1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

2011 Android Tablet able to make regular phone calls?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by celtics418, Mar 3, 2011.

1. celtics418

celtics418 Lurker
    None

Oct 9, 2010
    Hi Everyone,

I was wondering which if any tablets for 2011 will allow you to make regular phone calls from the tablet while using a blue tooth headset?

I normally use a headset anyways and don't want to carry a tablet and phone. I am not interested in skype.

Thanks for your feedback.

Advertisement

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    None so far.

3. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

Considering we are only in the third month of the year, give it some time. Sprint has a new convention coming up that may announce one so keep your ears peeled. I know Apple also discussed the iPad 2; I highly doubt it, but it may have what you are looking for.

I was going to suggest some form of VoIP but it sounds like you're not interested since you don't want Skype. The other problem associated is texting.

I doubt that they will make a tablet capable of making and receiving calls without an app because most people can't carry a tablet where they can carry their phone. You need a backpack or something else. If you're a woman, it's a bit different because you carry a handbag though. But using Bluetooth sounds alright. Not saying it's a bad or good idea, just saying that the companies don't see much potential in it.

Who knows, maybe you can be the first to develop one! :D

4. copperdawgnc

copperdawgnc Lurker
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    Huawei s7 does

5. capricorn116

capricorn116 Lurker
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Viewsonic Viewpad 7 is supposed to be phone-enabled with a SIM card. I can't find one to test it, but all the specs say GSM-enabled.

6. nb_mitch

nb_mitch Android Enthusiast
    None

May 28, 2010
    Male
    DB2 DBA
    Florida
    Dell Streak 5 is a normal smartphone, I love mine, but am looking for 6" now. I know that the 7" models out there are just too big to carry around, but I think a 6" device would work, especially if they trim the boarder a little.

7. Komodo Rogue

Komodo Rogue Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 5, 2010
    Asus MeMO is a great 7" tablet (my personal favorite size) and it has a little bluetooth dongle thing for phone calls, because holding a seven inch slate to your head is a little ridiculous. Plus, it doesn't use the Tegra 2 (I owned the dell streak 7" for 13 days and own the Atrix now, and personally, I am not a fan).

So if 7" screen works for you, it might be worth waiting for. I think it's slated for a "summer" release, according to CES 2011? But that was a long time ago now.

8. teh_dude

teh_dude Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Full time student at UT Arlington, in middle of BS
    Arlington/Denton, TX
    i normally participate elsewhere on these forums, but i found this thread via google, and i thought i'd share that i just saw a video on youtube of a guy using the dialer app on the 7" samsung galaxy tab, which has voice/data service through a cellular provider. he demonstrated making a call, but made the point that it would be better to use some peripheral device (such as bluetooth) to make/take the calls. in the demonstration, he had the other fellow on speakerphone and the other guy noted that the quality wasnt quite as high as it is when using an actual phone. that may have just been because he wasn't using a headset/earpiece or anything.