• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2 Questions with Froyo...Yahoo and Swype

alison03

Android Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2010
Yeah yeah...a bit late but I finally did the OTA to 2.2 and then the update to that. I held off for so long because of all the problems I heard about about and lo and behold...I have some now too that I didn't have before. If anyone could shed some light that would be great!

First, the Swype problem. I remember reading about issues with Swpye/Froyo before and so I uninstalled everything and rebooted, and reinstalled. Swype worked fine. Then when I bump charged and turned my phone off/on, Swype no longer worked. I tried and the blue box around the letters just flashed. Now it sometimes Swypes fine and sometimes flashes at me with no rhyme or reason. Thoughts?

Also as of this morning, my Yahoo mail account seems to be acting up. Gmail account is fine, it's just this one. I only have the standard "mail" app and basically it doesn't alert me to new messages like before. I have to open the mail app, hit menu, and then refresh and then it finds all my new messages. It was having problems sending out mail off and on yesterday, but doesn't seem to be having that issue so far today. I don't know if that's related but figured more info is better than less! :)

Any help with this would be awesome. Thanks!

Yeah yeah...a bit late but I finally did the OTA to 2.2 and then the update to that. I held off for so long because of all the problems I heard about about and lo and behold...I have some now too that I didn't have before. If anyone could shed some light that would be great!

First, the Swype problem. I remember reading about issues with Swpye/Froyo before and so I uninstalled everything and rebooted, and reinstalled. Swype worked fine. Then when I bump charged and turned my phone off/on, Swype no longer worked. I tried and the blue box around the letters just flashed. Now it sometimes Swypes fine and sometimes flashes at me with no rhyme or reason. Thoughts?

Also as of this morning, my Yahoo mail account seems to be acting up. Gmail account is fine, it's just this one. I only have the standard "mail" app and basically it doesn't alert me to new messages like before. I have to open the mail app, hit menu, and then refresh and then it finds all my new messages. It was having problems sending out mail off and on yesterday, but doesn't seem to be having that issue so far today. I don't know if that's related but figured more info is better than less! :)

Any help with this would be awesome. Thanks!

For the swype problem, whenever your phone reboots you need to reselect swype as the input method. Heres how:
1) Press and hold in any text box (I usually just tap the search button).
2) Select "input method", and choose anything OTHER than Swype.
3) Repeat (1), but this time select Swype.
4) Swype away...

Mildly annoying, but not a huge problem in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: alison03
Upvote 0
For the swype problem, whenever your phone reboots you need to reselect swype as the input method. Heres how:
1) Press and hold in any text box (I usually just tap the search button).
2) Select "input method", and choose anything OTHER than Swype.
3) Repeat (1), but this time select Swype.
4) Swype away...

Mildly annoying, but not a huge problem in the grand scheme of things.

I definitely would not have figured that out on my own but it works perfectly! I agree, kind of dumb but no biggie at all. Thank you so much!!!

Now to conquer this Yahoo thing. Still waiting on an email I sent myself 30 minutes ago...:(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones