key to make things easier:
Your Phone - BTMedia1
BT enabled iPod or another BT enabled phone - BTMedia2
Your Car Stereo - BTReceiver1
Other BT headset or stereo - BTReceiver2

Scenerio1: If BTMedia1 sync'd to BTReceiver2 results in no problems and BTMedia2 sync'd to BTReceiver1 DOES have stuttering issues, the problem is with your car's stereo (an unfortunate occurance if true)

Scenerio2: If BTMedia1 sync'd to BTReceiver2 results in stuttering issues, the issue is with your phone. Fear not if this is true, as this will likely be software related and software resolvable

Scenerio3: If BTMedia1 sync'd to BTReceiver2 results in no problems and BTMedia2 sync'd to BTReceiver1 also results in no problems... The problem may be a compatibility issue between something updated in the BT stack on your phone and the BT stack on your car stereo. This would definitely have been caused by the 2.2 update and unfortunately may not be fixable by any other method than rolling back to 2.1 (or a custom ROM if you're up to rooting)

If scenerio1 is true, this will not be a cheap or easy fix. The stereo will need to be replaced to fix the problem. I won't quote prices on that. I'll just say that I hope you're experienced with car audio because you'll save yourself some dough.

If scenerio2 is true, then the original 2.2 update to your phone simply did not go well. This is probably the most desirable outcome becuase it's the most easily fixed. All you will need to do is get your USB cable, download RSDLite, and one of the factory VZW restore images. Then run the restore and manually run the 2.2 update on the phone (make sure to run some sort of backup first). There are detailed guides on this site on how to do this. Please read them in detail. This phone is not easily bricked and will likely be recoverable if you would mess up, but reading the detailed guides first will save you hours of pain and suffering.

If scenerio3 is true, well, it's time to look at one of two options. Option 1 is to perform the same restore as listed for scenerio2. The only difference is you won't perform the 2.2 upgrade -- ever -- which would be unfortunate, but sometimes is the nature of the beast. Option 2 would be looking into rooting followed by installing a custom ROM. This would be the route I would take in this case as not only would you likely fix the issue, but would also add some functionality that you may have never considered before. There are also detailed guides on this site for doing this.

Lots of troubleshooting and things to consider, but, if nothing else, you should at least know the source of the issue when all is said and done.

Upvote 0
Expounding upon Slider's excellent post:

If it is scenario 2, and a factory reset has not helped, and neither has the FRG22D, then try this:

http://androidforums.com/droid-supp...ssage-wifi-will-not-turn-all.html#post1502323

If you follow those steps entirely, you'll first replace your current double (or even triple) patched system with a fresh, pre-compiled version of FroYo, FRG01B.

Then you'll patch that to FRG22D.

Neither of these performs a factory reset so your apps and settings should remain intact.

See if that helps the issue - it sounds like you're having a slightly different manifestation of the same underlying problem that that user is having, and thus I think the same fix for him may work for you as well.

If you have nay questions, though, please post them in this thread as opposed to that one so I can keep the issues apart in my head when responding :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones