1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General 24 Hours with my Desire S

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by skunkonkrunk, Apr 8, 2011.

1. skunkonkrunk

skunkonkrunk Member
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Musician / Mobile retail
    England
    I got my Desire S this morning and I have to say I'm really really impressed. I've got access to quite a few phones and it almost makes me feel stupid for not going with a HTC until recently.Something I can only utter anonymously on the Internet for fear of colleagues ridding my defence of Samsung's (frankly) plastic shit.

Its very well built, attractive, contemporary smart phone and I'd recommend it to anyone. Even with the duel core droids on the horizon I'd say this is worth a good look, it seems like HTC really care about making a great phone. Something that I wish all manufactures would consider, no names mentioned.

Battery went from 100% to 63% over 9 hours. With about 15 minutes of Angry birds, 15 minutes of Sens 9x, 20 minutes of call time, 32 texts, and
    10 minutes of Google maps. A few pictures and Wikipedia on the train for 30 minutes too. Seems pretty solid, but I've got the display brightness pretty low and all the connections (Blue tooth, WIFI, 3G and location services) off so it might not pan out too great, we'll see.

If its not already apparent, I'm pretty won over by it. Apologies if the majority of this post was inconsistent battle, its early.

Advertisement

2. scott7saunders

None

Apr 10, 2011
    its definately a nice device and the build quality is great, compared to the Samsung Nexus S then your right about the whole "plastic shit" comments.

have you done anything cool with it yet, perhaps tinkers or rooting etc?

3. skunkonkrunk

skunkonkrunk Member
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Musician / Mobile retail
    England
    I may root it, I'm not sure yet.

I had my Dell Streak rooted. It was pretty cool but I never really look advantage of it. Something I'm thinking about getting into though. What are the real advantages that it gives me?

4. ben_pyett

ben_pyett Member
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Wivenhoe, Essex, UK

Unfortunately, I don't believe that rooting is currently an option for us, with this device, due to the signed boot loader (See article (forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1005967)) which I believe is also on the new HTC Incredible S, but, hopefully someone out there far smarter than me, will find a way round this soon!

I'd suggest that you monitor this forum :

Desire S - All Things Root - Android Forums

for all updates....

skunkonkrunk likes this.
  5. skunkonkrunk

skunkonkrunk Member
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Musician / Mobile retail
    England
    Tell me about it mate.

I understand why people do it, and why it works. I could never imagine myself learning everything I need to know to actually figure it out! Not enough hours in the day.

6. chippy1970

chippy1970 Newbie
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Got mine Thursday last week and youre right it is a great quality phone. I love the touch screen its a million times better than my old Nokia 5800 where you had to press quite hard on the screen or use the stylus.

Anyone know if Android has a built in 3G counter so I can watch I dont go over my mobile internet limit, or do you have to get an app for it ???

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    you need an app - 3G watchdog to be precise.

8. chippy1970

chippy1970 Newbie
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Yeah thats the one I spotted I thought something like that would be built in to Gingerbread.

Cheers

9. nehasharma

nehasharma Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    are there any wifi issues......and wifi signal drop in normal use.......is there any drop when using the phone in landscape mode?

10. shavenlunatic

shavenlunatic Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    just signed up to say... seemingly so.

I was watching the tube on my Desire S (just got it 2 days ago) and when I flipped to landscape, my wifi cut off.. i just figured it was due to my router being lame.. but when i went back up to portrait it was back again.. by chance I was reading this thread due to pondering rooting the thing and spotted your comment

11. nehasharma

nehasharma Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    this the problem with the desire s.....the wifi antenna is placed just underneath the plastic area housing the camera and flash so signal drop is very easy to trigger accidentally ......the wifi problem has become a major issue......its a shame that such a gorgeous device is let down by such problems

12. shavenlunatic

shavenlunatic Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    so is there a way of handling the phone and avoiding the drop?

13. skunkonkrunk

skunkonkrunk Member
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Musician / Mobile retail
    England
    Holding the device right under the camera seems to cause a small amount of attenuation. But I must confess, I've not noticed it too much myself. Its certainly not like an iPhone style death grip.

I'm coming from a Nexus S, which had the weakest WIFI chip I've ever seen. So the fact I can get WIFI in my bedroom at all is pretty good.

14. gornaldo

gornaldo Lurker
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    Had the device since release date and absolutely no problems with wifi dropping here.

Beautiful, beautiful phone - And this is from and ex-iPhone user of 3 years.

15. nehasharma

nehasharma Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    how is the battery life on the desire s.......should i go fo the Desire S or the Incredible S?

16. kumar3234

kumar3234 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    India

Since there are a few faulty Desire S handsets with wifi issue and there is no clarity on this whether it is a design issue...i suggest u to go for Incredible S...awesome phone...

17. gram333

gram333 Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Glad your impressed with it! I have been using mine for a week and cant praise it enough! I was iphone for the last 3 years and only now realise how terrible ios is! Android is pretty amazing!! Just being able to mount it as a drive to copy stuff over is a winner for me! Still trying to set up some streaming things from my home network, cant get the Gallery app to see my pc.

My views on battery, 48 hours of light use resulted in 50% battery left(no games,checking email maybe 10 times, quick browse of net and twitter, most data via wifi). Was testing it out under normal phone use, now i can play with it!! :)

18. shavenlunatic

shavenlunatic Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    sorry to cross-post from another thread.. but felt the need to quote myself here

wondering if i should wait a few weeks, take it back to the store and get a replacement, hopefully with a new batch number and even more hopefully, with better wifi

Tags: