• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2 battery issues... is the phone defective?

Integraoligist

Nov 7, 2010
Ok, I just got theEvo last Tuesday and it's been working perfectly except for these 2 issues.

2 days ago I was using the Google Navigation (and when I do this I always have it plugged into the car charger)... well apparently it uses more juice then it receives from the charger! Have never seen this problem in any other of my smartphones. So, while it's plugged in and i'm using GPS, the battery is die'n. WTF is going on?

Lastnight I charged the V to 100%.... took it off charge, and turned the phone off. So that when I wake in the morning to go to work it's still at 100%. Well I get up today and try turning it on and... nothing. Wont turn on. I can see a very very dim red light flashing so I plugged it into the charger again and tried turning it on.... and now the red light is bright and blinking at me. About 20 seconds later the red light stays solid (like it's charging normally). 5 minutes later I can turn the phone on, I unplug it to check the battery, and it says it's almost 1/2 full.

What is going on here?
Thanks all!

Ok, I just got theEvo last Tuesday and it's been working perfectly except for these 2 issues.

2 days ago I was using the Google Navigation (and when I do this I always have it plugged into the car charger)... well apparently it uses more juice then it receives from the charger! Have never seen this problem in any other of my smartphones. So, while it's plugged in and i'm using GPS, the battery is die'n. WTF is going on?

Lastnight I charged the V to 100%.... took it off charge, and turned the phone off. So that when I wake in the morning to go to work it's still at 100%. Well I get up today and try turning it on and... nothing. Wont turn on. I can see a very very dim red light flashing so I plugged it into the charger again and tried turning it on.... and now the red light is bright and blinking at me. About 20 seconds later the red light stays solid (like it's charging normally). 5 minutes later I can turn the phone on, I unplug it to check the battery, and it says it's almost 1/2 full.

What is going on here?
Thanks all!
the LG Esteem Is the same way Using GPS ... You Need the car Dock Mount That Bring the Charger i Be leave it puts more AmPS out .. .. Now For The Battery I would Do the Wedge the left side of the battery so its pressing up on the pins firm and see if that fix you battery problem .. I Used So Tape Others here have used BIS Card or a No good Credit card cut a small piece and wedge it in the left rear side of the battery .

Upvote 0
I had the same warning message when playing a 3D game on it with a 450ma charger plugged in. Also, with the same charger plugged in over night it actually drained the battery faster than if the phone was just left not on charge.

My guess is it may be to do with the voltage output of the charger. If it's below some threshold then at's actually a lower voltage than what the phone is at so the current flows the wrong way.

The fix is to get a decent more powerful charger which will have a slightly higher voltage output.

Upvote 0
My car charger is 5 volt, 1000 mA output.... i would assume the home charger with USB cord that came with the phone is the same... right?

Yeah that's the same for the house one.. but if its a ebay china or them hole in the wall cell phone shops that sell the ebay china ones im sure they don't put that out the same mA.. but every brand is different i would stick with the HTC brand

Upvote 0
Check the resistance between the two data pins for your car charger. Chances are it's open, so you'll be restricted to 300mA charge rates.

You can mod the charger and short the pins out, which should get you around 500-700mA. Or I believe if you figure out the resistance of the oem wall charger and get an appropriate resistance, you can see around 900mA. There may be a way to enable usb fast charge mode as well, but I believe it'd be a per boot setting unless you execute it in init.d.

Get Battery Monitor Widget to track how much current the phone draws from your car charger.

Upvote 0
Now For The Battery I would Do the Wedge the left side of the battery so its pressing up on the pins firm and see if that fix you battery problem .. I Used So Tape Others here have used BIS Card or a No good Credit card cut a small piece and wedge it in the left rear side of the battery .

Now when you say the Left side Bottom, do you have the phone flipped over and are you looking at the battery with the camera lenses pointing north?
Cause the battery pins are on the right side if your looking at it like that. I dont have a camera on me (expect for the phone which i cant take a picture of itself) otherwise i'd post a shot.

Upvote 0
Now when you say the Left side Bottom, do you have the phone flipped over and are you looking at the battery with the camera lenses pointing north?
Cause the battery pins are on the right side if your looking at it like that. I dont have a camera on me (expect for the phone which i cant take a picture of itself) otherwise i'd post a shot.

yes... the left side of the battery right below the sd card slot side of the phone .. for some reason the last 2 pins where have problems making contact to the battery ..

Upvote 0
yes... the left side of the battery right below the sd card slot side of the phone .. for some reason the last 2 pins where have problems making contact to the battery ..

So the bottom left side of the battery, so the wedge would push the battery up higher towards the SD card?

I checked the pins, they all see to be retracting just fine. Interesting.

Upvote 0
That's the one I've been using again. Not so bad on the HTC Sensation. Completely unacceptable on the Intercept. Really for the most part, I test with battery monitoring programs like bmw and bbs, but once I have everything figured out, I drop them, especially since you can use Leedroid Tweaks to show battery percentage in the stock battery location. Should work for the evo v too.

Upvote 0
So the bottom left side of the battery, so the wedge would push the battery up higher towards the SD card?

I checked the pins, they all see to be retracting just fine. Interesting.

Yes the back corner ... And yes it does look like it makes good contact but there have been some people like me that have run it to this problem, mine on day 2 of having the phone...But i have not had that problem again since doing that .and others as well . I hope that works for you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones