• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2 months with the Vibrant - I think I'm done

YMark

Aug 1, 2010
Phoenix
Two months ago, I gave up my Blackberry for the Vibrant. I really wanted to like this new platform, but it is still a long way from mature.

- The Android platform shines when it comes to apps. No complaints there.
- Swype is awesome. I never thought I would like a touch screen, but SWYPE makes typing on a touch screen easy.
- Vibrant screen is amazing

Reasons I'm heading back to a Blackberry:
- The Vibrant battery life flat out sucks. Even shutting down battery intensive tasks doesn't give me a full day. This is a deal killer.
- While typing on the touch screen is a breeze, I spend half the day cleaning the screen. A real smear magnet.
- Mail on the Android is nowhere near prime time. K9 sucks as well. I don't care what anyone says, mail on Android can't hold a candle to RIM.
- On the other hand, browsing the web on a BB can't hold a candle to Android. Mail is far more important for me.
- Syncing with Outlook is a bigger pain than it is worth.
- Google Calendar is a joke. A high school programming project gone bad.

I have a couple more weeks until TMO gets the new BB. Maybe my mind will change. This is the shortest time I've ever owned a phone. I just wish I could learn to like this.

I agree about the battery. If I consistently had plans into the evening I would be more annoyed about it, but I usually have plenty of time to charge my phone during the day.

Keep in mind that the calendar app on the Vibrant is Samsung specific, it's not the standard Google one. However, I actually prefer this one to Google's. Why go back to Blackberry instead of a different Android device, perhaps one with a keyboard and better battery life? I agree that the BB is better with email, but beyond that I'm not sure what else can be said...

Upvote 0
While I understand the smear magnet/mail issues, the battery life is something that varies greatly based on your situation. My Vibrant lasts through the day just fine.

Even shutting down battery intensive tasks doesn't give me a full day.

Shutting down tasks could be making it worse. If you're constantly killing tasks, especially ones that need to be open or are re-opened by yourself constantly, you might be wasting more battery than you think you're saving. Just because an app is "memory-intensive," does not mean it's wasting battery. It's just data stored in memory, ready to be accessed when needed. By killing whatever it is, say Contacts, whenever you go to call somebody again, Contacts is gonna have to re-open, reload, re-build it's cache, etc. That kills your battery.

Other factors include:

• Dead zones. If you spend most of your day in a dead zone or place with otherwise shoddy signal strength, that could very well eat up your battery quicker than ever, simply because the phone is constantly searching for a better signal. If you're gonna have zero signal anyway, just put it in flight mode.
  • Brightness. I always leave my brightness at the lowest setting while I'm indoors, and when I step out, just enough so I can see what I'm doing. Swiping left and right on the notification bar is extremely convinient in this case.
  • Sync. Frequent social network syncing (Facebook/Twitter/MySpace), any weather/news/whatever widget syncing, etc. Lower the update frequencies!
  • Wireless connections. Turn off bluetooth, GPS, and WiFi when not in use! What good is GPS and bluetooth being on when you're not using them?

I guess if you feel the battery life just doesn't hold, even when going to drastic measures and disabling everything, then it could possibly be your physical battery that's wonky. But I (and I'm sure many others) can tell you that the Vibrant's battery life is overall pretty good for a smartphone of it's caliber.

And really? You think the calendar is that bad? If anything, it's Samsung's fault because it's their UI, but it works just fine for my purposes.

Regardless, I'm sorry to see you go. As they say, to each his own!

Upvote 0
Wow, many other phones id go to before a Blackberry. The Torch looks cool though and the only one id consider but id never switch to AT&T to get it.

There aren't really many platforms available in the US. Windows over BB? Hell NO.
iPhone over BB? Na.
Symbian over BB? Dunno, Symbian choices are lacking in the States.

When it comes down to it, and you need a seriously dependable phone, long lasting battery, with extreme security, corporate choices, and untouchable email, then you choose a BB. They do still hold the majority of the market. I think BB is excellent, however most people don't need all the stuff I just listed. Many people want to "cool" factor, and BB just doesn't offer that. That is why I think BB will be history in the next 10-15 yrs, unless they bring the cool factor to their platform.

I just wish Android was a bit more refined, and hopefully 2.3 and beyond will provide that quality.

Upvote 0
I actually disagree with your conclusion(mainly bc im bias and love my Vibrant.) But even with that said Their are other Android phones and whatnot to try before you go back to BlackBerry...I mean I understand going back to what you know, but to be honest about 3 or so months ago I didn't even know what an Android was.

Upvote 0
I understand what you mean Ymark, I guess another factor is that your just used to certain things your not getting with the Vibrant, ie email, battery, calendar etc. It sounds like your a pretty heavy email user and in your case BB is definately the way to go. the blackberry has just over half the screen size of a Vibrant yet has the same battery size. Ive no issues with emails and my calendar but again thats a matter of choice. Im sorry you dont like it because I love my Galaxy S but hey from a heavy business users perspective I can see where your coming from.

Upvote 0
Bottom line, smartphones are NOT for everyone. Some people just need a phone to make callls and maybe text. The main reason for all these complaints are that carrier reps are talking less than savvy users into buying smartphones when they really don't need them.

Truth.^^^

Some will move along and learn their device and all it has to offer, over time such as what the OP says and ask questions, and some will just plug along, never really knowing what they have and what it's capabilities are (or not caring), but they'll keep it because it's "cool." ;)

Upvote 0
I thanks those in this thread that actually made positive suggestions on how the original poster can improve the battery life. Those that just say things like "Don't let the door hit you on your way out" should be banned. These forums are for SUPPORT, ok? We are here to help each other.

My evaluation of the Android is that it is a highly sophisticated operating system with fatal flaws. I still use it....and i love this phone for it's bright and colored graphics. But, why do we have two separate email interfaces? One for Gmail and one for all our other pop3 email accounts? I have to check each separate email (especially on the gmail interface, as i have 3 gmail accounts). At least the 'regular' pop3 email icon has a 'combined' email interface.
I like the improvement interface with Picasa on the web. All my Picasa albums on the web are now shown immediately when I go to my 'Gallery'.

i'm not obsessed with social networks so i don't have yahoo messenger, facebook, or aim mobile 'active' on my phone.

Calendar. The native Android Calendar on the phone is pretty bad. i use Calendar Pad, which enables you to customize which calendar 'view' you want on your phone. It is free.

Hope this helps or provides at least another point of view

Reactions: Hurracayne_dre
Upvote 0
There aren't really many platforms available in the US. Windows over BB? Hell NO.
iPhone over BB? Na.

Id go back to an iPhone in a NY minute before id go to Blackberry. BB is ok but for my experience the iPhone was much, much better and just offered more and mine was a 2G. I had a BB Pearl and it was ok but i had that the shortest of any phone ive ever had. Think it was only 2 months. Went to iPhone from there an i cant go back to a BB. Just dont offer enough. Im fine with the email on the Vibrant and iPhone and BB ofers hardly anything as far as apps.

Id even consider the window 7 but of course id have to try it out which i havent done.

I just wish Android was a bit more refined, and hopefully 2.3 and beyond will provide that quality.

Agree. I really like the Android platform and it is only going to get better but this might be my last Samsung. Love the screen but they are just behind the ball with updates and getting it right out of the box. Cant imagine how long it will take to get Gingerbread when everyone else already has it and that will drive me to dump the Vibrant for another. GB will be a huge difference and i wont be so patient waiting for that.

Upvote 0
- The Vibrant battery life flat out sucks. Even shutting down battery intensive tasks doesn't give me a full day. This is a deal killer.

Agreed that I do miss the battery life of my Curve, but I do use my Android more than I used my Curve so that might be the reason why. There are some tips on the forum for improving battery life if you look.

- While typing on the touch screen is a breeze, I spend half the day cleaning the screen. A real smear magnet.

I haven't used my Vibrant without a screen protector but I installed the Realook first and agree, it was a magnet for fingerprints (can't compare it to a naked screen though), took off the Realook because of problems I had with it and installed a Steinheil Crystal Clear protector and some fingerprints still show but nowhere near as much as Realook.

- Mail on the Android is nowhere near prime time. K9 sucks as well. I don't care what anyone says, mail on Android can't hold a candle to RIM.

- On the other hand, browsing the web on a BB can't hold a candle to Android. Mail is far more important for me.

No idea as I just sync Gmail and it works fine for me.

Don't use outlook so I have no idea.

I actually just started messing with Google Calendar today (syncing with my phone) and it seems ok, I'm sure there are better programs on the market to suit your needs though.

I forked over the $15 (incredibly overpriced) for the screen protector. It helps with the smear issue. Still highway robbery, $15 for 2 pieces of flimsy plastic.

You could have bought screen protectors from ebay for $5 (5 pack) and they work just as well as the ones you bought for $15, however the only difference I saw was that it has a rainbow effect if you look at it from certain angles.

Upvote 0
OP, do what I do.

I own an iPhone 4, Samsung Vibrant (unlocked by tmobile), and Tmobile branded BB Bold 9700 (also unlocked)

Just carry 2 phones with you. I love blackberry for text and email and love UMA.

So I usually carry either the iPhone 4 or Samsung Vibrant with AT&T sim. I still get 3G with AT&T on my Vibrant cause if the 1900 wcdma. And I usually carry the Bold 9700 M-F on with my tmobile SIm.

Problems solved!

Honestly what I do is pretty costly but there us no perfect smartphone and that's why I use all 3 of my smartphones. I get the best of all worlds. And I used to own a Nokia e71 but sold that recently.

Upvote 0
OP, do what I do.

I own an iPhone 4, Samsung Vibrant (unlocked by tmobile), and Tmobile branded BB Bold 9700 (also unlocked)

Just carry 2 phones with you. I love blackberry for text and email and love UMA.

So I usually carry either the iPhone 4 or Samsung Vibrant with AT&T sim. I still get 3G with AT&T on my Vibrant cause if the 1900 wcdma. And I usually carry the Bold 9700 M-F on with my tmobile SIm.

Problems solved!

Honestly what I do is pretty costly but there us no perfect smartphone and that's why I use all 3 of my smartphones. I get the best of all worlds. And I used to own a Nokia e71 but sold that recently.

I know some guys have two phones. Some have a work phone and their own and some just have two phones. I like just carrying one and just deal with what it has. Not knocking anyone but to carry another phone just because you like its email better to me is a head scratcher. Just isnt that critical to me.

Upvote 0
A little off topic, but it's regarding battery life. Is it just the Galaxy S series that sucks with battery life, or is it all 1ghz high end smart phones? I had a myTouch and had no problem with battery life even with heavy usage with apps and such, and similar usage on my Vibrant will cut me short from a full days use.

I had the G2 and the battery life was damn good.

The droid X (for the 3 days i had one before i returned it and canceled verizon) Had some decent batterylife too.

Upvote 0
only thing that really bugs me is battery life.

its NECESSARY for me to carry a charging cable wherever I go, so I can plug it into a PC or laptop whenever i have downtime. i have my facebook/myspace synced on it, and keep GPS active to utilize the lookout app.
play a few games occasionally.

at MOST... i can get through 6hrs on a single charge

Upvote 0
Two months ago, I gave up my Blackberry for the Vibrant. I really wanted to like this new platform, but it is still a long way from mature.

- Swype is awesome. I never thought I would like a touch screen, but SWYPE makes typing on a touch screen easy.

I have a couple more weeks until TMO gets the new BB. Maybe my mind will change. This is the shortest time I've ever owned a phone. I just wish I could learn to like this.
Why tell us?

Upvote 0

Mark,
Sorry I'm late to the party but consider this...
-The battery life sucks, won't deny it, however I found that if I limit my constant playing around with it, dim the screen, keep WiFi -bluetooth - GPS off when I'm not using it, I'm in much better shape. Also, live wallpaper KILLS the battery something awful even if it's dark.

-There are some decent non obtrusive screen covers out there for the Vibrant. I don't recommend the one T-mobile sells because it distorts the screen, but there are some clear non sticky smudge proof protectors out there. Check out Best Buy.

-Use MailDroid, don't know why Google hasn't taken this idea yet.

-This is going to sound silly, but anything outside of a Windows mobile phone is going to make Outlook syncing more trouble than it's worth. BB is good, but I've seen better. Try MyPhoneExplorer, I used it briefly when I was transitioning away from Outlook to keep my stuff organized and it worked better than I thought.

-Google Calendar on the phone yes, on the PC - well - that's why I don't use Outlook anymore. In any event sync the phone with either Outlook using that program I mentioned above or abandon Outlook altogether and go with Google. (Joke)

All that said, I think one of the coolest things about the Android platform and it's phones is that Google Android has made the smartphone cosmopolitan. Now everybody can get something out of it if they need a smartphone or not. Granted Apple made it fun to have, Android is making it accessible. The decision to give up a phone should be based more on the functionality of the device and how it suits you assuming that you can't find an app for that.

Either way you decide to go, if you haven't made your decision already, good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones