• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2 articles on Linux

Thanks for the walk down memory lane! I began using Linux in 2001 and loved it so much that it became my sole operating system in just a few short months. I began using Ubuntu when version 5.04 was released (2005). I was so impressed with Dapper Drake (Ubuntu 6.06, the first LTS release) that I refused to upgrade for several releases. I switched to Mint when Ubuntu switched to Unity, I never liked Unity, and have been with Mint ever since.

That Linux history slideshow is great :)

Upvote 0
Look how far it's come since the beginning!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane! I began using Linux in 2001 and loved it so much that it became my sole operating system in just a few short months. I began using Ubuntu when version 5.04 was released (2005). I was so impressed with Dapper Drake (Ubuntu 6.06, the first LTS release) that I refused to upgrade for several releases. I switched to Mint when Ubuntu switched to Unity, I never liked Unity, and have been with Mint ever since.

I don't really have much of an issue with Unity but I do have an issue with them integrating web search. If I wanted to search the interwebs, I would open a web browser! I have used Ubuntu in the past (off and on) but have since moved to using ArchLinux (usually a dual boot with Win8 but currently in a VM)

Upvote 0
The Hurd has been "some way from being ready for daily use" for longer than many college graduates have been alive. :boring:

Here's a real history lesson! We used AST's book as our textbook in my first advanced OS course in college, and I've used "MINIX & a modem" to get old 8086 computers on the Internet countless times with a full suite of IP applications. Since Linux was born out of Linus' dissatisfaction with MINIX, it's far more important in Linux history than any other OS. It's Linux that saved GNU from obscurity, not the other way around.

Upvote 0

I just switched to Mint for the same reason. If I can't stand Google everything, why would I want Ubuntu/Amazon everything?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones