• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2.3 Voice search or text not working

Ambient noise is definitely the problem. I have downloaded Google voice and the problem still exists. Oddly enough Voice search was updated when 2.3 was installed. Hopefully someone can figure this out asap as I like 2.3 but not the bugs.

I went into settings, applications, running apps, did something like force stope voice, it has an option to uninstall updates for voice i didn't this time. Went back to voice text. worked two times in a row. hope its that simple. evo 4g

Upvote 0
I went into settings, applications, running apps, did something like force stope voice, it has an option to uninstall updates for voice i didn't this time. Went back to voice text. worked two times in a row. hope its that simple. evo 4g

It isnt that simple.. it worked after I tried it at home.. At some point later it reverted to broken. ARRG!

Upvote 0
I know I echo the frustration of all EVO 4G users after the Gingerbread 2.3.3 update when I say this is the single WORSE UPDATE EVER in terms of breaking things.

Google Voice Search was the single difference maker the EVO had over the iPhone (IMO). It used to work great & I would show it to my iPhone friends who were looking on with envy @ its smooth performance.

Now - broken!

Before ppl say, 'it's the app developers' fault' - in this case - Google Voice Search is a Google app! Why the left hand didn't talk to the right hand is what is wrong with big companies these days!

Checking the Android Market comments for the GCVS app shows what crap people think this app is after the 2.3.3 update.

/Rant

Upvote 0
I have seen so many proposed solutions out there and none of them work in a car moving with the AC running, even Sprint admits to that. If there was a work around that was so simple as clearing data there wouldnt be so many posts all over the web on this continuing issue. I never had this issue with Android 2.2. Sprint at least knows that it is an issue and hopefully for all of us, they issue a maintenance update very soon.

I think I will be much more hesitant to update my phone to new software versions in the future. After reading many posts on this forum over the past month about all of the issues that the update has I know i will do much more research next time.

Stay tuned. As soon as I hear about a maintenance release i will post back to the site if someone doesnt beat me to it.

Upvote 0
I can absolutely verify that voice search does not work properly on my Evo (stock, unrooted) phone after OTA update to 2.3.

Here is where it gets weird. Works fine at home, works fine in car GOING LESS THAN 25MPH! Once the car is moving more that about 25mph, the mic no longer registers voice input. I have tested it over and over and over - reset the phone, done battery pulls, everything. GPS is off, toggling on GPS does not make a difference.

How does it know???? I have no idea, but try it for yourself - I would be interested to know if anyone has the same results. This is a real deal breaker for me as I use voice to text and voice command on the road a lot.

Also, while I have not had any issue with the infamous voicemail icon getting stuck, I did notice that my wi-fi signal is not nearly as good. I have read it is because wireless N is no longer supported, but I have not been able to verify that. All I know is I do not get signal in my house in places where I used to, like my bedroom and bathroom.

Last but not least, I have noticed some 3g drop out while moving - I will be surfing and all the sudden I have no data connection and the only way to get it back is to toggle mobile data and it comes right back. Probably happened 10x yesterday on a 2 hour drive in metro area.

Right now, I am waiting for unrevoked 3.4 to come out so I can root this thing and go back to 2.2.

I have had the same problem do we have a solution yet. I was sooo pissed off. I will be getting the blueant q2 soon and i hope this will solve the problem. I thought it was just me have the same problem with driving in a car.!

Upvote 0
Here's a stupid little trick that might work, as I tried today outside (a few times with success) next to NYC traffic. And I'm surprised that no one has thought of this or mentioned it earlier. When you tap on the mic icon, cover the physical mic with your finger! The mic is so sensitive that it will still pick up your voice, but the ambient noise will be lessened significantly.

Doug

Upvote 0
If I root my Evo 4g which is running gingerbread will voice search work or will I need to go back to froyo?
Hey....I'm rooted...EVO 4G...I used ROM manager and simply went back to FROYO...installed Fresh Rom 3.5..everything works like a charm....especially voice to text....in the car with air conditioning and the radio on....I speak...it records....I use it a lot....also my battery seems to last longer on FROYO....I actually prefer it..especially the pull down icons........hey it works and will make everyone happy....

Upvote 0
hello I am new to the form,I found it while searching google trying to figure out why my talk to text did not work sinc e the gingerbread update..mine like others worked perfect untill the update then bam,crappy word recon and nothing while driving..sprints tecs were useless and i did a few factory restores..I talked with htc also..I'm happy to say yesterday I got a update and its actually fixed!!..if your phone has not reveived a update it will and it will fix it 100%..you can change your phones date to 2 weeks ahead,manually,then check for updates,it should move you ahead in the order of updates..then after the update just set the proper date..good luck everyone,remember this definatly fixed it..it gets the words proper also..

Reactions: EVU
Upvote 0
hello I am new to the form,I found it while searching google trying to figure out why my talk to text did not work sinc e the gingerbread update..mine like others worked perfect untill the update then bam,crappy word recon and nothing while driving..sprints tecs were useless and i did a few factory restores..I talked with htc also..I'm happy to say yesterday I got a update and its actually fixed!!..if your phone has not reveived a update it will and it will fix it 100%..you can change your phones date to 2 weeks ahead,manually,then check for updates,it should move you ahead in the order of updates..then after the update just set the proper date..good luck everyone,remember this definatly fixed it..it gets the words proper also..

Neat trick. Thanks!
Definitely the update fixed the VTT in moving vehicle or background noise issue.

Upvote 0
How did or where did you get the update?
I got the typical update notification screen on my Evo 4g. If you don't have it available to you in the Settings -> update screen, then you might want to research because I think I remember reading about various methods of getting the update when it hasn't been pushed to your phone yet.

My HTC Incredible was OTA updated last week (2.34) and same problem
Sucks. This is an Evo 4g thread. You might want to make a post in the Incredible section, or create a new thread.

Upvote 0
I just launched the voice search app again and it asked if I wanted to turn on "personalized recognition" and I said yes. The speech to text now works. You can find that setting under voice input in settings.

would you believe I just went without even trying to fix this until now?
I can't believe toggling that option worked for me.
I wasn't even getting noise to show up on the microphone on screen until I enabled that. Turned it off and it still works.
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff that was ridiculous

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones