1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root 2 problems....Gapps and Restore

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lostdog54, Jul 28, 2011.

1. lostdog54

lostdog54 Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Ok, so I'll just lay it all out. I recently decided to Root...went well, and all worked fine. Then I decided I'd try CM7, since I'd heard it was great. So I performed a backup and it created a folder which basically just had the date for the name. I put that on my laptop in case I needed it.

Next, Installed CM7. Worked fine but I realized too late I need to do Gapps as well. So I found the needed file and wiped everything and did it again, this time putting in Gapps too. Now, when i boot up, i get to my home screen just fine, and the Market Icon is sitting there where it's supposed to, but when i tap it it will quickly bring up a white screen then close it and go back to the home screen. Wiped and re-installed a ton of times, nothing is working.

Second, I got frustrated by the whole process so I decided to restore. Put that folder which was named as the date on my SD card. Now when I go to restore, it says No Files Found or something like that.

I could really use some help. This phone is borderline useless to me the way it is now.

Advertisement

2. cabraswell

cabraswell Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    Male
    Biomedical Technician
    Western NC
    Did you put the folder back in the clockworkmod/backup folder? If not I doubt it'll find it as I assume that's where it looks for it when you go to restore.

3. lostdog54

lostdog54 Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011

Ok, I moved the folder back to the right spot and at least it found it. But now it's saying "MD5 mismatch!"

I'm guessing that can't be good. Btw, thanks for the help

4. cabraswell

None

Jun 24, 2010
    Male
    Biomedical Technician
    Western NC
    Did you rename the file at all? If it has spaces in the name the MD5 won't match. If you did you can try renaming it again with no spaces. If that doesn't work you can set it back to stock and start over ;)

5. lostdog54

lostdog54 Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011

No, didn't rename it at all. Ugh.

How do I reset it back to stock?

Man, apparently I'm not cut out for all this. Something to remember in teh future, lol.

6. cabraswell

None

Jun 24, 2010
    Male
    Biomedical Technician
    Western NC
    Use the instructions found in this thread to set your phone back to stock 2.2.

If you're feeling up to it you may want to try again once your back to stock. Once you've flashed CM7 you can immediately flash Gapps but if you forget you can reboot back into recovery and flash it without wiping or having to reinstall CM7. Just FYI.

Sorry for the slow response. I'm at work and a coworker was hogging the PC =D

7. lostdog54

lostdog54 Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    That's where my original issue started. Can't for the life of me get Gapps to work. It says it worked successfully, but then i go to the Market and like I said it just flashes a quick window like it's trying to start but then goes back to home screen.

I guess I'll go back to stock and start over.

Thanks

8. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #
    None

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    I think the Nandroid restore failed b/c the Froyo rom may have used older scripting whereas Clockwork 3.0+ (assuming that's what you're using) uses a newer scripting to comply with Gingerbread. It'd probably restore if you used an older version of Clockwork.

As for the Gapps, where did you get it from? I'm guessing you got a bad version, incomplete download etc, did you check MD5? I'd chalk that up as a fluke, check for the newest version on the Cyanogen website, and start verifying MD5's if you aren't already.

9. lostdog54

lostdog54 Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Probably a dumb question and I'm sure I could find out by checking around....but since you mentioned it how do I verify MD5?

10. cabraswell

None

Jun 24, 2010
    Male
    Biomedical Technician
    Western NC
    I use the Hash Droid App on my phone to verify MD5's. You can download the latest Gapps from the Rom Manager app as well (thats where I got mine).

11. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #
    None

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    I use the md5 calculator here for use on the PC:
    Download from Bullzip.com

Once installed, right click on any zip to use the tool. I sideload my roms from the PC b/c my download speeds are so much faster so I like having a calculator there too.

12. cabraswell

None

Jun 24, 2010
    Male
    Biomedical Technician
    Western NC
    I should have already gotten one for the PC as well since I do most of my downloading there too.