1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

2015 Android flagship phones

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by wooky69, Nov 19, 2014.

1. wooky69

wooky69 Android Enthusiast

So 2015 is approaching fast, I see a few rumours of new phones from Sony, Samsung, LG among others but I don't see any for a new Moto.

I was hoping for a near pure Android phone with great battery life on the horizon.

Anyone hear rumour of a phone to fit the bill? :)

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

There could be some big changes for them, once the new owners takes over(Lenovo).
    Erm.. Samsung S6 and Note 5, Oppo Find 9, Meizu MX5, Xiaomi Mi5, Vivo X4, Apple iPhone 7, etc. ...well that's what I might be seeing in 2015 anyway.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

^Sony Xperia Z4, HTC One M9, LG G4... Would also be expected unless they decide on a different name again for their flagships.

4. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Here's a rumor about the HTC One (M9) from PhoneArena. .2 inch larger screen, another GB of RAM, and a step up to the Snapdragon 805 are among the predictions. What I'd like to see is some kind of bass boost built-in, maybe some kind of tube along the inside of the speaker housings... The screen resolution is also predicted to be sharper but honestly, how sharp can the human eye really see?

5. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Hi wooky69, I moved your thread to the Device Comparisons forum :)

wooky69 likes this.
  6. wooky69

Thanks Kate.

Other than Moto and Google though most of those phones come with lots apps and skins, Sense, Touchwiz etc. Is a Nexus 6 or Moto x my only choice.

Battery life really is a killer feature for me.

I'm UK based.

---------------------

I'd not heard of a Xiaomi Mi5 mikedt :)

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Sony's version is actually pretty close to stock Android.

8. wooky69

Really? I didn't expect that, I might take a look at their offerings then.

Are they slow with updates though? I have a Galaxy S3 at the moment and they drove me mad with their glacial releases, I went to CyanogenMod in the end.

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Ehh, the S3 was a bad design. Had too heavy of a TouchWiz overlay but only 1GB RAM, which is why the updates got lagged. The newer TouchWiz actually seems lighter on resources than older ones.

Anyway, so far they seem to be doing well on updates.

10. wooky69

Hmmm I may look at the S6 then. My S3 is desperately in need of replacement though so might go back to looking at the Nexus 6 for now.

elmanc likes this.
  11. Shocky

Shocky Android Expert

The usual devices..

Nexus 6 (2nd Gen) LG G4, Xperia Z4, Moto X 2015, meh.. Also the Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 however their skins are on the heavy side.

Will be interesting to see what the OnePlus Two is like..

12. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

In other words, since recent flagships have these specs (Moto Maxx/Droid Turbo) let's predict that flagships in a couple of months time will match them. Nice work Phonearena - I could start rumors like that with no inside knowledge at all ;)

13. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

TBH, and somewhat to my surprise, I've not found the last couple of versions of HTC Sense heavy, if you mean performance. It is somewhat different visually from AOSP, but I've not found it a problem (whereas I very quickly went AOSP with previous HTC handsets).

But yeah, update model numbers for most, add in spec bumps you can largely predict from industry trends and Qualcomm's roadmap, and you won't be far off.

There are occasional statements about more major changes (e.g. this week's talk of Samsung releasing bendable screens soon, which is probably being over-interpreted by people who report this as meaning bendable phones), but I'd guess incremental will be the name of the game.

14. wooky69

The only thing they consistently fail to add is better battery. I'm so disappointed that the Moto DroidMaxx isn't coming to the U.K. That looked like my ideal phone, good specs, minimal extra software and a massive battery.

15. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

All Z-series devices are currently on 4.4.4, with the rollout of Android 5.0 scheduled for "early 2015" in the case of the Z3 range. All Z-series back to the original Xperia Z have been confirmed as receiving v5.0.