• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 on droid tethering w/o root

or if you dont want to tether wifi and want to tether through USB, go on the market and download EasyTether or PDAnet.......then again, that is if you dont want to root and get free tethering, your choice really, easytether is only $9.95, worth it if you dont have a PC that isnt wifi capable

My vote is PDANet. You can try out the free version. I did and it was worth it for me to upgrade to the premium version ($35) after I made the mistake of purchasing the VZN USB broadband dongle for the same price. The premium version allows you to access https sites. On a vacation I took the dongle and ended up using it up after 2 days. The VZN people said it would last a week. PDANet saved my bacon on the rest of the trip when I needed to USB tether my macbook air. It works with 2.2 and now I am set for life :D

Upvote 0
Yes, I know about the VZN upcharge for USB Tether. I figured out how to do wifi adhoc tethering on the Droid. I use it on occasion, so I am not willing to pay VZN any more money that I am right now. EasyRoot works fine with 2.1 and 2.2. You will have to go to the developer website directly to purchase it. Read all the posts first. If you wish to use it, remember to enable non-Android market apps in the settings menu.
You can then purchase other Android market apps, like an app installer to install sdk app files so that you can enjoy ad hoc wifi tether apps like Barnacle Wifi Tether.
Best of Luck.

Reactions: androidphan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones