• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

cipher6

Android Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2010
South Texas
Investigative Project on Terrorism, recently did an analysis of all terrorism convictions based on statistics released by the Justice Department. These stats show that more than 80% of all convictions tied to international terrorist groups and homegrown terrorism since 9/11 involve defendants driven by a radical Islamist agenda. Though Muslims represent less than 1% of the American population, they constitute defendants in 186 of the 228 cases the Justice Department lists.

The figures confirm that there is a disproportionate problem of Islamic militancy and terrorism among the American Muslim population.

Read more: Muslim American groups, not Rep. Pete King, are the ones fomenting hysteria with hearings on tap

Controversy over the hearings has been building for weeks. Many Muslims fear they will be made targets, while religious and civil rights leaders are protesting what they see as ethnic profiling and the singling out of a particular minority.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/us/politics/11king.html?_r=1

The Southern Poverty Law Center today urged Congress to investigate growing evidence that racial extremists are infiltrating the U.S. military and take steps to ensure that the armed forces are not inadvertently training future domestic terrorists.

The SPLC again brought the problem to the attention of Pentagon officials in 1996, after three neo-Nazi soldiers stationed at Fort Bragg murdered a black couple in North Carolina in a ritualistic, racially motivated slaying. Pentagon regulations were strengthened following an investigation by an Army task force and hearings by the House Armed Services Committee.

SPLC Urges Congress to Investigate Extremism in the Military | Southern Poverty Law Center

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The top Democrat on the House Homeland Security Committee says Thursday's hearing on Islamic radicalism could be used by terrorists to inspire a new generation of suicide bombers.

Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi says in prepared remarks that Congress has a responsibility to make sure its words do not make problems worse.
News from The Associated Press

I don't know why... but this reminds me of the Red Scare and Senator McCarthy. That did not end well.

It is similar. However, there is one difference that is actually kind of huge...

During the red scare, we didn't actually have attacks being attempted and/or perpetrated by Communists in the US.

Another difference is... we aren't looking at Muslims as evil, but when they become radicalized (which is apparently happening fairly often... time wise, not per capita Muslim wise) they become a threat which needs to be dealt with.

Upvote 0
^ Yeah... The Bible has tons of passages that people do not believe in today and are actually strongly against because they promote violence also. If you'd like for me to find them for you, I'd be glad to.

There are as many Islamic extremists as there are "warriors for Christ"

Go for it, I'll pick them apart as fast as you can post em. Context is everything.

Upvote 0
Go for it, I'll pick them apart as fast as you can post em. Context is everything.

THANK YOU! :D Exactly the response I was looking for. Context is everything. The way that people take single phrases out of the Koran... we can do the exact same thing with the Bible and make it appear the same as the Koran promoting violence.

Some examples:

"In Samuel 15:2-3, the Lord orders Saul to kill all the Amalekite men, women and infants."

"In Numbers 31, the Lord tells Moses to kill all the Midianites, sparing only the virgins."

"In Mark 7:9, Jesus is critical of the Jews for not killing their disobedient children as prescribed by Old Testament law."

"In Luke 19:22-27, Jesus orders killed anyone who refuses to be ruled by him."

So what do we know this from? Single quotes doesn't tell the whole picture in the Bible as it does in the Koran.

Upvote 0
THANK YOU! :D Exactly the response I was looking for. Context is everything. The way that people take single phrases out of the Koran... we can do the exact same thing with the Bible and make it appear the same as the Koran promoting violence.

Some examples:

"In Samuel 15:2-3, the Lord orders Saul to kill all the Amalekite men, women and infants."

"In Numbers 31, the Lord tells Moses to kill all the Midianites, sparing only the virgins."

"In Mark 7:9, Jesus is critical of the Jews for not killing their disobedient children as prescribed by Old Testament law."

"In Luke 19:22-27, Jesus orders killed anyone who refuses to be ruled by him."

So what do we know this from? Single quotes doesn't tell the whole picture in the Bible as it does in the Koran.

No where in the bible does it say to kill all unbelievers. Context or not.

I'm assuming you are talking about 1 Samuel 15? This as in Numbers the command is issued against one peoples and it is limited by a one time strike. Not a continuous battle.

Neither mark nor luke have any thing in them that you referenced. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you ... Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die. -- Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Reactions: Vihzel
Upvote 0

I'm assuming you are talking about 1 Samuel 15? This as in Numbers the command is issued against one peoples and it is limited by a one time strike. Not a continuous battle.

Neither mark nor luke have any thing in them that you referenced. :rolleyes:

New International Version: For Moses said,

Upvote 0
The difference... Christian theology says the bible was written by man with divine inspiration. So, we can look at passages like that, and that say to enslave the neighboring tribes, or kill homosexuals, and chalk it up to, that was just how things were back then. Its an error of man, not a commandment from God.

Islamic theology says, the Koran is the direct unaltered word of God himself, nothing can be wrong, if one simple passage is proved wrong, it means God's wrong, which he can't be because he is infallible, and collapses the entire belief system.

Upvote 0
The difference... Christian theology says the bible was written by man with divine inspiration. So, we can look at passages like that, and that say to enslave the neighboring tribes, or kill homosexuals, and chalk it up to, that was just how things were back then. Its an error of man, not a commandment from God.

Islamic theology says, the Koran is the direct unaltered word of God himself, nothing can be wrong, if one simple passage is proved wrong, it means God's wrong, which he can't be because he is infallible, and collapses the entire belief system.

I was always told by Christians and Catholics that the Bible is the word of God, not of man. Where did this change? I'm sure you've heard the phrase "word of God" before.

Your description of Islamic theology is exactly what I've always been told of the Bible, even when I used to attend Bible school and go to church.

Upvote 0
If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you ... Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die. -- Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Old testament applied to Israel. Does not apply AD. Again no command to lay siege to unbelievers.

New International Version: For Moses said,

Upvote 0
Some denominations take a literal interpretation... but not many, and certainly not Catholic. Go read up on your Catholic theology.

Hmm... I should tell my devout Catholic friend that because she annoys the hell out of me when she uses the Bible as defense for any controversial discussion on Facebook and keeps saying that it's "the word of God", God said this... said that..., and so forth. You've enlightened me. Thank you!

Crude... I don't think you understand my point. I am not talking about anything in the context that it's in. I am talking about how taking single phrases out of a text and using them as examples is not the best thing to do as it can be done with the Bible but you and I both know that it the entire context, it's not the same. I'm not trying to convince you of anything other than it's easy to take things out of context. It's basically the same thing that media and politicians do to each other.

I still don't understand why people use :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones