• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.2 + Root: No audio from internal speaker on phone

totaldis

Apr 8, 2010
Hey All!

Just put the latest ROM on my phone last night and rooted.
I was all excited adding my apps back and setting the phone up that I neglected to test the phone.

I received a phone call today and couldn't hear anything. Like the person on the other end muted their phone. Now the kicker, if I put the phone on Speakerphone I can hear the caller just fine (as fine as pre 2.2). I looked around and haven't been able to find any reference to this. Has anyone seen this before or possibly know a fix?

This is the guide I followed:
Howto: HTC Droid Incredible Leaked Froyo 2.2 Update - Technology - Jonamerica.com

Here is the ROM:
new_leak.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

To make this maybe a bit easier to understand/diagnose.

I have updated this phone twice now hoping it would fix the issue.

1. Install Radio dinc_ota.zip dinc_ota.zip Baseband (2.05.00.06.11.).
2. Unrevoked3
3. ROM
4. RUU Back to old radio/ROM.
5. Repeat

I've noticed that I lose sound after the radio install. So it has nothing to do with the root or ROM.

I followed these instructions: Howto: HTC Droid Incredible Leaked Froyo 2.2 Update - Technology - Jonamerica.com

This hasn't happened to anyone else? Is there another dinc_ota.zip everyone is using that I'm not?

Upvote 0
Oooh I love that my thread was resurrected! Yea, this is what is stopping me from running Froyo right now. I wish I could but I don't have an answer for this. I asked over in XDA Forums as well with no responses.

Any clever users out there know what's going on?

I think I'm going to try the new radio baseband 2.15 and see if I have the same problem.. Will report back.

Upvote 0
Oooh I love that my thread was resurrected! Yea, this is what is stopping me from running Froyo right now. I wish I could but I don't have an answer for this. I asked over in XDA Forums as well with no responses.

Any clever users out there know what's going on?

I think I'm going to try the new radio baseband 2.15 and see if I have the same problem.. Will report back.

same problem here. I tried both 2.xx radios and they both did the same thing to the internal speaker. I had to revert back to 1.xx radio and that fixed the problem.
I have found no other reference to this problem. Must be rare which really sucks. I was looking forward to the upgrade.

Upvote 0
This may not help but froyo requires the 2.15 radio to be fully functional, aside from that try installing a new rom and maybe advanced nandroid restore just the system files from a rom that worked?

DISCLAIMER: make sure it wont do anything bad, it is just an idea and I dont know if it will work or brick your phone :)

Upvote 0
This may not help but froyo requires the 2.15 radio to be fully functional, aside from that try installing a new rom and maybe advanced nandroid restore just the system files from a rom that worked?

DISCLAIMER: make sure it wont do anything bad, it is just an idea and I dont know if it will work or brick your phone :)

actually sounds like a good idea. I'll try this when I get off work. thanks bro

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue. Used the 2.2 RUU with 2.15 radio, now no sound from internal speaker. I still can't figure out how to go back to 2.1 or 1.x radio (though haven't spent enough time searching the forums yet, just worried about not being rooted since I used the RUU).

pkmn760, what do you mean Froyo won't be fully functional without 2.15? Do you know what will be missing? The old radio worked fine for me, service and speed wise, I really just wanted the software upgrade. thanks

Upvote 0
So I applied the OTA update hoping that all the previous leaks baseband just had something wrong in them which was causing a select number of phones to have no audio from internal speaker.

Nope.

Latest and greatest OTA official from Google w/ baseband 2.15 still has the audio issue. This tells me a couple of things.

1. More people may start showing up that were too scared to upgrade before the official OTA with the same problem.

2. I'm going to have to revert my phone to original 2.1 and S-ON so I can return use it in the mean time while I setup some sort of return with Verizon.

Before assumptions are made, unrevoked forever was not run before this all was tested (i.e., not the cause). I have the issue with both 2.05 and 2.15 radio.

Still looking for some gurus for an inside tip... but I fear a return is probably in order.

Upvote 0
after 30 min with tech support, they didn't do anything I couldn't have done, disappeared to consult with others, came back and offered to send me a replacement. I asked for a higher level tech, but was told there's nothing they'll be able to do either, but that they could send me a new phone. I told them that it's not a hardware issue, as the speaker worked fine with 2.1, but since the udpate an hour ago, no speaker. I finally gave up and told them fine, send me another. Perhaps it's the way the new software interacts with particular devices? perhaps ones that have a slightly different internal component, manufactured by someone else? i don't know, just throwing out ideas. now i have to worry about what kind of screen the replacement will come with... off to research whether or not I'll get an LCD or AMOLED...

iowa, yes, i've gone back to stock (rom and radio) and sound returns to speaker. it seems to be only SOME devices with the 2.2. FWIW, I had the same issue when I tried to run one of the early leaked OTAs AND the 2.2 RUU. I thought it was something specific to something 'unofficial', but when i got the legit notice via VZW, i thought 'alright, now the true test' and these are the results - still an issue. i'm baffled. thanks to all who've helped, for now, reverting to 2.1...

Upvote 0
i wonder if we could start an "official those-who-lose-ear-peice-volume-with-2.2 thread" so that all of us who are experiencing this issue can post what steps/solutions VZW is offering to everyone. it seems to be a fairly substantial amount, definitely in the minority though, of people. it's definitely a software thing, so I'd hate to send back my original for a refurb only for them to figure out in a couple weeks how to fix it. i've got the screen protector applied PERFECTLY to mine now, a first for me... I'd hate to give that up over a software issue

Upvote 0
i wonder if we could start an "official those-who-lose-ear-peice-volume-with-2.2 thread" so that all of us who are experiencing this issue can post what steps/solutions VZW is offering to everyone. it seems to be a fairly substantial amount, definitely in the minority though, of people. it's definitely a software thing, so I'd hate to send back my original for a refurb only for them to figure out in a couple weeks how to fix it. i've got the screen protector applied PERFECTLY to mine now, a first for me... I'd hate to give that up over a software issue
Thats what I was on the fence about too, as its obviously a software issue (since my phone worked fine before). But at this point in time, I really didn't have a choice. I wasn't about to use my speakerphone in the office for phonecalls and the only option I had was to send my original Incredible back for a refurb.

Upvote 0
i went ahead and did it anyway, since i figured the broader discussion belonged outside the 'Root' subsection. although I suppose it could be considered a troubleshooting topic. youre a mod though, I guess you can make that call ;) and yes, I know what you mean, I actually had to take a call in my office today on speakerphone, as I dashed for the conference room...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones