• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.3.4 Latest OTA[2.77.651.8] Downgrade!!

fafaerer

Lurker
Apr 27, 2011
Hey guys, so since the latest OTA, we haven't been able to downgrade nor root the shift, if we were on the latest OTA. I've been hunting through methods for downgrading and rooting, but nothing came about that actually worked. Finally having a free mind after my AP Physics exam, I got a train of though going, and tried Indirect's downgrade method, which yes, failed. What happened is when tacoroot tried to reboot the phone, it didn't have the permissions to reboot the phone, and so when the "error" on the CMD wrote that I have no permission to reboot the phone, I whipped out quick root, and did the reboots through it. Using quick root and Indirect's method of downgrading, I managed to downgrade to Android 2.2, and got to root my phone, then flash some ROMs.

Solution:

When you are in the step in Indirect's tutorial where you use the
Code:
[COLOR="Red"]adb shell sh /data/local/tmp/taco --setup[/COLOR]
command, you'll notice that tacroot doesn't have the permissions to reboot, at that time, you have to open lyriquidperfection's "HTC Quick Root v1.1.13" application and execute the reboot to recovery command through it by clicking on the drop down in reboot options, and choosing to reboot to recovery.

When you are at the step in the tutorial when you boot to hboot in order to downgrade, you can use the Quick Root application to reboot to bootloader where you flash your downgraded PG06IMG.zip.

Links:
Indirect's - Root and downgrade for Android 2.3.4
lyriquidperfection's - HTC Quick Root v1.1.13

If any clarification is needed, please post below, this is simply a quick guide to allow people to downgrade and if they choose, root it or flash a ROM. I take NO responsibility in what you do with your device nor when you void your warranty. I take NO credit for neither Indirect's method of downgrading, nor lriquidperfection's application, though I would appreciate a thanks for my compiling this "quick guide" to help you downgrade your device. If you're looking for credits on the method and application, they should be found at those posts.

Good luck,
John

*If you want to flash a rooted version of this update, go to this thread
Just keep in mind you can't flash a new ROM to your phone until you downgrade.

(This is my quick guide that I wrote up on xda)

Reactions: CNexus and tube517

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones