1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root *228 not working after Root and going to Froyo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by khanusma, Jul 29, 2010.

1. khanusma

khanusma Active Member

May 2, 2010
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I decided to try to goto Froyo. I have never previously rooted before this experience.

I followed the instructions here and on the internets and was successfully able to update my phone in the following order:

> Radio OTA leak
    > Unrevoked3 Root
    > Froyo ROM
    > Market fix "fingerprint_froyo.zip"

Now I am unable to *228 and program with either a 1 or a 2. The message "programming in progress" does come up but after about 10 seconds, the voice tells me that I cannot update at this time and I should call customer service.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to troubleshoot? I assume its due to the upgrade and not a coincidence.

Advertisement

2. andreezy

andreezy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2010
    i work
    Canton, OH
    Not that it's the same issue as when I used to load blackberry OS's but every now and again that would happen where *228 would not work. I always thought it was something I did wrong... But after discovering it worked later, i'd just wait a while and try it again... Sometimes the ota activation programming is down for some reason or another.

and why wouldn't you do *22899 instead of *228?

3. HolyGrail

HolyGrail Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Just tried it. Updated roaming, button 2. Worked just fine. Running leaked Froyo 2.2.

4. khanusma

khanusma Active Member

May 2, 2010
    I fixed the problem. I went to bed and woke up and now there seem to be no issues. Works for me :).

Obviously I don't know what happened to resolve the problem but *228 1 and 2 are now working.

Thanks for the responses.

5. Fezzik77

Fezzik77 Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010

Not to sound overly noobish but what's the difference. *22899 I just tried seems to just go straight in. What does it do differently or is it just like going straight to option 1?

6. JustDroid

JustDroid Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    *22899 does both options automatically without you having to do *228 then option 1, reboot, call *228 again and do option 2. Saves a little time and effort.

andreezy likes this.