1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

2.3 GingerBread for Captivate[discussion]

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by compscidev, Dec 6, 2010.

1. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Yeah I feel your frustration as well Endoran but you have to realize that with iPhone, Apple controls everything. Outside of the iPhone, the carriers are the one having most of the control when it comes to updates and other things.

I don't think the delay is entirely Samsung's fault. It's at&t also. European Galaxy S as well as other locations already have official 2.2 release from Samsung. We here in the US are among the last. This latest round of delay smells more of US carriers than Samsung itself.

Advertisement

2. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Yes, it's almost a given that this is a carrier (AT&T)-induced delay, given the evidence.

It's ok to be upset, but make sure it's directed at the proper parties. Hate Samsung for the GPS and lag, hate AT&T for the Froyo delay.

3. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Android Enthusiast
    None

Done & done ;)

Evidence AT&T's to blame. "Especially rigorous."

4. Endoran

Endoran Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    I don't get this argument, what about the other U.S. carriers do you think they would wait for at&t to get their act together before releasing their updates? The other carriers had timely updates to their other high end phones. Given Samsungs track record and what I stated above I believe this to be a Samsung delay - hell the newly "leaked" epic4g build had major bugs how is that not Samsungs fault? I understand I could be wrong which is why I stated at the end of my rant that it is googles fault because, well for one it is, but for two I am not for sure where blame deserves to go, but in the end it is everybody's fault, Samsung is definitely not the least at fault, that is for sure. Google setup this backwards system, and thus the most blame goes to them.

5. GaryS1964

GaryS1964 Member
    None

Dec 9, 2010
    I just got my phone a few days ago but GPS is one of the things I tested and it seemed to work just fine. What problems are people having?

I know I can't get a satellite signal inside my house or other buildings but neither can my Garmin GPS units.

6. KonaZXIII

None

Aug 30, 2010
    Orlando
    Give it some time. If yours works fine weeks and months from now, you are among the lucky few.

Problems:

Some people can't get satellites.

Some can get a few satellites, but sat locks don't happen, or sat lock takes an unacceptably long time.

Some get sats and an acceptable lock time to find out it's totally inaccurate.

Some, like me, have experienced all/most of the above and neither update, nor app, nor ROM has done more than make it seem fixed for a day or two.

7. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Grad student
    Martinsburg, WV & Portales, NM
    Here is a tweet from @GalaxySService, the official Samsung service reps for the Galaxy S line:
    They are being rather terse and somewhat snappy over this whole thing. This tweet was in response to my forwarding the tweets about HTC and LG announcing their support for gingerbread for their lesser phones. Usually, these reps have been nothing but cheerful when responding, so this seems odd to me and doesn't bode well. If I had gotten something like "thanks for being patient, we just need you to be patient a little longer while we examine this" or something similar would have been more in character. It is odd that they are so super defensive already about gingerbread. Maybe Sabrina is just having a bad day, but I hope this early defensive stance is not an indicator that they are already feeding their frontlines with pre-fab statements to deal with disappointed masses...

8. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    Guys, the non-answer you are getting should be all the confirmation that you need. If Samsung was going to commit to supporting Gingerbread on their "flagship" device they would just say so. I'm sure they will push out Froyo eventually, they committed to it and it would be a huge loss of face to never put it out.

Look at from their point of view, to them our Captivates are a dead platform. I'm sure they are working on some dual-core successor to the Nexus S, at least they had better be if they want to be in the phone business next year. Any engineering resources they are using on Captivates are resources they aren't using on the product that will be keeping the mobile division going next year. The captivate is probably closer to its EOL date at AT&T than it is to its release date. I'm sure they are still building them at the factory now but I'm not sure if that will be true 6 months from now. They promised that it would be delivered with Eclair with an upgrade to Froyo.

The correct answer from both AT&T and Samsung to the Gingerbread question is "Buy a new phone".

9. KonaZXIII

None

Aug 30, 2010
    Orlando
    We know damn well HTC is working three steps ahead (in terms of new tech) as well. What's their motivation for supporting old phones w/new updates when they don't "have to"?

10. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    Wow.......seems like the truth about the captivate being dead to them. I hope this hurts their future sales so that they can feel how we feel. I've been on numerous websites stating, "why google...why did u have samsung make the nexus s".

11. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    I would still maintain that the issue is their insane belief that users want their customized Samsung UI, Touchwiz 3.0.

The #1 question I've seen asked in the industry press since last July is - how will that slow down your update process?

One big part of 2.3 - not all of it, but a big part - is the new UI.

I'll predict for you that until they sort this out, this UI debacle will follow them to future devices.

Strictly an opinion.

12. rubiconjp

None

Sep 20, 2010
    Right they did promise Froyo but never anything else beyond it. However, they will surely lose a lot of customers for their future products if for a flagship product, just one update and done for good.

At least Apple updated the iPhone 2G thru at least 4 updates.

13. northernale1

northernale1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    i have to disagree with the apple comment,,worse thing i ever did was upgrade my 3g to OS4,, thats when i learnt I would sooner wait for a proven working OS ,, OS4 on 3g ruined my phone to the point of almost being useless, with lag ontop of lag,,,

14. sandshifter

sandshifter Newbie
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    I don't want to start a new thread but what is the latest firmware for the captivate because I have 2.1 and when I look for a update there's none available

15. rubiconjp

None

Sep 20, 2010
    Yeah they screwed up big time with iOS 4.0 release. My 3G was also rendered useless. However they did manage to return the 3G to a somewhat usable state with the 4.2 release.

But at least Apple provided many update cycles to an iPhone model. 4.0 was the first release in which the first iPhone 2G is no longer supported. That's at least 4 OS update cycles. We are here hoping Samsung will give us 2! :mad:

16. La Luna

La Luna Member
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    New York
    That's because there is no update, 2.1 is the latest. There was a minor update a month or two ago to JH7. Do you have that? Settings>About Phone>Baseband Version.

17. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    If samsung introduces another line of galaxy series phones early next year that are available to all carriers then I don't think we'll see 2.3 on the captivate even though phones that came out before ours will (x, evo, incredible etc..). Samsung doesn't care about customers.....it cares about the money. Good example of that is their dlp tv line up. They were big with that type of hdtv and quickly abandoning it leaving customers left to dry. Even stores that sold/fixed dlp's would state that samsung has a shortage on parts for those tv's and their is a huge waiting list. I'm one of those customers who has 50 inch dlp in my garage cause the circuit board is always on backorder.

18. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    The Captivate FAQ is your friend:

I897UCJH7 - CapFAQ

19. Joecascio2000

Joecascio2000 Lurker
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    So still no update. Boy they are cutting it close. Pretty soon I'm gonna have to take my aunts advices and file a class action suit. First the GPS doesn't work plus they been promising an update, but nothing. Those were the main reasons I bought the phone and stuck with Att. I bought the phone because I didn't want it to be immediately out dated and look at us, we're stuck in the past.

20. sandshifter

sandshifter Newbie
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Yes I do and thanks.

ahhh thanks ! definitely bookmarked! :)

21. northernale1

northernale1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 24, 2010

LMAO>. good luck with that

22. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    Imagine how much faster the update would be if they just bought Launcher Pro and slapped that on there. Sprinkle on some un-wanted bloatware and you got a release.

Instead I'm sure Samsung is spending a significant amount of time trying to make Android look as much as an iPhone as possible.

23. vapor311

vapor311 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Oddly Enough, Ive heard 2 Rumors from my buddy with HTC Repairs.

One is that Google paid HTC 2.4 million in dev and research for the nexus one. They get residuals off each sell of that phone (while it lasted).

Secondly, the reason they did not go with HTC again (who built a fine phone) was because Samsung agreed to do it for...Ready? FREE upfront cost and only residual fees from the sale of the phone. They thought the phone would replace all out standing Galaxy S phones and they could persuade all current S users to move to it. Not happening.

Beyond that he has heard numerous reports that google is highly disappointed with the results of the phone and at this point expects it to fail, but its to late and the phone must ship. HTC expects google to return for round 3.

24. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    it seems there may be some truth the samsung going straight to 2.3.
    Gingerbread brings the ext4 file system to new devices | Android Central

now this is about the nexus s using ext4 file system, this is very similar to what the voodoo lagfix brings. so maybe with all the people saying this phone lagged got to samsung, and as they already changed the file system on the nexus s which is like a phone coming with a stock lagfix, maybe a foretaste of things to come

25. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Some of the custom roms you see generating ultra-high benchmark scores include adding an ext-type linux filesystem to the SD card, and using that for the OS swap space, rather than on-board memory.

No idea why that seems to improve things - but it does. As the article says - at a cost - because that part of the SD card is being extensively hit with reads and writes.