1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

2.3 GingerBread for Captivate[discussion]

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by compscidev, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    But that doesn't make any sense at all. I bought my captivate on day one, Ive had the phone less than FOUR damn months and Samsung expects me to pay full price for a Galaxy S that has less memory than my current phone?

To me the Galaxy S is a downgrade, the only new feature is that wave your phone and pay thingy that doesn't really do anything yet. The only thing special about it is Gingerbread and I'm sure designgears is going to be all over that shortly. The Nexus One was the top android phone when it came out, the Nexus S is mediocre at best. I'm sure the next gen phones from HTC and Motorola are going to walk all over that thing.

Advertisement

2. AndreaCristiano

None

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    Gonna say that 2.2 is skipped. Samsung has had 2.3 now for a year and they perfected it on the Nexus. After Nexus releases I'm betting sometime in Jan/ Feb captivate gets 2.3

3. emuneee

emuneee Android Enthusiast
    None

May 10, 2010
    This thread is full of some if the most wildest rumours I have heard in a while.

4. AndreaCristiano

None

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    were taking educated guesses lol ps " most wildest rumors" should be just wildest rumors LOL:D

emuneee likes this.
  5. emuneee

emuneee Android Enthusiast
    None

May 10, 2010
    I added most for emphasis lol :p

6. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    One of the voices in my head told me that Samsung has gotten so bored working with Gingerbread that they are going to skip straight to Parfait. Santa is going to be bringing it to each Captivate owner on Christmas eve, unless they have been naughty and have rooted their phone or said bad things about TouchWiz. Since its from the future Parfait will have features like:

The ability to instantly teleport to a anywhere thats marked on Google Galaxy.
    A real working phaser application, be careful, that USB port will be hot.
    Front facing camera with LED flash.

So make sure you leave out your cookies and your phone for Santa. Otherwise you are going to get a lump of coal and a backflip.

EarlyMon likes this.
  7. AndreaCristiano

None

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    lol ;)

8. AndreaCristiano

None

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    So I just got the new maps and new market all in one shot. So with Canadian galaxy s getting froyo are we next?

9. Endoran

Endoran Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    I think it's kinda funny how people think that samsung had anything to do with getting 2.3 on the Nexus S. Why would google say to Samsung oh yeah here why don't YOU code OUR software for us? It was a joint venture and google did all the software I guarantee it. With that, why would google want to help Samsung get 2.3 on its Galaxy line when it's in direct competition to its google phone? In fact it's identical and the ONLY thing (substantial) that sets it apart is that it runs gingerbread. I seriously doubt we will see 2.3 official for a long, long time. Unofficial...now that's another story, I'm banking on later this week. :cool:

10. AndreaCristiano

None

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    Your theory makes no sense. for one google would want the galaxy S and its million of owners to get the best software possible so that they will continue to want android! Also the galaxy S does NOT directly compete with Nexus S for one its touchwiz versus vanilla Android. Two there is no NFC chip in the galaxy S and three the Nexus S will barely dent the market in sales comparable to the Galaxy S.

11. Endoran

Endoran Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    You like your rose colored glasses? :p Seriously though, I don't see how your post invalidates my opinion. I find it ridiculous how you think the nexus doesn't compete with the galaxy. BUT hey, I actually hope you are right.

12. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Maybe some history will clarify this Nexus-Galaxy S debate.

Google brings out Android - way cool. Vendors (carriers and makers) bicker and whine that there's just sooooo much to do. Google says fine, we'll do a phone - enter the Nexus One, based on the Qualcomm Snapdragon and built by HTC.

While fans and pundits and other manufacturers complain about capability of the handset and whether or not Google was being fair, the Nexus One establishes a baseline hardware configuration for a fully mission-capable Android platform - able to last into the future past its intended sales cycle while able to run Android updates. It's not only Android capable - it's FULLY Android capable. This establishes a milestone in the business and gives users a chance to have a pure Google phone. It is planned from the beginning to only have a limited run - it was based on 65 nm semiconductor technology rather the latest cutting edge stuff - to prove the point that Android did not have be as adult a puzzle as others would have people believe.

Google announces their last performance update will be Froyo, Gingerbread will follow with UI enhancements, and after that, we all go to app city for improvements.

Android takes off like gangbusters. Google expands and improves Android and now Gingerbread includes performance enhancements - the end is not in sight.

Users complain while carrier/vendor combos drag their feet rolling out Froyo updates (and continue to do so, with Gingerbread already knocking on the door).

Google repeats history - time for the second Google phone to protect the pure Android brand.

HTC responds by offering to do their part at the deep discount they provided for the Nexus One. Samsung, eager to make the claims that they're the new Google phone, offers to engineer the new platform to Google specs, free of charge.

Google, not being fools, choose the Samsung handset.

If you want the Google phone, you buy one that says Nexus on the box, and go with the carrier selected by Google. Google provides the updates and gives full Android openness - the carrier and the handset maker have nothing to say about it.

Otherwise, if you want a good Android superphone (I prefer calling our class of smartphones that personally), you can select your favorite carrier and just choose the top-model Android phone that you like. Or, you might like a top-model Android phone and be ok with the carrier it accompanies.

Unlike the Google phone, however, from that point forward, your choices are to either accept what the carrier/maker gives you for software - or - you root, and wait for some developer to get whatever's working on the Google phone working on your model.

So - if you're a carrier without the Google phone - the Nexus - then the Nexus competes with what you have, like a Galaxy S.

If you're Samsung, you're already making the SoC Hummingbird processor, the display, probably the new Sammy mobile memory, etc - and you don't care what handset the incarnation is - it's all Galaxy S-based, it's all going into your pocket.

As far as missing NFC - give it time. Rumor is that new SD cards are coming with the NFC goodness inside to update handsets built without it.

There's one thing the Nexus S will compete with and that's nonsense.

Any false claim of Android non-upgradability made by a carrier or maker becomes toast if it's supported on either Nexus phone.

Hope this clarifies and helps, some.

outcastrc, chalms04 and jpovis like this.
  13. Shelbster

Shelbster Guest
    None
    Well put EarlyMon. I've had thoughts along the lines of what you just wrote, but have not been able to get it from my head to my fingers so eloquently.

EarlyMon likes this.
  14. dcrowser

dcrowser Lurker
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    woah... I've been waiting for 2.2 since I've had my captivate, now there's 2.3 already out. I've given up on at&t. I'll take root after a couple 100% roms of 2.3 are out.

For the most part I forget my phone is running an old version of android when using it... considering it still runs buttery smooth.

15. jpovis

jpovis Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    Engineer
    St. Louis County, MO
    I came from a Blackberry Torch, I really liked it. I could listen to Sirius on it! I got the Captivate for Android believing the 2.2 upgrade was coming. I rooted my phone last night, I now have Sirius. I can get by w/o flashing by using Skyfire. I may stay rooted on 2.1 until 2.3 arrives. Also, my phone seems to run faster, being rooted. I've also gotten rid of alot of AT&T's BS-ware

16. RavenFox

RavenFox Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    I.T
    Westchester, NY
    I've given up looking and waiting. Whenever they decide to do anything is the only time we will get anything. Internet searches and twitter comments aren't going to bring Froyo and Ginger to dinner.

17. Gamble1177

Gamble1177 Newbie
    None

Sep 17, 2010
    Ive had sirius for the week on an unrooted phone as there is an official sirius xm app on the market now.

18. allambition

allambition Well-Known Member
    None

Any updates on 2.3 Gingerbread update?? I've seen some videos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMtJbeow-8I of Gingerbread running on Captivate. Is there any stable versions out there?? I have 2.2 Froyo running right now.. having problems with the phone turning off randomly - was hoping Gingerbread might fix this.

19. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Android Enthusiast
    None

The latest version still has a few issues.

allambition likes this.
  20. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Yeah we're still a ways from having something you can depend on for day-to-day use.

It's a process... give the devs time. :)

21. allambition

allambition Well-Known Member
    None

Thanks, I guess there would be some hoopla if it was finished and everything was working - blogs, forums, etc. would light up. It sucks that it works out this way but its still better than what I've seen Iphone users go through to update their phones to the latest iOS - basically if you don't have Mac you're screwed. I was surprised at how painless it was to upgrade to 2.2 - just need to make sure you have a good build. I didn't mean to come across as impatient - I wish I could help these dev guys but they are much smarter than I am :) Its a heck of a job they are doing - is there ways to help or thank them?

22. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Android Enthusiast
    None

Yep, most have a donate button somewhere in their post/sig over at XDA if ya wanna chip in.

23. Keith Phillips

None

Jan 7, 2011
    I see alot of people on here blaming the lack of Froyo for the Captivate on Samsung. Honestly guys it is not their fault. The reason we do not have an authorized version of Froyo at this time is because AT&T has to approve the OS and they have not done ao.with any version that has been sent to them up to this point. There are several reasons but the main two being that an unrestricted Froyo enables Mobile AP and USB Tethering without incurring service fees from the carrier. AT&T charges $60 each for these features and therefore will not EVER authorize ANY version of the Android OS for ANY phone they sell or provide service for unless features such as these are disabled in the update.
    For those that seriously have to have Froyo skim on over to the XDA website and get it. Perfectly viable and fully functional build is there free for download and it works.
    Just waiting for the gingerbread release now. :)

24. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Well, mostly-functional... but with issues. Some of the issues have alternative work-around via other apps, but it'd be dishonest to suggest to users that these are perfect and risk-free Froyos.

They are based upon the I9000 which is different hardware than the Captivate, then they have to be hacked up with bits from a leaked internal unfinished developer build of 2.2 for the Captivate into a FrankenROM that mostly works, but with little quirks here and there. Then there's just the risk of flashing/hacking that is part for the course.

If a user is ok with that, that's fine. :) But let's not be deceptive. It's important to be up-front about what these ROMs are (and aren't) to the user trying to read up on all this and educate themselves.

25. jpovis

jpovis Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    Engineer
    St. Louis County, MO
    I've rooted my phone, and next plan to flash a ROM, once I decide which one. I have been reading about all the newest phones that are going to hit the market, and 4G coming to all the carriers. At AT & T I will be eligible for an upgrade. I cannot imagine what technology will be like, even by then. So for now, I am going to use my Captivate as a guinea pig and learn how to upgrade on my own, and try to become more savvy about the ins and outs of the smartphones.

This forum and XDA are great for doing just that!