• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.3.340 is here! Post your experiences

Ok here's my experience... this is one bad ass phone yo!

First I downloaded the official leaked OTA from AndroidCentral onto my computer. But I didn't have my USB cable with me (visiting my sister), so I installed ADB Wireless so I could push it onto my phone over wifi. Well, once I got into it I didn't have any clue as to how to retrieve it off of my computer and put it on my phone. Sooooo... I just punched in the address into the address bar on the browser on my phone, and downloaded it straight onto my SD card from there!

Next, I rebooted into recovery, and tried to install it... it said the update zip did not exist. What??? Ok, went back and reread the instructions. It said to place the update zip on the root of my SD card... wasn't so sure what that meant at first. So I went into Root Explorer (first time I've ever used that app to be honest) and looked at my SD card looking for something that said 'root' on it. I found my download folder, opened it up and saw the update zip inside. Then it dawned on me, I needed to move it out of that folder and onto the card itself (ah ha, so that's what 'root' of the SD card meant!). So I very easily moved it out of the download folder, and onto the card itself.

Ok, repeat previous steps, rebooted into recovery... install zip from SD card... voila, SUCCESS!!!! How sweet is that, didn't even need a computer, just downloaded it straight from the phone itself onto it's own SD card, no middle man, no hassel. It did require a bit of thinking, but not so much that I broke a sweat or anything. This is cake, I'm loving this device, and really just today's technology as a whole, more and more each day!

So did you lose root? Or did you have to unroot?

I can't access AndroidCentral this morning for some reason.

EDIT: No getting it now anyway. That link is disabled due to volume.

Upvote 0
Hum sometimes they only change the letters after the initial number string for the kernel version. For example, I'm on 2.6.32.9-gca645b6 and am running the 320 leak. What about for 340?

Nvmd I found it on the first page, guess I should have read. So for 340 the kernel is 2.6.32.9-g55626e1. Does that mean the kernel is different the 320 leak? But p3droid said it was the same right?

Upvote 0
So did you lose root? Or did you have to unroot?

I can't access AndroidCentral this morning for some reason.

EDIT: No getting it now anyway. That link is disabled due to volume.

Sorry so late...

Yes I did lose root. At first I didn't think I had because some of my root apps were still working, like AdFree, DX OverClocker, SetCPU and others. But when I tried to use WirelessTeether for Root Users it wouldn't connect. Then I went into TiBackUp and it said I didn't have superuser permissions. So when I realized I didn't have root any more I went to the market to download Z4Root and it wasn't there (I had assumed it was just my updated market not showing it, but I guess it's been pulled altogether). So I went the backdoor route to get it (go to 'All Things Root' and see my thread in there on how to get it), and was able to reroot.

It's pretty painless, but wow I wasn't aware it took SOOO long to root with Z4Root. The first try I left it sit there for about 25 minutes, and when it was still just spinning I figured it had gone awry somehow. So I stopped it, did a reboot, and started it again. After it went for another 15 minutes I decided I wasn't going to touch it and just see what happened. I put a movie in and started watching. I know I checked it about half an hour later and it was still spinning. At that point I figured maybe the app I had downloaded wasn't working. But I left it alone. When the movie was over I checked it again... it had gone to the recovery screen. Once I rebooted, I was rooted (hey!), yay!!!

So be patient with it, I had no idea it took that long, but it worked for me.

Reactions: crboone
Upvote 0
Sorry so late...

Yes I did lose root. At first I didn't think I had because some of my root apps were still working, like AdFree, DX OverClocker, SetCPU and others. But when I tried to use WirelessTeether for Root Users it wouldn't connect. Then I went into TiBackUp and it said I didn't have superuser permissions. So when I realized I didn't have root any more I went to the market to download Z4Root and it wasn't there (I had assumed it was just my updated market not showing it, but I guess it's been pulled altogether). So I went the backdoor route to get it (go to 'All Things Root' and see my thread in there on how to get it), and was able to reroot.

It's pretty painless, but wow I wasn't aware it took SOOO long to root with Z4Root. The first try I left it sit there for about 25 minutes, and when it was still just spinning I figured it had gone awry somehow. So I stopped it, did a reboot, and started it again. After it went for another 15 minutes I decided I wasn't going to touch it and just see what happened. I put a movie in and started watching. I know I checked it about half an hour later and it was still spinning. At that point I figured maybe the app I had downloaded wasn't working. But I left it alone. When the movie was over I checked it again... it had gone to the recovery screen. Once I rebooted, I was rooted (hey!), yay!!!

So be patient with it, I had no idea it took that long, but it worked for me.

I was finally able to obtain the update.zip. However, it aborts when it does the system check at the build.prop file. Any idea what could be causing that? I haven't done much to the phone since my last Factory Reset when I kept having problems with the USB connection rebooting my phone.

I did root, overclock and change the boot animation, but I've returned the CPU and animation back to stock.

Upvote 0
Do you have anything frozen, or removed from the phone? I did not unroot, all I did was went into TiBackUp and defrosted all of my frozen apps. I never erased a single stock app from my phone, I just froze everything I didn't want to see or have using my phones resources. So it was pretty painless.

Now my first attempt also failed. I'm not sure what the difference between these two screens are, but one of them only has 4 options to choose from (the screen you get to when you power down the phone, then press the power and the home button at the same time), and they are all in blue. That was the first screen I attempted to upload it from. I scrolled down to the second option, "apply update from SD card", but it failed from there.

Then I went into my Droid X Bootstrapper (it's a root only app), it has an option to reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. From there I scrolled down to 'apply update from SD card'. Now, don't ask me what the heck the difference was, but it worked when I did it from that screen. May have just been by chance, but that's how I did it.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
I was finally able to obtain the update.zip. However, it aborts when it does the system check at the build.prop file. Any idea what could be causing that? I haven't done much to the phone since my last Factory Reset when I kept having problems with the USB connection rebooting my phone.

I did root, overclock and change the boot animation, but I've returned the CPU and animation back to stock.

Try this
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/232567-upgrade-2-3-9-advice-2.html
post here if it works
Thanks
one more thing use at your own risk (but you knew this already).

Upvote 0
Try this
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/232567-upgrade-2-3-9-advice-2.html
post here if it works
Thanks
one more thing use at your own risk (but you knew this already).

Oh, are you on 2.3.9 Boone? If so, then maybe that's what you need. If not... well is it supposed to be used by those on 2.3.15 or 2.3.20?

Also Boone, and I'm not trying to make you sound like a dumb ass by any means, but I honestly did not know this until my phone failed to even see the update until I did this... when you download it to your SD card you have to then go in with Root Explorer (or which ever app you have for this) and move it directly to the SD card itself. Otherwise, the phone doesn't know where to look for it.

Upvote 0
Oh crap. Frustration sets in. Trust me my man, I've been there. When technology isn't jiving with whatever it is you're attempting to do with it... well I don't know that I've ever experienced so much frustration then I have at times like that. But once you iron out the kinks and figure out what went wrong, technology can seem like the coolest shit on earth.

Hang in there brother, the good news is since you haven't done the update, the old sbf should work to recover your phone. There are plenty of threads in the 'everything root' section to explain how to sbf back to stock. Your phone should not be permanently bricked.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was on 2.3.15, and I moved the update.zip to the root of the SD card. It's just the time it will require to set everything back up. I'll spend the evening looking for the SBF instructions and redoing all of my settings. Again.

I'll leave it stock this time if I get it back to normal. I thought I had made very minimal changes to prevent this from happening.

Upvote 0
If it's at all possible for you, try to look at times like this sort of the way I do (well, once all the steam has boiled off my my head anyways)... the more times we screw up our devices and have to fix them, the more we're learning about them. Ha, I know that's very little condolence at this point in time, but honestly I feel much more educated after all of the trials and tribulations I've gone through with this device than I ever did in all the years I spent on my Blackberry. It just worked for me all the time, so I never had to mess with it. And because it wasn't customizable at all, I was never able to screw it up.

Now this phone is a different story. You certainly CAN screw one of these up if you're not really sure of what you're doing. I know, because I have. But like I said, I feel like I know this phone a LOT better than I ever did my Blackberry. And somehow that makes me feel more in tune with it. When it's running really well, I feel a certain amount of accomplishment because I know part of the reason is me, not the people who put it together and shipped it out to me.

I have much to learn yet though. If this makes you feel any better (doubt it), I just goofed up my phone as well. As I was replying to your post I went to the screens I was describing to you on my phone so that I could accurately tell you what they looked like. Well in the process I accidentally hit the 'apply update from SD card' and REUPDATED my phone to 2.3.40. And in the process... that's right, you guessed it... I LOST ROOT AGAIN!!! AAARRRRRGGGGG... it's ok, you can laugh. I did.

So I had to open up Z4Root again, I hit the 'root' key, it spun for about 15 minutes and then froze up. So I did a battery pull, did it all over again, and now it's been spinning for 10 minutes. Who knows how long it's going to take to reroot?

But oh well, I feel 'smarter' now that I've screwed it up yet again. Smarter because now I know to erase the God Damn update from my SD card after I'm done updating so that I can't do dumb stuff like this again. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones