1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

2017 10 inch HD

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by daffyducknj, Jan 18, 2018.

1. daffyducknj

daffyducknj Android Enthusiast

Looks like it's worth it. I do know that it's possible to install Google play, via directions from how to geek, and xda.

I am considering some other tablets, but the current 10 inch seems like a great choice for the price, especially as it's a full 1080p screen, and has either a 32 or 64 GB internal storage option + microSD slot (up to 256 GB).

Does anyone have any idea as to which Android version the Fire OS is based on currently? I've read some reports saying it's on Lollipop. That might be limiting, if I want to try some newer apps on the Fire tablet. That, and I wish it had better cameras... cameras aren't a deal killer for me on a tablet.

If I pick one up, it'll likely be from a local Best Buy store.

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Ten inches is too big. Get something you can hold in one hand.

3. daffyducknj

I also need it for reading intricate articles, such as circuit diagrams and music notation. Anything less than ten inches won't cut it for me in those areas. I do understand where you're coming from with your comment. I also have an older tablet that has a 7 inch screen. I use that one primarily for my e-book stash.

4. Jhayzone

Jhayzone Android Enthusiast

Yeah it is stuck on 5.1 which is a shame since its a pretty good tablet for the price. Amazon probably doesn't consider people who manually install the playstore and might be looking for new apps and games that amazon underground doesn't offer.

5. daffyducknj

My older 7 inch tablet, which is a rooted Samsung Galaxy tab 4, surprisingly still runs newer versions of some software. I run a stripped 4.4.4 ROM, and an overclock kernel on it.

Unless there are serious security or OS compatibility issues, I should be able to run whatever I want on the new Fire 10. I'll probably hold off on rooting it for a bit.

Just bought one, and scored the 64 GB version locally, BTW. That one is apparently hard to pick up locally in some stores ATM.

6. daffyducknj

Updated to 5.6.0.1. Still based on Lollipop 5.1.1. Having a great time with it. Being able to play 1080p movies on it is a blast!

I have a question for anyone else that owns it, or any other fire tablet... is it possible to beam amazon movies from the tablet via Chromecast, or will I have to invest in a fire stick?

Amazon Kindle Fire HD Forum

The Amazon Kindle Fire HD release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 7.0" inch screen, 1.3MP camera, 1GB RAM, and TI OMAP 4460 processor.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews