• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2.2 voice search

def. doesn't work in this version. when saying " send text to.." does not recognize your voice at all, or can not find contact.

It's working for me, but it's definitely not the best voice recognition. I've had it understand a few of my contacts, but with others, it just looks the words instead of opening the messaging client.

On the other hand, it's pretty much worthless to me anyway because you can't have it use Google Voice as the text messaging client anyway... it uses the stock messaging client and there are no settings to change it. You would think since they are both Google products, it would integrate with Google Voice, no? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I think I read somewhere that the contact has to be in your gmail aaccount, otherwise, it will not work.

set alarm works but you will need to update the clock app.

Yeah, but when I click on the link to download the new clock, I just get a message saying:

"The clock app update is currently unavailable. Our team is actively working on a solution so that the 'set alarm' voice action can be used. Thanks so much for your patience."

I guess Voice Search is DOA for me. No Google Voice for texting and no update for the clock. lol

Upvote 0
If you are disappointed in the google app, make sure you check out Vlingo. It use to be a paid app, but is free now. I used it a few days prior to getting 2.2 and really like it.

Yeah, Vlingo is pretty nice. Unfortunately, it too cannot use Google Voice for text messaging. How hard can this be when I can set Google Voice as my default messaging client when clicking on Text Message from Contacts? :(

Upvote 0
def. doesn't work in this version. when saying " send text to.." does not recognize your voice at all, or can not find contact.

I was having the same issue on my Droid Incr. with 2.2 and found I had to export my contacts on my phone onto the SD card, drag to desktop, import into gmail, and then all worked perfectly. Only occasional voice recognition issues.

Is there an easier way to sync phone with gmail contacts?

Upvote 0
It's working for me, but it's definitely not the best voice recognition. I've had it understand a few of my contacts, but with others, it just looks the words instead of opening the messaging client.

On the other hand, it's pretty much worthless to me anyway because you can't have it use Google Voice as the text messaging client anyway... it uses the stock messaging client and there are no settings to change it. You would think since they are both Google products, it would integrate with Google Voice, no? :rolleyes:

You can set any app that's on your phone to be the default for any action taken by your phone. Sounds like this is more of a setup problem than anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones