• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.3.4 GingerBread

Something has definitely changed between 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 on the Nexus S. The color temp is way off now and everything has a dingy, yellow hue to it. It looks terrible compared to my N1 on 2.3.3.
I have (controlled condition) photographs of the screen running 2.3.2, 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 and there are no changes between the last two versions.

2.3.2 is too blue, but with 2.3.3 the screen became too yellow. The contrast and saturation changed too, and not for the better.

Upvote 0
Received 2.3.4 OTA this morning. Previously on 2.3.2 (didnt receive 2.3.3). I can confirm that colours and contrast change compared to 2.3.20 - everything looks washed out, looks like more than a colour temp change to me. (cant compare to 2.3.3 obviously).

Im not too keen on the change, but im sure ill live with it. For me the biggest difference is indoors with AUTO on for the brightness it now seems too low. Obviously i can turn it up, but my battery life will suffer.

Upvote 0
"Me too" replies are a little lame, but... ME TOO ;)

I turned on my phone at about 8am CDT this morning and the 2.3.4 status update was waiting. Like most other folks, I was on 2.3.2 before receiving the update.

Everything looks fine. No color shift, no "washed out" screen. Hopefully I won't get the random phone reboot after completing phone calls that hits me once every week or two.

Upvote 0
Hmm, judging from the videos the Nexus S 4G looked deep and vivid still and it had 2.3.3. I guess I will have to see it in person come May 8. I really can't believe Google did that. That was a really dumb idea. Might as well gave it Super LCD Screens. Clearly the colors were originally modified to go along with the Super Amoled display. You can't just go changing temp colors and having it look like something else we paid for because some guy or group of people at Google HQ think the colors should be lighter. Smh. All the things they create and tweak they should of did it for their own Nexus phone. I mean things like that are the reasons as to why we got the phone. Along with it being pure and etc. You don't just change things like that. I'll guess I'll live with it to once I see it.

Upvote 0
Has anyone received the OTA 2.3.4 yet?

Bob

Just received it in the U.K. Haven't had a chance to try any of the new features yet, but very encouraged by reports that battery life might be improved! I just had BestBuy send me a new Lexmar replacement battery, but it's real drag having to swap batteries many days by mid-afternoon.

One piece of bad news for 2.3.4 -- the update has done nothing to fix the problem with the Google Maps live wallpaper where a grey bar appears across the top and I can no longer get a closeup of my location (just a view of the world's map).

Upvote 0
Just received it in the U.K. Haven't had a chance to try any of the new features yet, but very encouraged by reports that battery life might be improved! I just had BestBuy send me a new Lexmar replacement battery, but it's real drag having to swap batteries many days mid-afternoon.

One piece of bad news for 2.3.4 -- the update has done nothing to fix the problem with the Google Maps live wallpaper where a grey bar appears across the top and I can no longer get a closeup of my location (just a view of the world's map).

Unfortunately to me it looks like battery life is worse. I havent tested thoroughly yet, but previously i could get 2 days (not 48hrs, but 40hrs ie 2 waking days worth) of usage from 1 charge.

It definitely seemed to be losing battery faster yesterday. Last night i lost 7% battery. Im pretty sure thats more than i used to lose (approx 2-3% i think). Doesnt bode well. Might well be enough for me to attempt to return to 2.3.2. I never had any problems (1 random reboot in 10 weeks use) the good battery life was one of the great features of the phone.

If the battery performance is worse, then in conjunction with the screen as well i wont be very happy. I would urge anybody currently on 2.3.2 and happy to hold fire until the situation is clear. Im pretty sure id roll back to 2.3.2 right now if I could.

Upvote 0
Got the update yesterday. The colour temperature adjustment which Google has done resulted in almost everything having a grayish, washed-out look now, pretty bad. I noticed it immediately on the lock screen and then on my wallpaper. Really annoying that I can't adjust the colours, the display was almost perfect before this update.

I am now actually considering rooting just so I can fix this.

Upvote 0
http://android.clients.google.com/p...749.signed-soju-GRJ22-from-GRI40.a14a2dd0.zip

That's the link. You have to be on 2.3.3 in order to use that update though. Links for 2.3.2 and 2.3.1 will surely show up soon, but it's just as easy to update to 2.3.3 first.

To apply the update manually follow these steps:

1) download the file from the link and put it into the root directory of your USB storage.
2) reboot your phone into recovery mode (power on while holding volume up, select "recovery" using the volume keys and power button. To enable the recovery menu, hold the power button and press volume up).
3) select "apply update from sd card."
4) select the a14a2dd09749.signed-soju-GRJ22-from-GRI40.a14a2dd0.zip
5) watch it install then select reboot.

The end.

Hmm, I have a bootloader unlocked, rooted Nexus S on Vodafone, with the Voodoo kernel.

I tried this procedure and I got the error:
Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

System rebooted OK, and seems unchanged.

A

Upvote 0
Hmm, I have a bootloader unlocked, rooted Nexus S on Vodafone, with the Voodoo kernel.

I tried this procedure and I got the error:
Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

System rebooted OK, and seems unchanged.

A

You're probably running GRI54. That update only works when coming from GRI40. That error generally means you're trying the wrong version of the update.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately to me it looks like battery life is worse. I havent tested thoroughly yet, but previously i could get 2 days (not 48hrs, but 40hrs ie 2 waking days worth) of usage from 1 charge.

It definitely seemed to be losing battery faster yesterday. Last night i lost 7% battery. Im pretty sure thats more than i used to lose (approx 2-3% i think). Doesnt bode well. Might well be enough for me to attempt to return to 2.3.2. I never had any problems (1 random reboot in 10 weeks use) the good battery life was one of the great features of the phone.

If the battery performance is worse, then in conjunction with the screen as well i wont be very happy. I would urge anybody currently on 2.3.2 and happy to hold fire until the situation is clear. Im pretty sure id roll back to 2.3.2 right now if I could.

Interesting, so far my experience has been the opposite. I was never getting 48 hours, let alone making it through one day. So far, and like you I haven't fully tested it yet, it looks like there has been some kind of improvement.

Upvote 0
Interesting, so far my experience has been the opposite. I was never getting 48 hours, let alone making it through one day. So far, and like you I haven't fully tested it yet, it looks like there has been some kind of improvement.

A little difficult to quantify as I'm a light user, but my battery life seems to have improved measurably since this latest update. Will know more as time goes on, but I think its improved.

DH

Upvote 0
I went into my local Sprint store to pre-order my Nexus S 4g this afternoon. Low and behold they were able to sell me 2! Happy to say that my wife and I have been tinkering with them all day, trying to get used to Android. We were longtime iOS users, who finally escaped the evil tractor beam! If you are waiting for the 8th, it may be worth your time to call your local Sprint store. They may be able to sell you one right now too!

Upvote 0
I have (controlled condition) photographs of the screen running 2.3.2, 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 and there are no changes between the last two versions.

2.3.2 is too blue, but with 2.3.3 the screen became too yellow. The contrast and saturation changed too, and not for the better.

I'll post pics later tonight...I compared to one of our Nexus S test devices at work still on 2.3.3 and the difference is night and day, even in the photo taken with a crappy iTouch camera.

Upvote 0
I'll post pics later tonight...I compared to one of our Nexus S test devices at work still on 2.3.3 and the difference is night and day, even in the photo taken with a crappy iTouch camera.
I await those photos with interest. I can post some that show 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 (on the same phone) are identical. The photographs are from a Canon 5D Mk.II DSLR with a reference grey card in the frame.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones