• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.3 GingerBread for Captivate[discussion]

ICS - Neither Samsung nor ATT have committed to releasing it as far as I know. Face it, our phones are old new and outdated (in phone years). Our phones came with eclar, updated to Froyo, and Gingerbread updates are in progress. That's pretty darn good, considering there is no requirement that any mfg ever release any update. You are entitled to nothing - so accept their generous FREE updates when they come.

Ever see Microsoft issue you a free upgrade from Windows 95 to Win XP and then to Win 7? Never.

About Gingerbread - Samsung already did their part and released it. ATT is working on it - committed to releasing it - has not reneged. Some people just seem impatient.

This whole thread is kinda funny. You could just about do a search and replace - substituting Froyo for Gingerbread - and you'd see almost the same complaints as the last update.

Upvote 0
ICS - Neither Samsung nor ATT have committed to releasing it as far as I know. Face it, our phones are old new and outdated (in phone years). Our phones came with eclar, updated to Froyo, and Gingerbread updates are in progress. That's pretty darn good, considering there is no requirement that any mfg ever release any update. You are entitled to nothing - so accept their generous FREE updates when they come.

Ever see Microsoft issue you a free upgrade from Windows 95 to Win XP and then to Win 7? Never.

About Gingerbread - Samsung already did their part and released it. ATT is working on it - committed to releasing it - has not reneged. Some people just seem impatient.

This whole thread is kinda funny. You could just about do a search and replace - substituting Froyo for Gingerbread - and you'd see almost the same complaints as the last update.

I agree that complaining about the lack of GB or ICS for our phones, which are no longer on the bleeding edge of progress, is a kind of counterproductive sport. In fact people who really want an upgrade have an option to install a custom ROM, which not so hard.
However your analogy is not perfect. Neither Samsung nor AT@T had to develop a new/upgraded operating system as Microsoft did. Google did it for them, they just need to tweak it to work on this particular device. In fact AT@T mostly loads it up with useless bloatware.
The most important problem is not the lack of upgrades but the way these companies communicate with their customers. They should not make any promises if they are not sure they can keep them. In fact GB for Captivate was deployed in Canada. The reason why the US carriers are always the last to roll out their upgrades is completely unclear to me.

Reactions: darkrequiem
Upvote 0
You are entitled to nothing - so accept their generous FREE updates when they come.

Well, and they are entitled to nothing when we make our next phone purchase or sign our next wireless contract.

Microsoft releases free updates all the time to correct problems with their software. Apple updates to the iPhone are free of course.

I agree that at some point it becomes impatient complaining. Having said that, the reason that Android phones enjoy the market share they do is largely the progress they've made over time. It also is beneficial to have more Android users using the latest OS as app developers can more easily design apps that work properly on more phones (which in turn increases customers' incentive to use or purchase the phones). I think if you take away that development or only make it available to people purchasing new handsets Android will quickly disappear.

Dave

Upvote 0

I hear GB is to be available beginning today!

Reactions: rubiconjp
Upvote 0
Well, I'm not sure what the hell is going on. So far my phone has rebooted 3 times, by itself. The phone boots, does a media scan, then reboots. I was able to get a signal for a minute and could make a call, but then it all went to hell again. The phone now has major lag, something that I never had before, and doesn't seem to recognize my External card.

OK, hold on, now it is working. I'm not sure what is going on. I didn't think that the phone needed a series of reboots for the upgrade, but I could be wrong. And, I still have SuperUser showing on my apps, but no root. Titanium backup will not work and neither will Swype. What is the easiest way to root 2.3.5?

Upvote 0
Well I am in complete SHOCK today! Just upgraded my phone, like you others, and no problems. It did not corrupt nor remove anything, but I am not rooted either. I will have to say I might have jumped the gun on the Samsung Gingerbread thing, but after the last update with Froyo it just left a sour taste in my mouth. I will be the FIRST to admit I was wrong on not getting the update. I am glad they got it out to everyone today!
Cheers

Upvote 0
Hey, I need some help.

I've been working on updating my phone for the past two hours. I have mini kies and it says to connect my phone. My phone is connected. And when the options come up, I select Kies (Firmware Update)... what am I doing wrong? My computer is Windows 7 64-bit, and I don't know if this has any relevance to the update... this is my first smart phone.

Thanks in advance to all of those who can help.

Upvote 0
I'm content with the update. Used my GPS for two hours today, worked well and didn't kill my battery, still at about 25% after HEAVY usage playing around with the new OS, on my eBay battery. My phone was rooted but now is not, so I'm trying to figure out how to re-root so I can get SetDNS to work lol. Everything is WAY faster, Quadrant was 1260 with a fresh reformat.

Upvote 0
The update works a treat here. Small cosmetic changes mostly but the OS generally feels more responsive. full screen effects are smoother and can install non approved apps without using a sideloading app and USB cable.

Haven't played with it much other than basics but pleased with the update. Didn't wipe anything, hoping the battery will last as well or better than Froyo.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been reported yet, but I upgraded to 2.3.6 yesterday on my Captivate and have some huge issues now:

1. The screen PIN lock does not work 90% of the time. My employer requires me to have a PIN set to unlock my phone in order to receive emails from our Microsoft Exchange Server. This worked fine with 2.2, but since upgrading it no longer works. I went to AT&T...no help. They suggested that I buy a new phone with 2.2. I called Samsung...no help. They suggested that I do a factory reset!

2. You lose the ability to manage your data connection as they have removed the feature that allows you to enable and disable the 3G connection.

Hope this is some value to you all.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been reported yet, but I upgraded to 2.3.6 yesterday on my Captivate and have some huge issues now:

1. The screen PIN lock does not work 90% of the time. My employer requires me to have a PIN set to unlock my phone in order to receive emails from our Microsoft Exchange Server. This worked fine with 2.2, but since upgrading it no longer works. I went to AT&T...no help. They suggested that I buy a new phone with 2.2. I called Samsung...no help. They suggested that I do a factory reset!

2. You lose the ability to manage your data connection as they have removed the feature that allows you to enable and disable the 3G connection.

Hope this is some value to you all.

Not sure about pin lock, but data connection is in Settings -> Wireless and network -> Mobile networks. there is a check box for "use packet data". they just removed the quick link is all.

Geeve

Reactions: joto1000
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones