1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support 2.3.3 GB cache limit

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by outcastrc, Sep 26, 2011.

1. outcastrc

outcastrc Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    Overall I am very impressed with 2.3.3

However I can't believe that 30mb cache limit is still there. I have a bunch of apps that I STILL can't install! :mad:

Wasn't this supposed to get fixed in 2.3?

Advertisement

2. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Male
    Arborist (tree man)
    Miami, FL
    What cache? You can adjust most cache sizes via the phone. The most commonly adjusted cache is the dalvik cache and that can be adjusted in the build.prop file using the app "root explorer" assuming you're rooted. This may be the one you are concerened with since it can affect app performance.

3. outcastrc

outcastrc Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    Not sure what you would exactly call it. But apps larger then 30mb will not install on 2.3.3

2.2 had the same problem... :mad:

4. Kyuta Syuko

Kyuta Syuko New Member

Oct 5, 2011
    He's talking about the /Cache/ Partition which is only modifiable via the Partition Information Table aka the .pit file used when flashing the phone via Odin or Heimdall.

There are various scripts and what not posted on another forum that allows you to replace it with a virtual cache. I personally haven't gotten them to work on my Captivate, but I haven't tried them all.

I have however hexed the S1JE4 pit file used with Captivate firmware to repartition the phone with a larger cache but a smaller dbdata. Gives an error on first boot, but a factory reset and a reboot generally fixes the issue.

Some other issues I have experienced using my modded pit file with I897UCKI2 that I'm not sure are related are when redownloading my purchased apps from the market I can only download every third app. The two between like to hang -- the market will stay on the loading screen till I press the back button -- after pressing Install. Clearing the Market Data fixes it, but it's a pain to have to keep clearing the Market Data.

The other issue I've been experiencing is that ADW.Launcher EX causes my phone to randomly reboot.

Again I'm not sure if this is all related to the modified partition sizes, the dbdata copy error, or the system apps I had uninstalled because I thought they were bloatware/unneeded.

5. olo567

olo567 Member

Feb 2, 2011