1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

2306 Quadrant score

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Socrats, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Socrats

Socrats Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Im on a 2.1 Samsung Captivate brand new, rooted, and I also installed lag fix. :D I ran quadrant and got a 2306 :eek: Faster then phones on 2.2 LOL

[​IMG]

Advertisement

2. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Quadrant scores when run on a phone modified with OCLF are meaningless. The old (and arguably dangerous) hack that it uses basically "games" (unintentionally) the benchmark and results in artificially-inflated numbers that have no real correlation in the real world.

3. Socrats

Socrats Member
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    So are you saying that was a meaningless test?

4. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Because of the way it works (loop driver, virtualization layer), yes.

Sort of akin to putting your car in neutral, revving up the RPMs to 4000 and thinking you're going really fast.

Proper lagfixes involve natively changing the filesystems to ext4, which requires at least a custom/modified kernel, or (more typically) a whole custom ROM. Either way, you're not running "stock" anymore.

5. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Pretty much.

6. harryzwd

harryzwd Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    NJ, USA
    i see sremick is still knocking the "lagfix". and of course it was supposed to screw up my phone when i rooted and installed it like 6-8 months ago or whenever it was, but unfortunately my phone is still running strong and quick with zero problems. oh well, there's always a chance it will catch fire and brick itself somehow in the days to come.

congrats on rooting and lagfixing - i'm sure you're loving it. :D

7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest
    None
    Yes it is a "lagfix", but it is a riskier one to use over the ext4 filesystem with the only benefit being inflated Quadrant scores which equates to no real world experience.

8. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    It's not "the" lagfix. It's "a" lagfix... and an old outdated one using a dangerous method.

While it's good you've had no problems yet, pulling the trigger 20 times in Russian Roulette and not dying still doesn't make it a safe game.

Find anyone of any reputation over at XDA who thinks using OCLF is a safe or wise idea. The response is universal: it's extremely easy to get data-corruption when using loop lagfixes as well as an archaic filesystem such as ext2.

Better "lagfix" methods are done in the custom ROMs, which bake-in native ext4 support so you don't need any of that other nonsense. It does mean going down the route of a custom ROM though.