• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2-step code was rejected

But note that I said "I also tried typing it manually." :eek:

I always check for leading spaces anyway, so that wouldn't have been it--in my case. :)
We are glad that you got in and sorry that it was a hassle. No clue what was going on. We'll keep an eye on it, It always gives one a bad feeling when the 2 step becomes a twist.

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
We are glad that you got in and sorry that it was a hassle. No clue what was going on. We'll keep an eye on it, It always gives one a bad feeling when the 2 step becomes a twist.
Thanks, buddy. That was the first time I've ever had any sort of issue using 2-step here, so it was unexpected!

Upvote 0
...and it just happened again.

I came to the site, immediately got the 2-step notice saying an e-mail has just been sent to me; I received the e-mail and copied its code:

AF_code_email_082121.png

Came back here and pasted it in; got an error message, so tried again by manually typing it in; same result:

AF_code_correct_082121.png

AF_code_failed_082121.png

As you can see, the code is correct; no, there are no spaces or any other non-printable characters in it.

After the second failure, another code was automatically sent to me this time; I tried it, and here I am! :)

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
No idea what really went South. I have my 2 step auth generated by google. So far no snags.
It's not a big deal, but I did want to post the time, the code, the error message, etc., so if any back-end checking was to be done, it would narrow down the event to the one I'm talking about.

I'm thinking about going back to regular, not 2-step, verification. I started using 2-step after AF let me know that some joker had used my account to post some kind of bullshit. But that was a year ago (I think) and I'm ready to try again.

Upvote 0
It's not a big deal, but I did want to post the time, the code, the error message, etc., so if any back-end checking was to be done, it would narrow down the event to the one I'm talking about.

I'm thinking about going back to regular, not 2-step, verification. I started using 2-step after AF let me know that some joker had used my account to post some kind of bullshit. But that was a year ago (I think) and I'm ready to try again.
It is an added level of security that I enjoy. I implement it when offered. It is a pain to use and I wish we lived in a world where it wasn't even a consideration.

Upvote 0
If you don't want the hassle of sms/emailing codes, you can use an authenticator app. You set it up when you set up two-step here or on other sites (I use one here, Amazon, my work's HR/payroll system, and a few others) by scanning a qr code with your phone. Then you open the app and it generates a new code every 60 seconds. Just enter that in the site requesting it when you need it.

Upvote 0
If you don't want the hassle of sms/emailing codes, you can use an authenticator app. You set it up when you set up two-step here or on other sites (I use one here, Amazon, my work's HR/payroll system, and a few others) by scanning a qr code with your phone. Then you open the app and it generates a new code every 60 seconds. Just enter that in the site requesting it when you need it.
You know what category that falls under (for me)? WAY TOO MUCH WORK!! :eek: I'm using a laptop 99% of the time now, and don't want to bother bringing my phone into the equation. But it does sound useful.

This is the only site I'm using 2-step on, and really I'd just like to be done with it. I think I'll go ahead and disable it and then if some new joker comes along and does something naughty, change it back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones