1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

3.1 Update not installing with Root?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JDuc, May 16, 2011.

1. JDuc

JDuc Well-Known Member

I'm rooted and running 3.0.

I have a 3g Xoom but haven't activated it, thus just running on Wifi for the time being.

I came home after being on the road without internet access for a 24 hour period and connected to my home wifi and suddenly had a notification that an update was ready to install. Let it reboot to install and ended up with an exclamation mark on the screen that was flashing. Rebooted and checked and I was still on 3.0.

I still have root, but I can't seem to find the update file anywhere (just a brief search).

I'm wondering if I'm not able to install the update since I'm rooted? If this is the case, is my best bet to just follow this thread over on XDA? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1073462

thanks in advance for any assistance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Android Expert

Not sure if this will do it for your Xoom, but turn off all data services, just leaving WiFi on, and try again. That's what worked for me when my X wouldn't update.

3. JDuc

JDuc Well-Known Member

Where did you find the update on your Xoom? It tried to install again today, but wasn't successful.

4. IHateMyTreo

It was just there when I turned in on. It said "update available" - clicked and installed. You can also try Settings:About Tablet:System Updates: Check Now (lower right corner of screen)

5. JDuc

JDuc Well-Known Member

Mine is the same. I've tried to check now multiple times but it doesn't find the update again.

It just doesn't want to install for some reason and I'm wondering if it's the fact that I'm rooted...

6. IHateMyTreo

I think your root is the problem. I have read about having to roll back to stock in order to update. Have you searched here: supportforums.motorola.com ?

7. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Android Enthusiast

If you're already rooted, why don't you just go over to the XDA developers site and pick up HC 3.1 over there? Also if you plan on staying rooted it might be a good idea NOT to get over the air updates because they usually end up breaking your root and possibly causing other troubles with your device..which is true no matter what device you have, be it xoom, htc evo...etc. Over at XDA they already have an Over Clocking Kernel .. Tiamat I think it's called, and you can over clock your device to 1600MHz .. if you're into that kind of thing. :)

8. p8ntballah21

p8ntballah21 Android Enthusiast

Go Here and follow the instructions, this will give you 3.1 with root intact
    [UPDATE][HC3.1] Wifi and 3G! Completely Flashable! No Fastboot Needed! - xda-developers

Then go here and download either the 1.4 or 1.6 overclock kernal (Tiamat)
    This thing will have your xoom screaming!

[KERNEL][AOSP][HC3.1] Tiamat Xoom Kernel Series Version 1.4.2 [Update: 5/16] - xda-developers

9. JDuc

JDuc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links. So I've just now had a chance to sit down and give this a go, however, I'm realizing that I don't have SD card support?

I'm currently on 3.0.1, Kernel 2.6.36.3-g2a65edc, android-build@apa28 #1. Build #HRI66

Do I need to update to a version that gives me SD card support first before attempting anything else? I guess I've just not kept up with all of this since picking up my Xoom...:(

EDIT: Never mind - figured out that if I just boot into recovery and tell it to look at the SD card for .zip files it will find the SD card. Flashing new .img now.