• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 On Moto Droid

Paper weight = useless phone = brick

The fact that it is designed for a completely different phone makes this unsafe. It equates to installing a custom ROM made for one phone on a different phone, it just wont work. I wont get into the technical details, but feel free to try it if you don't believe me.

Disclaimer:
Don't try it.

Upvote 0
What is a paper wieght? why isnt it safe to install this on my droid?

I give you, the paper weight.

brick.jpg

Upvote 0
I venture that 95%+ of the readers here understand device drivers (at least from the point of buying something new for their computers), so they should understand the issue here without the need for analogies.

Each of these phones has different hardware, aka devices, that will require different device drivers to make the Android OS work properly with that hardware. Without said device drivers, the Android OS simply will not be able to boot on your phone.

If you load the N1 OS onto the DROID (without modifying it to work on the DROID) you're going to reboot your phone and ... nothing. hence the mention of paper weight mode. Your nice, hefty DROID becomes, in effect, a paperweight.

It is no different than trying to use ATI drivers for an nVidia graphics card - not gonna happen.

Upvote 0
I venture that 95%+ of the readers here understand device drivers (at least from the point of buying something new for their computers), so they should understand the issue here without the need for analogies.

Each of these phones has different hardware, aka devices, that will require different device drivers to make the Android OS work properly with that hardware. Without said device drivers, the Android OS simply will not be able to boot on your phone.

If you load the N1 OS onto the DROID (without modifying it to work on the DROID) you're going to reboot your phone and ... nothing. hence the mention of paper weight mode. Your nice, hefty DROID becomes, in effect, a paperweight.

It is no different than trying to use ATI drivers for an nVidia graphics card - not gonna happen.

Well put.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones