• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.3.3 to 2.3.6 on Galaxy S

Yes, I have a Galaxy S, never been rooted or flashed, it was on 2.1 when I got it and I've updated regularly as new firmware is released via Kies - it's now on 2.3.6.

As for how - I installed Kies on my pc, plugged my Galaxy in with the USB lead, if there's a new firmware available Kies tells me and asks if I want to upgrade. I just say yes and let it get on with it, following the on-screen instructions (which pretty much say to leave it alone until it's finished). Takes 5 or 10 minutes, no drama. I generally do a factory reset because I've read that it helps, although to be honest I've omitted to do so a couple of times and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I too am looking for information about the GT-I9000 and the 2.3.6 update.

I am from New Zealand. Vodafone NZ seem to be sitting on the idea of providing the 2.3.6 upgrade to their handsets.

I have been looking at installing the upgrade from another country - as I note that the 2.3.6 upgrade was recently released in Australia.

I have looked through all sorts of forums and websites but I eventually get a little bit confused...

Should I wait and see if the official NZ version comes out, use official firmware from another country or find a third party custom rom based on 2.3.6? This would obviously need to be done through a programme other than Kies...

Upvote 0
Yes, I have a Galaxy S, never been rooted or flashed, it was on 2.1 when I got it and I've updated regularly as new firmware is released via Kies - it's now on 2.3.6.

As for how - I installed Kies on my pc, plugged my Galaxy in with the USB lead, if there's a new firmware available Kies tells me and asks if I want to upgrade. I just say yes and let it get on with it, following the on-screen instructions (which pretty much say to leave it alone until it's finished). Takes 5 or 10 minutes, no drama. I generally do a factory reset because I've read that it helps, although to be honest I've omitted to do so a couple of times and it didn't seem to make any difference.
Hey thanks, although when I go into kies it says im up to date. I am from Australia and its the GT-19000T. Is that a problem?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones