1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

2.3 is Available?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Pengwinn, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Pengwinn

Pengwinn Member

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bsweetness

bsweetness Android Enthusiast

Yeah, it was released in December, which is why everyone has been anxiously awaiting updates for their devices...

3. Pengwinn

Pengwinn Member

Say whaaaaa? Released in December? or Finished in December?

Any links to source on this one?

4. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Android Expert

you're joking right?
    Not to be mean or rude, but where have you been?

5. knallmeannn

knallmeannn Newbie

Will this be an OTA update?

6. knallmeannn

knallmeannn Newbie

Internet tough guy?

7. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

8. Pengwinn

Pengwinn Member

Sorry not joking! I guess I haven't done my research

9. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Android Expert

the source code was released to OEMS. Now we have to to wait for them to do their crap and send it our way. Only the Nexus S has it officially

J/W you do know that 3.0 Honeycomb is almost out right? And about the XOOM tablet? and the new dual core phones like Atrix and Bionic?

10. Luciferrex

Luciferrex Newbie

At least motorola updates their phones, unlike a certain Canadian brand smart phone company, who shall remain nameless..........

11. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Android Expert

ZobarMike and Pengwinn like this.
  12. Pengwinn

Pengwinn Member

Not sure if this is intended as insult.. Text can be so cold its hard to distinguish emotion..

Yes I have seen the duel core phones both atrix and Bionic, I have heard of the XOOM, and why is 3.0 almost out when people are still waiting on 2.3??

13. cbaty08

cbaty08 Member

14. WTF

WTF Well-Known Member

Just to clarify for anyone who is not sure what the OP is asking:

2.3 was released from Google to developers and phone manufacturers (i.e. Moto, HTC, Samsung, etc) back in December. However this does not mean that we as an end user can click on a link somewhere in cyberspace and update our phones with Gingerbread 2.3.

What needs to happen now is the phone manufacturers have to incorporate 2.3 individually into each of their phone platforms that they decide will get it. This can take some time since there is usually a skin such as Motoblur, Sense, etc. that then needs to be tested and debugged on top of 2.3 - the exception here would be Google's Nexus One and S.

The only phone right now that has GB 2.3 is the Nexus S, with the Nexus One next most likely. Unfortunately the rest of us will need to wait until Moto sends us their tested and operational (hopefully) OTA update of 2.3 before we can use it on our DX's. On the good side, the Droid X being one of the top/premier phones probably WILL see the update sometime in the next few months (my opinion, YMMV).

In the mean time Google has been advertising Gingerbread such as in the link in the OP post above for PR and such. Again this doesn't mean we can get 2.3 for our individual phones yet, just that the final "vanilla" version of 2.3 has been made available to developers and hardware manufacturers.

At least, that's my take :D
    Hope it helps

BTW, I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable folks out there who can provide more and better info than what I've posted here (just taking a stab at it...)

realfutbol, Kellter, Martimus and 3 others like this.
  15. Pengwinn

Pengwinn Member

Thank you good sir ^ that was greatly appreciated..

16. Steven58

OP: There are no tough guys. Our zero tolerance policy REQUIRES us to be welcoming and kind (understanding) to newbies, which we all were at one time. :) We warmly welcome you and your questions. Thanks for being here!

mcoomer, Pengwinn and Mr_Alexander like this.
  17. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA)

Lets all just take a deep breath and relax. No need for arguing. Were all mature adults so lets act like it!

[Posts involved in bickering removed; please don't make me come back :eek::mad:]

18. Coolguy71261

Coolguy71261 Android Enthusiast

any udates on p3's work

19. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert

Honeycomb was built specifically for Tablets....that is whey people are waiting for 2.3 still....it is the latest OS built for phones.

the following is just what i have heard, some of it is true, some of it is just what i am expecting to happen.

android 2.4 (ice cream sandwich), which some say is basically honeycomb designed to work on a phone and not a tablet, is being worked on right now and will probably be released around July/August....at which time the droid X will probably be getting android 2.3

Pengwinn likes this.
  20. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

I have 2.3 on my phone now. Well, the system version anyway. Of course the Android version is 2.2 however.

I think this throws a bit of confusion in the argument for newbies and some non-newbies alike.

21. Luciferrex

Luciferrex Newbie

22. Kevin123

Kevin123 Member

Hello does anybody know when android 2.3 will be realesed for the Motorola Droid X right now I am running 2.2.1

23. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Nope, nobody knows.

It's in the works. But nobody has release information.

24. bbuck002

bbuck002 Android Enthusiast

i did read recently that while devs were digging around in the honeycomb sdk, they found that it will support devices with smaller aspect ratios that tablets. supposedly, when honeycomb is loaded onto something with a smartphone sized aspect ratio the software automatically recalibrates to a smartphone friendly orientation. this was very crude in the code, but they said it looks like this is done so that honeycomb will possible have smartphone support.

I think i read it on android central. if I can find the post, I will give credit where it is due.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews