• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.3 hotmail active sync

coolblue2000

Nov 11, 2010
I have a Desire HD and I was having major issues with hotmail pop. I could send emails from my phone but it would not show incoming messages.... So I changed the account to use activesync instead and yippee I can now both send and receive emails (and push too!) however one really annoying issue is that if I read an email on my phone it does not sync the status to the account so each time it refreshes all my messages become unread again! also it will not sync the deleted status so all the messages I delete on my phone re-appear on refresh! if I read a mail on my hotmail account (on the pc) this change is reflected on my phone and the message is synced across as read.

What on earth have I done wrong?

I have a Desire HD and I was having major issues with hotmail pop. I could send emails from my phone but it would not show incoming messages.... So I changed the account to use activesync instead and yippee I can now both send and receive emails (and push too!) however one really annoying issue is that if I read an email on my phone it does not sync the status to the account so each time it refreshes all my messages become unread again! also it will not sync the deleted status so all the messages I delete on my phone re-appear on refresh! if I read a mail on my hotmail account (on the pc) this change is reflected on my phone and the message is synced across as read.

What on earth have I done wrong?

I had the same problem and flagged it to HTC. this was the response:

"When you have set up the hotmail account using the mail app , which option did you choose ? Exchange active sync or POP3/Imap?

Either way please could you remove the account and re-add the account making sure you set it up as a Pop3. The exchange active sync is meant only for Outlook accounts."

Seems slightly pointless that it only works with outlook accounts, but there you go!

Upvote 0
I had the same problem and flagged it to HTC. this was the response:

"When you have set up the hotmail account using the mail app , which option did you choose ? Exchange active sync or POP3/Imap?

Either way please could you remove the account and re-add the account making sure you set it up as a Pop3. The exchange active sync is meant only for Outlook accounts."

Seems slightly pointless that it only works with outlook accounts, but there you go!

I have done this and also tried deleting the account, taking the battery out and then re-adding the account but still no luck. When set up as pop I can send but not receive emails (although the odd blank email comes through with both blank subject and body). When I set up as activsync I get my emails but it will not sync the deleted or read emails so each time it pushes I get my deleted mails back and also all my read emails turn back to unread.

I have contacted HTC and they have confirmed that it is a known issue with the 2.3 update they rolled out and their developers are looking into it. However there is no ETA and no promise it will ever actually be fixed. To be honest I want rid of it and I will get a Samsung or Motorola as they aparently work fine (it is an issue with the HTC mail app).

Using POP is not ideal as it is not push and it does not have the same capabilities as activsync. I am used to my blackberry getting the mails delivered instantly so I was not particularly happy with the lack of push mail and was obviously happy to see it included in the 2.3 release. However it seems my optimism was short lived...... It is not good enough as My blackberry and my friends iphones all handle hotmail push fine, and as I said apparently so do other makes of android phones. As I use the phone for business, email is very important to me.

It does seem though that if they do not fix it I may be stuck with this steaming turd for the next 18months! Carphone warehouse say they will not replace it as it is a software fault as do HTC and Vodafone. My only hope is that my insurance will understand that with smartphones the software is as important as the hardware so if it is broke it is faulty.....

Upvote 0
I'm running Hotmail (hotmail.com) on POP with no apparent issues.

For comparison, here's a list of my settings for incoming and outgoing mail:

Incoming

POP server: POP3.live.com
Security type: SSL
Server port: 995

Outgoing

SMTP server: smtp.live.com
Security type: TLS
Server port: 587

Exactly the settings I have when I set up as POP.

Upvote 0
Perhaps your best bet is to try K-9 Mail as has been suggested above?

I just had a play with hotmail & active sync again, it goes on a continuous loop, read emails become unread etc... They do send, but that's no use.

I do feel your frustration!

I have tried Maildroid but this does not support push mail for hotmail. does K-9?

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I have an HTC Desire S and I think I have found a solution for the HTC Mail app

In order for the HTC Desire S to sync I have changed the settings;

General Settings

Ask before deleting ON

Refresh on open OFF

Receive Settings

Download past mail 1 DAY

That is all.

Don't use hotmail, but this appears to be an issue across a few Android devices so thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones