• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 on the Evo starting up all kinds of programs

rjoelshipp

Lurker
Aug 4, 2010
Anyone notice an abundance of programs starting by themselves since the 2.2 update? I open "Task Killer" and I have got facebook, voice dialer, amazon mp3, etc running. I don't even have these programs set to update. There are about 15 programs running that i didn't even open. This happens about two minutes after I kill the apps.

I had that with 2.1 - you're not alone.

You might consider this option:

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

It's not 2.2 per se.

It's that these apps can send something that I think I remember is called an INTENT and that wakes another.

The problem with the crapware is that it tends to cascade once it gets started.

I can't guarantee that the suggestion above will help but you might want to consider it.

The only other real recourse is to wait for them to find a root method for 2.2 and then when you get the chance, root your phone and tear out the stuff that's making your life hard.

That is exactly what I ended up doing, despite wanting to be "just a regular user."

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Bagua
Upvote 0

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

It's not 2.2 per se.

It's that these apps can send something that I think I remember is called an INTENT and that wakes another.

I can't guarantee that the suggestion above will help but you might want to consider it.

The only other real recourse is to wait for them to find a root method for 2.2 and then when you get the chance, root your phone and tear out the stuff that's making your life hard.

That is exactly what I ended up doing, despite wanting to be "just a regular user."

Cascading, I see that regularly when I use either the Music app, Last.FM, or Pandora. Using any one of those will open all of them (and AmazonMP3 before I rooted) lovely aint it? :)

Upvote 0

It's not 2.2 per se.

I did these steps to "fix" my issues. some were fixed not all. I still get many programs starting up in the background, Launcher Pro and Handcent are not playing nice with Froyo. I never had any issues with either on 2.1 now they both are buggy even after the hard reset.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've read that and they have good points but I know for me personally, with my old Hero and Evo when I start to notice some lag i check the open apps and theres usually a bunch of em. After I kill them the lag is gone so I do what works for me.

Same here!

I notice lag, then I go into manage applications and force quite about 6 apps and the lag is gone.

It even benchmarks faster after I kill the apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones