• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3.1 Coming Next Week. Leaked download available. Nice Review of it at Hot Hardware.

This is My Next reports from Computex telling us we'll be seeing our 3.1 update next week. To make it even better, Hot Hardware loaded up their Transformer with it and gave us a nice little review. Smoother, faster, less lag, better browsing experience and the typical 3.1 stuff people saw in the Xoom update. Not to mention a dock update with keyboard, trackpad and USB improvements.

Leaked download. Get cracking. Came home to a completely dead TF so I'm charging for a few but downloading it now.

Looking forward to this, and kudos to Asus for being so on top of support for this puppy. Reinforcing my decision to jump early on this.

And I hope this doesn't hit on Memorial Day because I'd prefer to spend it outside in the sun rather than on the sofa toying with my TF.

Some noteworthy excerpts:

significantly more responsive multitasking capabilities and even a slightly more responsive touch interface. Previously, there was a 5 second lag when going from the home screen back to the Books app, so the device could pull data on the eBook out of cache. That lag is no longer and in general, switching between apps is more fluid and responsive. Also web browsing has been goosed up a notch or two, with significantly more responsive pinch, zoom and scroll action.
Overall, the browsing experience feels much more accessible and desktop-like, in terms of user interface and functionality.
Other small updates to the Eee Pad Transformer, that are available to end users now, are improved typing speeds, mouse tracking and USB compatibility. This is courtesy of a firmware update for the Transformer's keyboard dock. In short, if you're an early adopter and jumped on the Eee Pad Transformer when it first hit, your investment just served up a bunch more ROI and your experience just got better.

I download the file following the link in the first post. It did not give me an option of where to download the file to so I don't know if it went to the SD card or not. I followed the instructions 3 times but still only have version 3.01. The second time I was going through the process it wiped all the data in my TF so now I will have to reload all my apps and redo all the settings. Anybody have any ideas why this is not working?

Upvote 0
You should've downloaded it to your computer and then copied it over to the root or main directory of your microSD card or at least gone into the file manager on your TF and moved it to the root directory of your microSD. Your browser doesn't know it needs to be saved in the root directory. It'll save it in the default downloads directory. It's really no different than flashing with your phone. Files always go in the root directory of the card. Then do the volume down/power on thing. As soon as you get the small writing in the top left of the screen, press volume up and it should start the update.

And if you let the recovery go on to long it's rather easy to mess up and factory reset your TF, hence my stupid me comment above.

Upvote 0
People were saying they were getting it within five minutes of installing the 3.1 update. The 3.1 update would trigger the dock update. At least that's what was mentioned in threads elsewhere along with the article. They could've shut it down though. Wish they wouldn't have. Kinda sucks having the silky smooth update only to get lagged down by a slow keyboard every now and then.

Upvote 0
You should've downloaded it to your computer and then copied it over to the root or main directory of your microSD card or at least gone into the file manager on your TF and moved it to the root directory of your microSD. Your browser doesn't know it needs to be saved in the root directory. It'll save it in the default downloads directory. It's really no different than flashing with your phone. Files always go in the root directory of the card. Then do the volume down/power on thing. As soon as you get the small writing in the top left of the screen, press volume up and it should start the update.

And if you let the recovery go on to long it's rather easy to mess up and factory reset your TF, hence my stupid me comment above.

Sorry, but you have lost me. I am a novice when it comes to manipulating computer software. I used file manager and could not find the download that notification said had completed. Perhaps I'm better off just waiting until 3.1 is released by ASUS.

Upvote 0
I admit I am still seeing pretty severe lag when it comes to typing on the standard browser via the docking keyboard. To the point I am looking at others. I wonder if that has to do with the lack of dock update for me.

Yes the laggy browser typing ruins the overall slick experience on such a nice device. Hey when you open the android market does the 'movie tab' displays? Mines does not, or is this and extra feature only for the 3.1 Xoom?

Upvote 0
As far as I know, the dock update should take it beyond 0209. I did the manual 3.1 update, and I didn't see a dock update after like some have said. The new update was supposed to cure a lot of the dock ills.

I do wish someone who did the OTA updates would post all the version numbers in the 'about tablet" section so we can compare with the leaked update, at least for reassurance purposes.

Upvote 0
Just did all of the updates available to me including a dock update as I just got the dock. My dock firmware says 0209. Sounds like that might not be the latest and greatest though, yes? I'm also seeing the lag with the typing on the keyboard dock. Everything else seems good though.

Mine says the same thing as yours for the dock update. I do know that was the number for the hallways that happened on May 19th.

Some websites seem to be faster with typing than others. I have started looking at other browsers too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones