1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

2.3 GingerBread for Captivate[discussion]

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by compscidev, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    The funny thing is every other phone manufacturer released Froyo for their phones MONTHS ago. Even Dell managed to get the streak updated (on AT&T) a few weeks back. None of the US carriers have Froyo for their Galaxy S phones but Motorola and HTC managed to get all of their devices updated a few weeks after it was available when they have to go through the very same QA process that Samsung does on Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint.

Advertisement

2. skramblr

skramblr Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 20, 2010
    I think you are exaggerating a bit. Almost no phones were updated to Froyo in 2010.
    The State of Android Froyo Updates Isn't Pretty

3. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2010

Out of that chart the only phones that are recent phones and were marketed as top-end devices by their respective manufactures are:

Droid
    Droid X
    Droid Incredible
    Evo 4G

Guess what they all have in common. Was anyone really expecting a Froyo update for the backflip?

4. skramblr

skramblr Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 20, 2010
    I'm just saying you made it sound like everyone else was updating - but all these phones ~1yr or less and only 7 of 34 updated.

HTC's been the busiest. Take them out of the picture and only 3 of 26 phones were updated. So not much in the way of updates last year for most phones.

5. tempusmedia

tempusmedia Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2011
    im in scotland and have had 2.2 on my desire hd since i got it a few months back it sounds to me like the states is quite a bit behind europe when it comes to this sort of thing ? why is this
    htc desire
    t mobile

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    HTC updates more frequently and a bit faster - and in the States, it varies by carrier. I've had carrier-supported Froyo on my HTC since August.

Who will get Gingerbread first - that's a whole different horse race and we'll have to wait and see. :)

7. jake64

jake64 Lurker
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    anyone here have a date for the update 2.3 on a rogers captivate?

i'm not happy at all with the lack of information or support from them, and bell/telus both have updates .

8. dougouk

dougouk Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    No date yet. Keep on waiting. =S

9. outcastrc

outcastrc Member
    None

Sep 5, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    My brother and I just upgraded this morning to 2.3.3 on Rogers Captivates. It's out in Canada!

10. El Niche

El Niche Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Given that Canada got GB, is this a good indication that ATT might get it soon? Or it could be anywhere from a 1 day - 12 months delay? After Rogers got the update for Froyo does anybody know how much more it took ATT?

Thanks !

11. bking007

bking007 Lurker
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    forget it dude...just keep waiting..i am already tired of this and planning to get a leaked version..how long can we wait??

12. dougouk

dougouk Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    it's out? Omgggggggggggggggggg

ima open up kies and see if mine upgrades right now

13. El Niche

El Niche Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I'm on the same boat. Let me know what you end up flashing and how it goes. I'll prob do the same. I wanna now if the upgrade makes your phone a bit faster and better battery life.

14. Ballroomblitz

Ballroomblitz Lurker
    None

Sep 27, 2011
    I updated the other day to Gingerbread, still figuring out the changes to see what has improved.

I can say however that the phone is a bit quicker, so that is good. Also my biggest peave was not being able to send out big pictures through MMS, under 2.2 it would say it was compressing the picture but then fail upon sending. Reading the forums it was determined that it did not compress enough so it would fail, most people sent pictures through e-mail or used a different texting app. IT IS ALL FIXED NOW, sending pictures through MMS is the way it should be.

Another thing is after upgrading my keyboard (downloaded the Gengerbread keyboard) was working, but I changed it to the included one and did not like it. When I changed back it just wouldn't take it. The solution was to not only select the gingerbread keyboard, but you have to "select input method" to gingerbread keyboard as well.

I didn't have a battery issue on my captivate, but will keep an eye on it over the next few days to let you know.

Gingerbread is definitely worth upgrading to, I was not impressed by 2.2 as it always looked half done. This 2.3.3 is stable, and finally works out many of the bugs.

Copying and pasteing is also easier now. I am really liking 2.3.3.

El Niche and msueagles2010 like this.
  15. angryphoton

angryphoton Newbie
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    I did notice that today Sept. 27, the AT&T Samsung Captivate support download page was updated with a new version of Kies, SAMSUNG Kies,Others (Software) (ver.11011.4) . Might bode well for a Gingerbread update soon.

btswein likes this.
  16. El Niche

El Niche Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for the info! I'm gonna wait 2 weeks (mostly because I've never flashed before, even though I already read how it has to be done) for ATT. If not I guess I'll make the jump. Its good to know its stable.
    I don't like those ROMS that people say give them 10000000000 quadrant score but the downside is they cant make a phone call.

17. btswein

btswein Guest
    None
    Good catch, definitely good news!

EDIT: That looks like Kies, not Kies Mini though..

EDIT EDIT: That's from 2010..

18. El Niche

El Niche Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Well, the guys from XDA have the leaked 2.3.5 for the captivate. Maybe ATT is getting closer. I might look into flshing this next week.

19. SouthofOttawa

SouthofOttawa Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    IT
    Greely, ON
    Got the Gingerbread update on Rogers here in Canada for my Captivate the other day. Had a bunch of issues with Kies before it actually worked though. Twice the upgrade process stopped and Kies closed on me and then it wouldn't recognize my device again until I unplugged it, rebooted and then plugged it in again. the 3rd try it finally went all the way through and upgraded to Gingerbread successfully!
    It kept all my apps but not my homescreens so I needed to rebuild those, no big deal.
    Haven't really noticed a big difference so far except for icons having different looks. Seems to be a bit faster switching between screens and apps but I haven't looked at battery life yet.

20. btswein

btswein Guest
    None
    I'll be happy to wait if they are giving us 2.3.5 vs. 2.3.3 on Rogers.

21. andrzewi

andrzewi Member
    None

Mar 9, 2010
    Male
    mechanical technician
    Ottawa, Canada
  22. andrzewi

andrzewi Member
    None

Mar 9, 2010
    Male
    mechanical technician
    Ottawa, Canada
    Gingerbread (2.3.3.) for the Captivate | Android in Canada Blog

23. smbyers

smbyers Lurker
    None

Mar 28, 2010
    I just started having the MMS sending issues with the stock Messaging app on 2.2 the other day. I realized that if I used Handcent the problem went away. AT&T told me to swap my SIM and if that didn't work do a factory reset, but I just went back to Handcent instead of messing with all of that.

I hope they come out with GB soon. This is getting ridiculous.

24. Reggie3

Reggie3 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Retired Project Manger -HP/Agilent
    Fort Collins CO
  25. GR8ONE68

GR8ONE68 Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    I was on the phone with AT&T today. Basically, I have been bugging them about my Captivate. Ever since the Froyo upgrade, my Bluetooth has been working sporadically. I have read others with this problem as well.

I started with the first operator that answered as I usually do. I asked him if there was a relaease of 2.3 yet and as usual, I was put on hold. When he came back, the answer was not usual. He directed me to Android.com to download 2.3 and told me that 4.0 was in the works. I found this strange. I asked if this was a process approved by AT&T, he said yes. I asked him if he was putting a comment in my file that he instructed me to do this, again the answer was yes.

I am in the process of preparing my computer to do the upgrade. Has anyone else run into this? I appologize if this has already been covered. This is my first post, but I have been lurking and reading for over a year. Great site!