• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2D darker 3D brighter

geoid

Aug 15, 2012
Searched here for anything being said about this and nothing found so I wanted to find out if other people reading here have seen this happening with their EVO V.

I returned my first one because of a 3D focusing problem but that one also had overly bright 3D pictures. The replacement has the same trouble with brightness differences of 2D and 3D pictures. :( Luckily no focus problem. :)

Posting these two examples. Only switched from 2D to 3D, after I already tried setting exposure to -1, so no actual changes done between them.

Improves the 3D but makes 2D dark. And almost seems the -2 exposure setting doesn't really fix the 3D either, as though it's just so bad that exposure can't compensate correctly.

That said, I haven't actually checked every possible combination in the settings yet, although I did try contrast (-1), white balance (daylight) and enhance (off).

Another observation... I wasn't expecting a field of view difference when I first got the EVO V, meaning the 3D seems to zoom in. I realize there's an image resolution change but I just thought both 2D and 3D would appear to be the same "zoom" before I saw what these cameras were doing.

Another thing I should say, when viewed on the EVO V I noticed a brightness shift going on which looks like it tries to equalize for a dimming 3D image. I know I had been reading about the inherent dimming of these type of screens long before I got this thing, but the flashing brightness change looks peculiar to me when I scroll from 2D to 3D pictures, blinks a moment then settles into what appears to be an approximately similar brightness level for both 2D and 3D. Despite the actual wrong exposures, of course.

Yet another point about it, I'm guessing this could be solved in software so maybe there could be a fix in an update? I really don't like the idea of going to settings every time I switch from 2D to 3D!

Attachments

• 2DevoVdark.jpg
    2DevoVdark.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 3DevoVbright.jpg
    3DevoVbright.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 87
Two cameras, double the exposure.

If it were only that simple.
Shouldn't be any doubling of exposure since the side by side images are separate. Although I could see why they might appear brighter when combined on-screen, yet that's when it actually dims.

I've realized the flashing I've been seeing is from the parallax barrier engaging or disengaging when changing views from 2D to 3D or 3D to 2D.

I just don't understand any reasoning for the exposure to be different, especially since the 2D camera is also one used for the 3D, I would think at least whichever one that is should remain the same and not change.

Again, I'm wondering if other people see the same thing happening.

I haven't looked for anybody posting comparisons of their 2D and either of their left and right 3D pictures. That's something I will try to find in the meantime.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones