• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2XL to 4a?

NewArtDroid

Apr 26, 2013
New York City area
I have loved my Google Pixel 2 XL. By far the best phone I've had. I did not like my previous phone, the Turbo 2, I did like Droid Maxxx, I liked Bionic, and I the original Motorola Droid was good for me at the time (2010 - 2012).

Based on what I've seen of reviews of the 4a, it seems to be similar to the 2 XL, but it has the 3.5 mm jack too. Would others agree? Should this be what I upgrade to?

The screen area is slightly smaller but the device itself is much smaller, which is a good trade-off. The processor may be "mid range", but I'll take a 2020 mid-range SoC over a 2017 flagship one any time (the 700 series have always been a good balance of computing power and energy efficiency). And yeah, forget the excuses that various manufacturers have made, removing the 3.5mm jack was always about increasing their margins and of no benefit to the user (I always think it telling that Apple started it just a few months after they bought a popular headphone manufacturer - I'm sure they hoped to benefit from driving people to bluetooth headphones).

My Pixel 2 is still working fine apart from the battery life not being what it was, so on environmental grounds I'm so far resisting upgrading to the 4a. But if anything happens to it (or the battery lets me down in a bad way) then it's a no-brainer indeed.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones