• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root *228 not working after Root and going to Froyo

khanusma

May 2, 2010
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I decided to try to goto Froyo. I have never previously rooted before this experience.

I followed the instructions here and on the internets and was successfully able to update my phone in the following order:

> Radio OTA leak
> Unrevoked3 Root
> Froyo ROM
> Market fix "fingerprint_froyo.zip"

Now I am unable to *228 and program with either a 1 or a 2. The message "programming in progress" does come up but after about 10 seconds, the voice tells me that I cannot update at this time and I should call customer service.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to troubleshoot? I assume its due to the upgrade and not a coincidence.

Not that it's the same issue as when I used to load blackberry OS's but every now and again that would happen where *228 would not work. I always thought it was something I did wrong... But after discovering it worked later, i'd just wait a while and try it again... Sometimes the ota activation programming is down for some reason or another.

and why wouldn't you do *22899 instead of *228?

Upvote 0
Not that it's the same issue as when I used to load blackberry OS's but every now and again that would happen where *228 would not work. I always thought it was something I did wrong... But after discovering it worked later, i'd just wait a while and try it again... Sometimes the ota activation programming is down for some reason or another.

and why wouldn't you do *22899 instead of *228?

Not to sound overly noobish but what's the difference. *22899 I just tried seems to just go straight in. What does it do differently or is it just like going straight to option 1?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones