• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2500 worth of music bought on ITunes and only 30% works with my phone?

Last year I bought the galaxy and when I used iSync it only loaded about 30% of my songs because I had to upgrade because of iTunes copyrit crap and it was like 600 bucks. I'm bout to dump my iPhone but I want to make sure I can get all my songs on there now? Has things changed since last summer?

Last year I bought the galaxy and when I used iSync it only loaded about 30% of my songs because I had to upgrade because of iTunes copyrit crap and it was like 600 bucks. I'm bout to dump my iPhone but I want to make sure I can get all my songs on there now? Has things changed since last summer?

Yes, iTunes songs purchased since 2009 are DRM free, and so will play on any Android device. I would just BitTorrent any songs you have which still have DRM, seen as you've already paid for them.

Upvote 0
Yikes. Now that's what I call lock-in.

Upvote 0
I believe there should also be an option hidden somewhere in the iTunes menu's where you can convert the music to mp3's. I know I stumbled upon that myself after being seriously pissed off in college because of the crappy locks iTunes puts on everything. I'll have to get home and search through the menu's in my iTunes before I'll be able to tell you where to go about looking for the option, but it worked wonders for me.

Upvote 0
Any ideas where that mp3 option is?

It's only available for non-DRM songs. Any songs without DRM, you can play on your Android phone without converting to MP3. You can tell which of your songs has DRM, their file suffix is .M4P rather than the default .M4A, also they show as 'Protected AAC' using in Get Info in iTunes.

.M4A plays on Android.
.M4P does not.

Apple and the RIAA wants you to pay for all of your music again, in a non-DRM'd format this time. That's why I suggest that you BitTorrent them, instead of paying twice for the same music.

Upvote 0
I finally found a person who spent nearly as much as I did on iTunes.

You probably bought most of your tunes before April 2009 which is about the time Apple stopped removing DRM off their tunes.

However, in many of the DRM'ed tunes, to turn them into non-DRM, you have to pay extra and iTunes will redownload and convert those tunes into non-DRM.

Apple had a different set of agreements for music studios with regarding non DRM music and this change of conditions made the costs higher.

In any case, the vast majority of my iTunes would work on my Android as I did fork up for the non DRM expense anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones