1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

2.3 battery use and battery mangament apps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andymarriner, Sep 13, 2011.

1. andymarriner

andymarriner Newbie

Hello all like many of you i have recently updated my x10i to 2.3.3 offical i have since rooted but after compleating the update etc i have discovered battery life is very sub par so i instaled xrecovery and wiped the battery stats and i have been charging and discharging fully for a few days now but no improvment

with the phone compleating ideling i didnt look at it or pick it up once i got 7 hours 50 mins runtime on a full discharge i dont know about other users but when i was on 2.2 i could get double this
    I should add i am sporting some fancy new widgets which i didnt use befor but as of today i have removed all widgets and set up an agresive task killer i will see if this improves preformance

but could any one give me some advice or opinions how are your batterys doing in 2.3 and do battery saving apps like juice defender really help?
    if any way has actualy run some numbers and checked times using different apps i would be very interested to see thoughs

all coments and adivce welcome and appreciated
    Thank you

Advertisement

2. Merolas

Merolas Android Enthusiast

do you have any power draining apps in the background?

i did updated mine also..not rooted though and my battery will last about 3 days with normal use. did not charged mine since yesterday 6 am and i still have 41% and i played games for about an hour and surfed the web.

3. beau420

beau420 Android Expert

Do you leave Data and Bluetooth and GPS and wireless on?

Don't use any type of live wallpaper, less icons apps and widgets, the quicker and longer the phone will last before you need a charge.

You could also install Titanium backup and remove other built in apps you don't use.

When you were on 2.1....did you just have 2.1 stock? Or some other version where some of the x10 apps were removed....like no facial recognition software and no timescape.

If you want to further improve your performance, think about installing a custom ROM.

I am just about to install Blue Sparks as soon as I boot into Windows.

4. andymarriner

andymarriner Newbie

I dont use any live walls papers and i have all ready used titainume and striped it but i am unable to find face recognition in the new build is it intergrated in to the camera this time? if any one knows how to remove it i would be greatfull for advice bluetooth gps etc are allways off accept either data or wirless which ever i am using at the time

I have to say i am shocked to hear some one has got 3 days from their phone could you please give me a short list of the apps you use and how many home screens etc i would appreciate it alot

Finaly is any one using a new home launcher on 2.3 and what do people recomend i used a few in 2.2 but i thought i would just stick with stock this time but maybe thats the problem.

Any advice or opinions are welcome
    Many thanks Andy

5. beau420

beau420 Android Expert

Complete Guide to Maximizing Your Android Phone’s Battery Life - How-To Geek

I use a Task Manager and whenever I am done surfing the net or running some app that I am done with I open task manager and kill everything.

I use 3 screens....only have 5 icons on those screens and the power control widget.

I turn my wifi off for 90 percent of the day...when I don't use it.

I remove apps that pop back up in Task Manager even when I don't use them. I recently installed some online poker app, and it ran all the time. I would kill the app, it would stay closed for an hour, then I would check the Task Manager again and it came back. Same with an alarm clock app I downloaded and a DLNA server app that I turned off.

I removed those apps, since they were eating battery power.

To be honest, I usually charge my phone every day or every other day. It is actually better to always try and keep your phone fully charged. The battery is more taxed if you let it drain to nearly nothing before charging.

I try and charge the phone if it gets before 40 percent.....preferably sooner.

Empath likes this.
  6. uzee

uzee Well-Known Member

my battery life has increased and i dont use a task killer.

7. clockwork58

clockwork58 Android Enthusiast

Since the upgrade to 2.3 I felt the battery was going a bit faster than in 2.1
    I try to maximize battery life. The only constant data I have is gmail. fb and twitter are on manual check, no flashy wallpaper, etc..

I use task manager sparingly nowadays.

What I did end up doing is d/l No Frill CPU control and make the max speed 768Mhz instead of the potential 998Mhz cause a lot of people claim it just kills the battery while running at that speed and the phone tends to run "hot" as well.

My Normal Use I'll get 40hrs-48hrs on a single charge.

beau420 likes this.
  8. ryno1974

ryno1974 Member

I recently upgraded to 2.3, and my battery life is worse than ever. I am not rooted, running stock android. I run moxier with push email (work) and have my home email poll every hour (very little activity there). I have deleted as many apps and widgets as I can, and only run WiFi when at home because my phone also eats a TON of unexplained data. I almost never run the GPS or bluetooth. I have advanced task killer installed and kill apps periodically. I am running launcher pro with 5 home screens. I have Juice defender but dont see a ton of difference on or off.

I know there is more I can do, like turn down my screen, turn off data, basically turn off the phone - but I bought the phone to use it. There is so much potential in this phone, but there is something in there somewhere that makes it basically useless. I cannot get a full day out of a battery charge. I unplug at about 6:30 am, listen to music for a half hour on my bike ride into the office, then light facebook / browsing during the day (with moxier pushing out emails and calendar sync). If I want to have any battery left to listen to music on the ride home at 5 I need to plug it in for a couple hours at my desk. Then by about 9 when I plan on heading to the gym and want to listen to music again I may or may not have enough to make it through a workout.

I love my phone, but I am at my wits end with this battery problem that SE does not want to admit to or address. I have a bunch of android and iPhone friends that get like 2-3 days off a charge doing whatever they want with their phones. And dont even mention the BB guys, those guys can get like 4 days without a charge. They look at me like I'm nuts as I constantly plan my next charging location.

Almost time for an upgrade, and I am very reluctant to go with the arc or the play based on this performance.

9. 916x10

916x10 Android Enthusiast

Since you didn't make any mention of doing this, I suggest you charge to 100%, with charger still plugged in reboot to xRec, wipe battery stats then disconnect the charger and reboot. Let the phone lose all it's power as slowly as possible (turn off account sync, background data, wifi, 3g data, turn brightness down as far as you can, etc.). The point is to allow the phone to lose power slowly over a long period of time.....after the phone dies, immediately plug it into the charger and let it charge to 100% without interruption and use the phone as normal. You should get far more than 7hrs batt time on a charge.

Here's what my battery looked like after nearly 24hrs

[​IMG]

I got 3 days out of my battery once....I used the phone very little, I had just calibrated my battery and was in the process of letting it run down on it's own before I charged it back to 100% to complete the process. At the time I was on Wolfbreak GB v3.9....I'm now on v5.0 and while I haven't preserved the battery life purposely to see how long it'll last on a charge, it's not uncommon for me to get home from work and still have 85% charge or better....that's taking the phone off the charger at 6:30am and getting home at 5:30pm.

I leave 3g off, wifi off, background data off, account sync off, only 2 widgets running (SwitchPro and SDS Clock Lite), Facebook & Eventstream removed, Timescape removed, brightness normally set at about 20%-30%. Battery performance is not a concern of mine.

10. andymarriner

andymarriner Newbie

[​IMG]

This picture show no andriod OS how is that possible i always have 7% Android OS also i really just cant belive people saying they are getting 35 hours + i can get 9 if i turn every thing off and leave the phone sleeping all day

But i have noticed one thing every who talks about a long battery is saying and that is wolf roms not stock so i guess thats my next choice

I have done wipe battery stats and it didnt help at all still getting 7hours 50

Its driving me crazy If wolf dosnt work i think i will just have to downgrade too 2.2 battery was great on that at least 12 hours i just dont understand it 2.3 says it should save battery

11. beau420

beau420 Android Expert

My buddy had the same complaints and after I cleaned his phone, his battery time increased 25 percent.

I randomly open task manager and take a look at what apps are running.

I know that if I havent used a Alarm Clock app all day and it isn't even set to run, it should never be runnin in the background. If it does and I never started it and it started on its own for no potential reason....remove it.

I have noticed some media apps are also really taxing. Tried a few different media apps and a lot of them were really taxing on the battery and ran in the background all the time.

Any app I don't run, or use, but it turns itself on, and isn't needed, I remove.

I put the Power Control widget on my main screen and leave wifi and data and gps and data off unless they are needed. When I am done, I turn them off.

I can only have about 50 apps installed. I try and leave the screen off as much as I can. I rarely let the screen timeout and go to black. I hit the power button to turn the screen off.

Batt curently at 58 percent

My battery currently says 18h 45m 29 sec.

Cell Standby 38%
    Phone Idle 30%
    Display 18%
    Wifi 4%
    Meridian (media player) 4%
    Voice Call 3%
    Skyfire (browser) 2%

I listen to a lot of stuff on my phone. When I last plugged it in, it didn't even get to 100 percent.

12. 916x10

I don't know why it doesn't show Android OS...I just took another SS and this is what it's showing now.....the only reason my battery is that low after such a short amount of time is cause I took about 10 pics a little while ago.

[​IMG]

I could easily get 3+ days of use on a single charge, without even thinking about it. I documented it on XDA a few weeks ago actually.

Wolfs rom is awesome. It doesn't overdo it with obnoxious graphical eye candy, it's a fast, smooth, vanilla rom (as far as eye candy goes) that gets the job done and has been working well on my phone since v3 (v3.8 not included :mad: )

Simply wiping battery stats accomplishes nothing, you must follow the procedure I posted or it's a waste of time.

13. clockwork58

andymarriner & 916x10,
    What the program for the battery indicator you have in the top right corner?

14. 916x10

The pic he posted is just a repost of my screenshot. It's not a program, it's a Digital battery theme I had cooked up at the UOT Kitchen. Much better than any battery indicator I've seen on any rom, IMO. If you're rooted you can flash it to your phone, let me know if you're interested in doing so and I'll post it up here.

15. andymarriner

andymarriner Newbie

I really like this battery mod i have been looking for it every where if you could post it i would really appreciate it :)

also I am going to load wolfs rom and see how that works out but if you dont mind could you give me a short list of the basic apps you use such as any task killers or battery defenders etc just so i can try and compare i have offten thought battery saving widgets probably use more than they save i cant see any difference

Thank you very much

16. clockwork58

I am rooted running the generic 2.3 Sony Rom from XDA (Non WB's, the other one that got posted and rooted via Doomlord's/Azizu method)

If I have to reflash and reload everything, then I'll keep mine status quo with the battery widget i have now.

17. 916x10

My mod doesn't wipe data so you should be fine, but I've never tested it on a stock rooted rom so I can't say for certain. What I would do is make a backup of your existing rom using MyBackup*Root (free in the Market) and then go ahead and flash my battery mod. If it works, sweet, it not, reboot into xRec and restore from the backup you just made.

18. andymarriner

andymarriner Newbie

Hello i have noticed that you havnt actualy linked any files
    If i am being stupid and you have, my appoligies but please point me in the right direction i really need this battery mod looks so nice

Appreciated
    Andy

19. 916x10