• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2 Practical steps to improve DROID battery life- 20-50%

Most things i read about improving battery life on the DROID aren't practical or immediate or they are thing we've all heard, "reduce your screen brightness". If i hear that statement again i may scream.

HOW TO IMPROVE BATTERY IN 2 STEPS
1. Buy a watch: the DROID is so fun to use that i'm always watching youtube, searching/ browsing, texting, oh yeah and eventually checking email so much extra drain comes from using your phone like a watch-
ITS NOT A WATCH SO BUY ONE- only use your droid for time if it's plugged in.

2. Reduce your screen timeout to 1-2 mins- this has an amazing effect- it turns the thing off so the screen is only on while you're using it..Duh!!!! some things make so much sense we overlook them.
HOW TO REDUCE SCREEN TIMEOUT
settings>sounds and display>screen timeout

1 min is best but 2 is ok and should be your highest
if it's at 10 or 30 mins you're in trouble

btw, i recently realized that i waste a lot of time searching.
we all know ASTRO should have come with the phone well the app POWER SEARCH has the same strength. It's helped me cut down on my wasted searching time.

Good point about the time.

As for the screen timeout - you could also get Screebl (from the Market). This is a little app that keeps the screen on as long as the phone is being held in an "I'm using the phone right now" position (that you configure personally). This lets you set the screen timeout to something aggressively low, like 15 seconds, whenever the phone is in an "I'm not using it" position.

For example, I have mine set to stay on when the phone is being held at anywhere from 15 to 90 degrees (almost flat, to upright), because this is the position my phone is (almost) always in when I'm actively using it, and it's usually lying flat when I'm not using it. So, if I forget to turn off the screen and set it down, it goes off within 15 seconds.

Pretty neat little app, I think. Here's a video from the Screebl developer:

YouTube - Screebl Overview

Upvote 0
That looks like a cool app, but I don't think it'll benefit me any. I like to browse my phone when I'm at the dinner table sometimes so it's laying flat while I'm browsing it, same thing when I'm at work and it's laying right in front of me on my desk, I usually just use it where it lays. So there's no real dead spot for me since I use the phone in all positions.

Plus I've also got a good habit of manually turning the screen off every time I sit it down or put it in my pocket/holster.

Upvote 0
This. The reason I don't wear a watch (besides tan lines) is because I have a phone.
You can use a CD as a coaster but that doesn't mean THAT'S it's purpose.
hahaha- just kidding.

before my droid i had several multimedia phones.
The watch thing is not an issue on those devices but if battery preserving is your goal, it''s not worth it.

since the screen timeout and watch evolution i charge my phone less.
I noodle a lot so instead of my 5 charges a day i'm down to 2.

once at work
once at night- during sleep.

Upvote 0
Turn device on... check time... screen is on for 4 seconds (when locked)... check the time 100 times each day equals 7 minutes of screen on time...

So 7 minutes of screen on time will save me 20% of my battery?

That's what I was thinking!

I was excited that there was going to be some great revelation in this thread, but alas, not for me. Hopefully it does indeed help someone else though.

Checking the time won't affect it much like stated above. Plus I wear a watch most of the time already, but I still use my phone sometimes to check the time.

Also, a short screen timeout to save battery is kind of common sense to me. I've never used a timeout longer than a minute and currently have mine set to 30 seconds I believe. Different strokes for different folks though I guess.

Regards,
Nick

Upvote 0
Everyone who is griping about battery life needs to realize that you're not holding a cell phone in your hands. It's a tiny computer. It has a cpu, gpu, memory, storage, and monitor. These aren't the dumb phones of yesteryear. They are highly advance pieces of electronic equipment (hence the reason they cost $500-700 unsubsidized).

Having that tiny computer on all day takes juice. I have no problem at all with my Droid lasting a full day's worth of medium usage with all the radios on. Just be smart, and realize that if you use your Droid to watch videos on YT all day long, or stream Pandora while navigating your way to the local lunch spot, it takes a lot of juice.

In other words and no disrespect to those with Incredibles and Eris', just be glad you aren't having quite the battery problem those folks are having.

Upvote 0
Good point about the time.

As for the screen timeout - you could also get Screebl (from the Market). This is a little app that keeps the screen on as long as the phone is being held in an "I'm using the phone right now" position (that you configure personally). This lets you set the screen timeout to something aggressively low, like 15 seconds, whenever the phone is in an "I'm not using it" position.

sweet.. this app is sweet. this app is better than the whole point of this thread and the most valuable piece of data in here.

this totally solves an issue that has been driving me nuts. that fine line between the screen shutting off by having a short timeout screen - 30 seconds for me - but your using the phone but not technically interacting with it so it cannot tell your still using it.

1 example.. VZW VVM app will get cut off if your listening to a VVM that is longer than 30 seconds if your timeout is set to 30 seconds. now, with this app, it can sense I am using/holding the phone & listening via the speaker phone, and keep the timeout on as long as the VVM is and I stop using the phone. THEN it timesout.

and, the cool little icon turns red when it is now into timeout mode to let you see it knows your not interacting with it anymore and has kicked in the timeout and shut down is imminent, but stays green to show your in your "angle" and it considers the phone in use so will stay on.

Upvote 0
Then you should have made that number 1... not Get a watch

saying the order matters is like saying that when you get dressed you have to put on your pants before your shirt.

huh?

i made a statement with 2 components and the order doesn't magnify the importance of either.

on a funny note- why are people responding like i said get a mexican gardener to do your lawn!

i just said buy a watch.

Upvote 0
on a funny note- why are people responding like i said get a mexican gardener to do your lawn!

a) why is that funny?
b) what does that have to do with this?

People are simply saying that having a phone makes wearing a watch obsolete in their opinions ... you're arguing that wearing a watch will improve battery life (most likely slightly which is what the fuss is over) by not having to turn your screen on ... the simple fact of the matter is, that when you turn your screen on to check the time, there is a lock button on top - so you can press that, see the time without unlocking your phone, and press the lock button again and the screen goes blank, so you really only had the screen on for 2 or 3 seconds tops.

Reactions: superdorf
Upvote 0
:thinking:
I guess I'm the only one here that thinks it's more convenient to look at my wrist than to have to take something out of my pocket and press a button.

Not the only one. I'm with you 100%.

And I'm so totally geeked out, my watch is a Datalink USB, so it has two backwards timers, a stopwatch, 200 contacts' phone numbers, a calendar, and 8 alarms on it... all without taking anything out of my pocket.

Upvote 0

And I'm so totally geeked out, my watch is a Datalink USB, so it has two backwards timers, a stopwatch, 200 contacts' phone numbers, a calendar, and 8 alarms on it... all without taking anything out of my pocket.

Oh yeah, well mine has an E6B flight computer on it!

That's not actually as impressive as it sounds lol :p

Upvote 0

I have a soft spot for analog watches. Though if I had a digital watch, it'd probably be a binary one. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones