1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

20141021 ota

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sindarusco, Oct 21, 2014.

1. sindarusco

sindarusco Lurker

got a OTA push today, froze the update APP on time... (my phone is rooted, i dont want lose it...)

does anyone know what is this OTA about?

thanks a lot

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sm3g

sm3g Lurker

I got the same push and went ahead and installed it since I'm running stock/non-rooted. So far I haven't noticed any differences and the Verizon update page still points to the PDF with the information on the last update.

I should have paid attention to the version information before the update, but it is now:
    Android version: 4.1.2 (still Jelly Bean.)
    Baseband version: M8960A-1.5.38_C811M070
    Kernel version: 3.4.0
    Build number: C811M070
    Hardware version: 1.1 (this obviously would not have changed.)

Software Update: Casio G'zOne Commando® 4G LTE | Verizon Wireless

3. sindarusco

sindarusco Lurker

Thanks for the post.

seems like it is a baseband update. before the update the baseband version is

M8960A-1.5.38_C811M050

4. space_cat

space_cat Well-Known Member

this describes build c811m070:

Casio G'zOne Commando 4G LTE Software Update Benefits

THE FOLLOWING IMPROVEMENTS HAVE BEEN MADE:

• Device Freezing / Power Cycle issue has been resolved
    • Improved stability of MMS and Phone apps
    • Improvements in security with Google Security Patch
    • Added Amazon Apps
    THE FOLLOWING APPS HAVE BEEN CHANGED:​

• NFL Mobile app updated
    • Verizon Tones updated
    • Slacker radio updated
    • Amazon App Store removed

5. unitypunk

unitypunk Android Enthusiast

what happens if you have root and try to push ota? lose root?

6. callmecolt

callmecolt Well-Known Member

I updated when I saw this post. Since I got the phone, I had issues sending pictures to iPhone users. Would have to restart, then they would send. Have not seen this problem yet. Phone seems to be running a bit smoother, and my Maps app has no randomly crashed yet. For what it is worth, my phone seems to be able to pull in a signal better as well. My work area on base usually is dead, and still is, but got better service than usual the past few days. Could be the weather.

Thanks for the post! I'm not rooted or anything.

7. sindarusco

sindarusco Lurker

what i heard is most of OTA will take your root away...

thats why im scared to OTA at the moment. will OTA after some one figure out the root approach for M070 i guess~

Mikestony likes this.
  8. sindarusco

sindarusco Lurker

Thanks for the update.

interesting they play around with amazon in the ROM update lol~

9. runsondiesel

runsondiesel Member

Mine seems smoother and quicker. I didn't notice any signal differences but I did notice it seems to keep ~200mb of free RAM where before M070 it was more like 100mb. Mine isn't rooted and the Amazon stuff didn't matter because I have all of their stuff disabled. :D

10. mlrz24

mlrz24 Well-Known Member

The stock browser seems different too. I don't remember seeing incognito mode until now. Seems a little faster too. It's great to see our phones get little changes here and there being that they were discontinued.

11. Hangulman

Hangulman Lurker

I'm having troubles pulling the OTA update. It downloads, then reboots. Gets to 33% and shows poor unhappy dead android with the red triangle. Here are the specs on my phone:

Running M050
    Rooted.
    No apps removed/frozen.
    No custom ROMS (I prefer to keep my software as close to vanilla as possible. Why reinvent the wheel?)

Other than root, I have performed no system file changes or other "non-Verizon approved" changes.

The error code after it reboots is 402.

Any suggestions?

12. JKH62

JKH62 Member

13. runsondiesel

runsondiesel Member

Hi,

If you were rooted before M070, what did you have avoid doing, or undo prior to getting it to uhpdate?

Only freeze, not delete with Titanium Backup?
    Not convert anything to a system app, or vice versa?

Been tempted to root mine, but I'd rather not close the door on updates even though this is probably the last.

Can you do a factory reset after rooting?
    Does it affect being able to use vzw global roaming voice?

Anything else I should think about? I read through the all things root section and there seemed to be no clear path that wasn't littered with bricks. I rooted my first gen Commando back in the day and am a bit rusty on the subject.

Thanks
    David

14. runsondiesel

runsondiesel Member

Hi,

If you were rooted before M070, what did you have avoid doing, or undo prior to getting it to update?

Only freeze with Titanium Backup?
    Not convert anything to a system app, or vice versa?

Been tempted to root mine, but I'd rather not close the door on updates even though this is probably the last.

Can you do a factory reset after rooting?
    Does it affect being able to use vzw global roaming voice?

Anything else I should think about? I read through the all things root section and there seemed to be no clear path that wasn't littered with bricks. I rooted my first gen Commando back in the day and am a bit rusty on the subject.

Thanks
    David

15. JKH62

JKH62 Member

I was rooted long before the update. Nothing deleted from my system but frozen with Titanium backup. The update downloaded automatically this morning and I let it install without doing anything . It installed and rebooted fine but root was gone.

runsondiesel likes this.
  16. space_cat

Is your phone bricked or just not updating?

You might try the update and repair tool that comes with the phone

Read Posts #1 and #5 here: http://androidforums.com/casio-g-zone-commando-4g-lte/824931-verizon-updating-4-1-2-without-ota.html

Otherwise take it to Verizon, though they won't help if they see it's been rooted.

Googling 'Android Error 402' gets a lot of hits, but not a lot of solutions that I could see, but might be worth more research...

17. Sn8wman

Sn8wman Lurker

Although I am unrooted, I have been dodging the update because I am successfully using an app called "Quick Settings" to create a mobile hotspot, which is a must-have for me. Have any of you, that have installed the update while unrooted, been able to use Quick Settings for this purpose after the update?

18. space_cat

I have installed the update and use Portable Wifi hotspot with no problems.

Sn8wman likes this.
  19. Sn8wman

Sn8wman Lurker

After your reply, I did the update and the hotspot worked great, for both apps. I had not tried the one you mentioned before, but I actually like it better.

Thanks space_cat.

20. VoyagerXyX

VoyagerXyX Lurker

Does anybody have a flashable version of the OTA?

21. rjglenn

rjglenn Android Enthusiast

+1 for the Portable Wifi Hotspot. The update did not "fix" that loophole and that is a good thing. Anyone seeing an improvement in the LTE radio? I have LTE service now at home that I did not have before the update.

22. VoyagerXyX

VoyagerXyX Lurker

Does anyone have flashable zips of the new firmware/baseband?
    Not getting update ota.

23. VoyagerXyX

VoyagerXyX Lurker

Bump. Nobody? :(

24. mspg82

mspg82 Lurker

I had M050 now I have M070 I had to use my computer to update . at the time I had root , ota would not up date . so in order to up date , a computer would be needed to force the update ;-) since I was rooted. when doing any update using a PC Note!!! Do not use cheap USB transfer cables use the one that came with your phone .

Casio G'Zone Commando 4G LTE Forum

The Casio G'Zone Commando 4G LTE release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.6" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, processor, and 1460mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews